Sign in to follow this  
80version

Matt Chapman vs Luke Voit ROS

Pinstripes and it's not even close! 

close but chapman because he is 3b, i think both could easily break out this year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, troutmask said:

Chapman in a big, big way.

This

• Thanks 1

Voit because i think he is underrated.

Since Luke Voit joined the #Yankees, players with a higher wOBA than him:
Yelich
Trout
Bellinger
end of list
Wow

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, troutmask said:

Chapman in a big, big way.

10 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

Chapman... because he’s much better...

Voit career 162 game average- .281/32 HR

Chapman 162 game average- .266/29 HR 

Since Voit has joined the Yankees-

.309/22 HR in 65 games.

Lol at Chapman much better. The numbers disagree with you.

• Thanks 1

honestly i love voit, but i have to go with chapman here. 

help me please?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well he said in a vaccum..so I don't think position matters.

I love Chapman but slight edge to Voit because his stadium and offense (once some guys return to health) will be better.

When in doubt go with the Yankee:)

Though I don't see what kind of league would allow you to even make this decision.

Edited by KingJoffrey

4 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Well he said in a vaccum..so I don't think position matters.

I love Chapman but slight edge to Voit because his stadium and offense (once some guys return to health) will be better.

When in doubt go with the Yankee:)

Though I don't see what kind of league would allow you to even make this decision.

I have Voit in a CI slot with Abreu at 1B, so making the swap for another CI (Chapman) doesn’t impact roster build that much.  I’m also a Chapman fan and all too ready to pull the trigger, which is why I’m looking for unbiased opinions.  Voit just seems primed to post a 35/90/110 line on a decent avg which makes it tough to let go, despite Chapman being ranked much higher among analysts.. 

16 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Voit career 162 game average- .281/32 HR

Chapman 162 game average- .266/29 HR 

Since Voit has joined the Yankees-

.309/22 HR in 65 games.

Lol at Chapman much better. The numbers disagree with you.

I've yet to see any type of dynasty fantasy ranking where Voit is higher than Chapman.  If there is one, I'd be interested to see the list.  They could all be wrong...I don't know.

Also, those numbers are also compiled at different ages...when Chapman was in the majors, Voit was crushing high A ball at the same age.  That doesn't show up in that brief synopsis above.  When players are pushed thru the system at a faster rate, their stats are impacted. 

Would go with Chapman. I know 1b depth has been weaker lately but I still feel having a locked up 3B is way more of an advantage to fantasy rosters. 

For me, its close but I'm leaning VOIT.  Chapman's 11% K-Rate is a MASSIVE dip from the rest of his career.  If you are a believer of that improvement, then I'd say Chapman all the way.  I'm not sure it sticks though.  I can see Chapman hitting a rough stretch and bringing that K% up to around 18-20% which is still a massive improvement on his historical numbers.  And I am basing this on absolutely nothing.  Honestly I had Chapman as a darkhorse MVP candidate going into the year, so him finishing as a top-10 fantasy player wouldn't surprise me.

Voit, on the other hand, has endured a month long "rough stretch" already which he batted .225 and his numbers are still elite without much advanced metrics hinting towards a regression.  Obviously when the yanks are healthy he should put up even better numbers.

47 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

I've yet to see any type of dynasty fantasy ranking where Voit is higher than Chapman.  If there is one, I'd be interested to see the list.  They could all be wrong...I don't know.

Also, those numbers are also compiled at different ages...when Chapman was in the majors, Voit was crushing high A ball at the same age.  That doesn't show up in that brief synopsis above.  When players are pushed thru the system at a faster rate, their stats are impacted. 

I’m not sure why I should care what other rankings say when I have the numbers on my own. Not his fault that he was blocked and didn’t have an opening to come up and play (and clearly much of Chapman’s real life value is defense). People slept on Voit. 

Also, not sure why dynasty matters. He said ROS. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not sure why I should care what other rankings say when I have the numbers on my own. Not his fault that he was blocked and didn’t have an opening to come up and play (and clearly much of Chapman’s real life value is defense). People slept on Voit. 

Ah, I missed the ROS...all I play is dynasty...my bad. 

Seems like we differ in how we like to assess players though, as I do value a variety of rankings and lists of people that tend to spend a lot more time on this stuff than I can.  It's partially why I enjoy the forums, in order to gather more info and perspectives.  To each there own.  Nobody hits on everyone.

The current discussion on Chapman is that there's a lot more to his bat than people had given him credit for, as well as some projection left...which I strongly agree with. 

9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

^^ -- people who rely on the analysis of others will always be a step behind those willing to analyze themselves.  Voit was being criminally slept on coming into the year, his ADP was a joke when you project a full season of at bats hitting cleanup in that lineup.

The upside of the Yankee offense when it returns to form would have me favor Voit, but not by much.   Chapman being at 3B is a factor.  1B is super deep. 

1 hour ago, lukeman89 said:

^^ -- people who rely on the analysis of others will always be a step behind those willing to analyze themselves.  Voit was being criminally slept on coming into the year, his ADP was a joke when you project a full season of at bats hitting cleanup in that lineup.

This is digressing way too much, but there are things called meta-analysis and qualitative analysis. So compiling other people’s perspectives can be helpful....to be closed off to this is shortsighted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lukeman89 said:

Yes, Voit was being slept on and I'm inclined to believe his ROS rankings are slow to value him appropriately because NYY was being vague regarding Voit's PT coming into the season.  If not for NYY's ambiguity with the starting 1B job in ST, Voit's value wouldn't be as suppressed.  I believe the two players being discussed are much, much closer in rankings which gives credence to what you're saying about relying on other's analysis. 

Although the "experts" will tell you Chappy's value ranks in the 70's and Voit is yet to crack top-100 we (the community) are split down the middle over will be better ROS which is pretty telling in itself.