Mr2Saint

David Montgomery 2019 Outlook

14 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

From watching a couple decades of NFL running backs come and go (he's faster than a 4.6 guy btw), top speed doesn't really matter. Part of why Montgomery was highly regarded was his ability to make guys miss. That's far more important. 

• Like 4

With Chase starting now, I feel Nagy has no choice but to run the damn ball now. I want to say this benefits Montgomery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leopard said:

With Chase starting now, I feel Nagy has no choice but to run the damn ball now. I want to say this benefits Montgomery. 

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK!!!

• Haha 6

On 9/30/2019 at 6:17 AM, sportsfreak2744 said:

That may be true but he tip toes up to the line. I was a bit shocked watching him yesterday, he looked really soft out there. 

I just figured he was compensating for his lack of burst by doing the whole "Wait to see what develops, then pick a lane" thing. It's one of the only real ways to be successful as a slower back if you don't have a vintage Cowboys or Broncos O-line or aren't built like a bus.

Arian Foster had a similar lack of speed/explosion and relied on vision and elusiveness to become a star. That's basically the blueprint for Montgomery. One wonders, though, if it can happen within Nagy's scheme.

11 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

I just figured he was compensating for his lack of burst by doing the whole "Wait to see what develops, then pick a lane" thing. It's one of the only real ways to be successful as a slower back if you don't have a vintage Cowboys or Broncos O-line or aren't built like a bus.

Arian Foster had a similar lack of speed/explosion and relied on vision and elusiveness to become a star. That's basically the blueprint for Montgomery. One wonders, though, if it can happen within Nagy's scheme.

This, peak Arian had everything but speed, but you never would've noticed from watching him drop 150 yards on teams. It doesn't hurt, obviously, but it's pretty irrelevant. The vision to follow the blocks and let your lineman take out first guy, and the ability to evade or run over the second and third guy (both?) are easily the most important things, and speed is a very, very distant factor.

Posted (edited)

Lo

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

This, peak Arian had everything but speed, but you never would've noticed from watching him drop 150 yards on teams. It doesn't hurt, obviously, but it's pretty irrelevant. The vision to follow the blocks and let your lineman take out first guy, and the ability to evade or run over the second and third guy (both?) are easily the most important things, and speed is a very, very distant factor.

I love monty

i believe he’s the best back out of this class besides singletary but he needs work

Edited by montgrove

4 hours ago, rollobobo said:

The break out game is coming. BELIEVE! 

I've got a feeling it's this week.  

8 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Lo

Something funny to you? What I said about running backs is pretty inarguable. I already said that Monty has been fairly unimpressive running the ball overall this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Very, very wrong. These slow guys are going late in drafts for a reason. They won't be stars. They lack the game changing, big play abilities. 

9 hours ago, Leopard said:

7 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

THAT'S WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO THINK!!!

ok  

so Negghead dials the playbook back just a tad, and decides to truck the running game - i can buy this, especially with the trip overseas, and Mack going absolutely batsheeeeet in Gruden's face (score to settle there, ya know?)

what's to stop it from being a resurrection for Davis along with 5-7 carries for Cordarrelle, same for Tarik, etc. 

see, even if they decide to ramp it up, it doesn't necessarily mean more totes for Monty - playbook may be dialed down, but i fear the stupidity/cuteness remains on "11" 

🇬🇧 jolly ole fustercluck, in'nit?

🇬🇧

The Bears said this guy was ridic in the preseason...I’m still waiting for the ridic...

• Haha 1

Sitting him this week.  Chase Daniel has no deep ball, I could see the safties crowding the line of scrimmage making it tough sledding for Montgomery. Hope they get him a little more involved in the short passing game.

21 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've been trying to find some video of all his runs to see if I've missed anything but I don't recall too many times where he's missed a hole.  I do believe he has because all RBs do occasionally, that's just part of the game.  I just haven't seen the OL open many holes at all and it's frustrating.

It's not that he misses the hole, which to me would mean he isn't running in the right hole, but instead the hole is there for a split second, but closes before he can get there. It's entirely possible I'm misreading it, but I feel like there is yardage being left out there.

31 minutes ago, GChicago said:

It's not that he misses the hole, which to me would mean he isn't running in the right hole, but instead the hole is there for a split second, but closes before he can get there. It's entirely possible I'm misreading it, but I feel like there is yardage being left out there.

It's certainly possible but I rarely ever see it.  Sometimes I think he'd have to have a rocket up his butt to make it to some of these "holes" the OL has created.

13 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Very, very wrong. These slow guys are going late in drafts for a reason. They won't be stars. They lack the game changing, big play abilities. 

Right, because some NFL teams have no idea how to evaluate talent. That's why Darrius Heyward-Bey was drafted 7th overall. That's why Arian Foster wasn't even drafted in that very same draft. But hey, I guess Foster wasn't a star.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Basing this off the combine?

8 hours ago, MrPositive said:

The Bears said this guy was ridic in the preseason...I’m still waiting for the ridic...

I think he looks good out here but not getting much help from playcalling or the line.

Posted (edited)

On paper it seems like a Week 5 against Oakland could be a breakout game for Monty, but I’m concerned about the Raiders selling out to stop the run.

Remember week 2 the Raiders sold out to stop the run against the Chiefs of all teams and dared Mahomes to throw. They held the Chiefs to 31 rushing yards and Mahomes torched them through the air to the tune of 443 passing yards. It was a ridiculous game plan by the Raiders going up against the Chiefs. But if they intend to employ the same game plan against the Bears, I would expect it to be highly successful. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, gufomel said:

On paper it seems like a Week 5 against Oakland could be a breakout game for Monty, but I’m concerned about the Raiders selling out to stop the run.

Remember week 2 the Raiders sold out to stop the run against the Chiefs of all teams and dared Mahomes to throw. They held the Chiefs to 31 rushing yards and Mahomes torched them through the air to the tune of 443 passing yards. It was a ridiculous game plan by the Raiders going up against the Chiefs. But if they intend to employ the same game plan against the Bears, I would expect it to be highly successful. 

They had the gameplan backwards.

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

They had the gameplan backwards.

Certainly. I’m just saying that if they had that game plan against the Chiefs and succeeded in shutting down their run game, it sure seems likely that they would do the same against the Bears with little fear of getting torched in the passing game. 

On 10/1/2019 at 2:36 AM, Kaii23 said:

At some point we probably need to begin to consider the possibility that a rb who runs a 4.64 40 just may not be able to cut it in the NFL.... All those guys who weren't able to tackle him in college are doing something other than playing in the NFL right now. He plays like a guy with speed, but he has none. A guy who runs a 4.64 needs to be more of a north-south runner in the NFL. 

He is still getting the volume, and goal line work. Thus you can fire him up as a touchdown dependent RB2 in games where they're favored, I'd say. 

8 hours ago, gufomel said:

I agree, however the Bears D will ultimately put Carr on ice, and their Offense will be on the field a ton, similar to the Vikings game.  So I think they'll have plenty of opportunities to move the ball.  and in all honesty, Chase Daniel might be an upgrade over Trombonsky. 

Chase Daniel > Mitchell Trubisky 

This is a god send. 

The Full Monty is about to heat up. 

Le Go