brockpapersizer

Tyler Ivey- P- Astros

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

F it, I'm starting a thread. Going to edit what I said in the deep sleeper post and add some more stuff

"He as had a great fip,, xfip, and  k rate (almost 13 this year and always over 10), doesn't walk guys, doesn't give up HR has four or five pitches, and  is in the best organization, and is already in AA.

Both longenhagen and sickels say he's a guy to watch/ sleeper top 100 guy for 2020

Dominating this year in 16 ip, but just got suspended for pine tar. Not sure how long that suspension is. Seems like he hasn't been talked about. A lot to like here and his eta doesn't seem too far, especially if he keeps up with these great numbers. He's already in AA!!!  His size is very close to ideal for an SP as well 6'4", 195 per fangraphs, and I think he's trying to put on a little muscle"

 

THEN I saw this article pop up today

 

https://therunnersports.com/up-the-trellis-astros-tyler-ivey-climbing-his-way-to-the-top/

 

and HERE is what legendary rw poster @garlandohad to say about him

 

"Tyler Ivey is very interesting, fits the Astros ideal skillset of higher spin rate fastball and curveball. That skillset allows him to utilize the current pitching trend of fastballs up and breaking balls down (really changes eye levels and timing and makes for an uncomfotable AB) with great effect and Ivey has carved up the minors doing so. Fastball sits low-90's but can reach 94-95 when he needs to. Curveball sits in the upper 70's and is a plus out pitch down below the zone and yet he can also throw it for strikes to get ahead. He also mixes in a competent slider and has good feel for his changeup and most feel he has very good starter potential on stuff and command alone. There's notable effort in the delivery though, and some scouts feel that may push him into a bullpen role where his stuff would play up. Dominated his way through the minors with well above-average swinging-strike rates throughout including a current 16.2% mark currently at AA, while also showing quality command. Has moved very quickly and is probably a top 100-ish prospect imo"

 

I managed to scoop him in two leagues last week where SP is worth a lot because of points and almost 500 prospects are owned. He's available. Get him if your league is anywhere over 150. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff. Really intrigued by him.

I found this doing some research on him after I noticed he hadn't pitched in several days: "There are currently a couple of top 30 prospects in the Astros system who have gone missing. The first of these is Corpus Christi Hooks RHP Tyler Ivey who is currently the number 17 prospect in the system according to MLB Pipeline. According to MiLB.com, Ivey is on the DL. However, I have two solid sources who have said that Ivey has been suspended for an undisclosed number of games. I am going to go out on a short limb and assume that the suspension is related to an incident in his April 12th start in Amarillo in which he was removed from the game after a foreign substance was found on his glove. In any event, Ivey was not in Corpus Christi during my time there from Friday through Sunday and has not pitched since April 23rd. I reached out to the Astros for comment, but have been unable to obtain any further information at this time. I am, however, confident in my sources. UPDATE: One source is telling me that the suspension is for 14 games."

from https://whattheheckbobby.blogspot.com/2019/04/astros-farm-report-4-30.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wow. Houston is loaded with good pitching prospects. Add Ivey to the list with Whitley, Abreu, Martin, and now Ivey. Plus they have James if he ever puts it all together. This could be a rotation of the ages one day.

Edited by Team Dynasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

Wow. Houston is loaded with good pitching prospects. Add Ivey to the list with Whitley, Abreu, Martin, and now Ivey. Plus they have James if he ever puts it all together. This could be a rotation of the ages one day.

The Astros are the top tier organization in baseball right now and there's a bigger distance between them and 2 then 2 and 7 probably.  These numbers are out of my butt, but I think it's not that much of a reach. Every time I listen to the fangraphs podcast with Kiley and Longehagen they talk about this.  Astros prospects carry more weight with me.  Even the guys they end up trading away are often good, they just have too much talent and roster crunches. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's another guy here that intrigues me quite a bit in the Astros organization with no buzz.  Jayson Schroeder.  I get Jack Flaherty/Corbin Martin vibe with him.  Houston is definitely a loaded organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, I like baseball said:

There's another guy here that intrigues me quite a bit in the Astros organization with no buzz.  Jayson Schroeder.  I get Jack Flaherty/Corbin Martin vibe with him.  Houston is definitely a loaded organization.

Also there''s apparently another Luis Garcia who is a pitcher for the Astros who is interesting.  I'll look into Schroeder though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First game back since pinetar suspension a few weeks ago

 

I really think he's a top 100 prospect now and will be on lists soon

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 4:59 AM, brockpapersizer said:

The Astros are the top tier organization in baseball right now and there's a bigger distance between them and 2 then 2 and 7 probably.  These numbers are out of my butt, but I think it's not that much of a reach. Every time I listen to the fangraphs podcast with Kiley and Longehagen they talk about this.  Astros prospects carry more weight with me.  Even the guys they end up trading away are often good, they just have too much talent and roster crunches. 

 

 

 

Gimme TB but that's a discussion for a different place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 7:59 AM, brockpapersizer said:

The Astros are the top tier organization in baseball right now and there's a bigger distance between them and 2 then 2 and 7 probably.  These numbers are out of my butt, but I think it's not that much of a reach. Every time I listen to the fangraphs podcast with Kiley and Longehagen they talk about this.  Astros prospects carry more weight with me.  Even the guys they end up trading away are often good, they just have too much talent and roster crunches. 

 

 

 

Who though? Who have they developed of late that gives them this reputation? Their current pitching staff is made of guys other teams developed, no? Not saying you're wrong,just has me scratching my head because I had not thought of their org that way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Who though? Who have they developed of late that gives them this reputation? Their current pitching staff is made of guys other teams developed, no? Not saying you're wrong,just has me scratching my head because I had not thought of their org that way...

Dallas Keuchel (turned someone who couldnt throw 90 into a Cy Young candidate,  Mccullers, 

Turned Charlie Morton into a very good starter when nobody wanted him

Turned Wade Miley into a decent starter when nobody wanted him

Verlander was a stud before, but career resurrected in Hou

Cole was misused, turned his career around in Hou

Musgrove was someone they had to give away because of too much depth

 

Many industry people recognize the Astros as being ahead of the curve in most faces of the game right now, well above everyone else. I certainly trust Houston to get everything they can out of a pitcher more than any other team.

Everyone has their misses, but I want Astros prospects in Dynasty Leagues.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kuechel, MuCullers, Musgrove and Whitely they obviously spent a ton of time on. The rest were results of their excellent scouting game.

Corbin Martin was recognized has someone who had high upside w/ starter traits/3 pitch mix. He simply fell due to fact he was being used out of the bullpen as a junior. Charie Morton's Velocity bump started happening with Philly. Wade Miley resurrection happen with the Brewers.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Kuechel, MuCullers, Musgrove and Whitely they obviously spent a ton of time on. The rest were results of their excellent scouting game.

Corbin Martin was recognized has someone who had high upside w/ starter traits/3 pitch mix. He simply fell due to fact he was being used out of the bullpen as a junior. Charie Morton's Velocity bump started happening with Philly. Wade Miley resurrection happen with the Brewers.

 

 

 

 

Yes, they aren't 100% responsible for a lot of successes that they've had, but I just trust them to get the most out someone. If they are positioning someone for a rotation spot, I'm always going to be interested in that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Dallas Keuchel (turned someone who couldnt throw 90 into a Cy Young candidate,  Mccullers, 

Turned Charlie Morton into a very good starter when nobody wanted him

Turned Wade Miley into a decent starter when nobody wanted him

Verlander was a stud before, but career resurrected in Hou

Cole was misused, turned his career around in Hou

Musgrove was someone they had to give away because of too much depth

 

Many industry people recognize the Astros as being ahead of the curve in most faces of the game right now, well above everyone else. I certainly trust Houston to get everything they can out of a pitcher more than any other team.

Everyone has their misses, but I want Astros prospects in Dynasty Leagues.

 

All terrific points, thanks!

Though I would argue that those are all at the MLB level and aren't players they themselves drafted and developed. I guess I look at those as two different skills. Kind of like football with the Patriots and historically struggling with drafting and developing their own WR, but they are able to find some that were drafted and brought up by other teams and then fitting them into their system for success.

I would give Houston all the credit in the world for their MLB coaching staff, but I'm struggling to see why or how their success coincides with their minor league development staff?

Edited by ThreadKiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

 

I would give Houston all the credit in the world for their MLB coaching staff, but I'm struggling to see why or how their success coincides with their minor league development staff?

I know pitching and hitting are different, but the top 4 hitters in their healthy lineup are superstar hitters who came through their system. Does one other team have a core of 3 guys as strong as the Astros 4 (who are adding Tucker/Yordan eventually)

Cubs have Rizzo-Bryant-Baez, I guess that's closest.  

I'd also add that I think when the Astros were tanking they wanted a good core of hitter and got that, and only became more invested in  pitching later. I dont think we've seen many touted Astros pitchers come up and be busts.  Forrest Whitley was the consensus #1 prospect pitcher heading into this season, and while he's struggled this year, the future looks bright. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least a mid rotation guy, and probably better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I know pitching and hitting are different, but the top 4 hitters in their healthy lineup are superstar hitters who came through their system. Does one other team have a core of 3 guys as strong as the Astros 4 (who are adding Tucker/Yordan eventually)

Cubs have Rizzo-Bryant-Baez, I guess that's closest.  

I'd also add that I think when the Astros were tanking they wanted a good core of hitter and got that, and only became more invested in  pitching later. I dont think we've seen many touted Astros pitchers come up and be busts.  Forrest Whitley was the consensus #1 prospect pitcher heading into this season, and while he's struggled this year, the future looks bright. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least a mid rotation guy, and probably better.  

 

TBH, I'd put Boston above them currently with (Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts, Chavis) but I get your point. The Cubs didn't draft and develop Rizzo either, Boston and SD did...

I agree with your point about Houston prioritizing offense before turning to pitching. However wouldn't that point to the jury being still out as far as their ability to draft and develop their own guys? I haven't seen them develop any pitcher worthy of me giving them the benefit of the doubt with their pitching prospects, but that's not to say they won't succeed in doing so. I guess I just don't see why they seem to already have that reputation. Reminds of when I scratched my head and people bowing down to Ray Searage (Pittsburgh pitching coach) because AJ Burnett had some success when he became a Pirate lol. All of a sudden he was labeled as a pitching guru lol.

Interesting conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I know pitching and hitting are different, but the top 4 hitters in their healthy lineup are superstar hitters who came through their system. Does one other team have a core of 3 guys as strong as the Astros 4 (who are adding Tucker/Yordan eventually)

Cubs have Rizzo-Bryant-Baez, I guess that's closest.  

I'd also add that I think when the Astros were tanking they wanted a good core of hitter and got that, and only became more invested in  pitching later. I dont think we've seen many touted Astros pitchers come up and be busts.  Forrest Whitley was the consensus #1 prospect pitcher heading into this season, and while he's struggled this year, the future looks bright. I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least a mid rotation guy, and probably better.  

If you can even count Rizzo. I think what separates Houston though is they have the upper level talents (Tucker, Alvarez for bats, Whitley, JB, Martin for arms) then a ton of really nice depth prospects with some serious upside (like Ivey here) or Seth Beer/Nova for bats. It's too bad Houston released JD forever ago, ha.

 

2 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

TBH, I'd put Boston above them currently with (Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts, Chavis) but I get your point. The Cubs didn't draft and develop Rizzo either, Boston and SD did...

Interesting conversation.

Throwing Chavis in there is a bit of a stretch. I mean, those  4 (Betts, Benny, Devers, Xander) are great and all, but Altuve/Bregman/Correa/Springer are right there or further. Betts is the best of all 8 of those guys, but I think all of Houstons 4 guys there are better than Benintendi, Bogaerts, or Devers. Both great cores and can't be disappointed with either. Houston still has 2 elite prospect bats on the verge of a call up too.

 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:02 AM, Team Dynasty said:

Wow. Houston is loaded with good pitching prospects. Add Ivey to the list with Whitley, Abreu, Martin, and now Ivey. Plus they have James if he ever puts it all together. This could be a rotation of the ages one day.

don't forget JB! (He looks awful this year).

 

I'm definitely a big fan of Ivey. I started keeping close tabs on him last season when he was doing so well in A+. As noted earlier in the thread, he's got about the perfect build as a pitcher IMO. Love the strong 10+ K/9 K rate to go with a sub 3.00 BB/9. Those 2 #'s are enough to excite me for an SP, that's box 1 on my checklist. He doesn't give up a lot of hits or HR, doesn't walk many, and gets K's. What's not to love? I love he's in a system that I trust in developing guys, but I also hate it because there's a lot of competition for those innings.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

If you can even count Rizzo. I think what separates Houston though is they have the upper level talents (Tucker, Alvarez for bats, Whitley, JB, Martin for arms) then a ton of really nice depth prospects with some serious upside (like Ivey here) or Seth Beer/Nova for bats. It's too bad Houston released JD forever ago, ha.

 

Throwing Chavis in there is a bit of a stretch. I mean, those  4 (Betts, Benny, Devers, Xander) are great and all, but Altuve/Bregman/Correa/Springer are right there or further. Betts is the best of all 8 of those guys, but I think all of Houstons 4 guys there are better than Benintendi, Bogaerts, or Devers. Both great cores and can't be disappointed with either. Houston still has 2 elite prospect bats on the verge of a call up too.

 

don't forget JB! (He looks awful this year).

 

I'm definitely a big fan of Ivey. I started keeping close tabs on him last season when he was doing so well in A+. As noted earlier in the thread, he's got about the perfect build as a pitcher IMO. Love the strong 10+ K/9 K rate to go with a sub 3.00 BB/9. Those 2 #'s are enough to excite me for an SP, that's box 1 on my checklist. He doesn't give up a lot of hits or HR, doesn't walk many, and gets K's. What's not to love? I love he's in a system that I trust in developing guys, but I also hate it because there's a lot of competition for those innings.

 

Moving forward, I'd rather have Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts and Chavis than Altuve, Springer, Correa and Bregman. IMO, we've seen the best of Altuve and Springer and Correa has been mostly name...IMO, we have yet to see the best of the Red Sox players I listed. Not sure why it's such a stretch to mention Chavis as part of the homegrown core for the Red Sox unless you think he becomes useless or gets traded to another team? Both are unlikely with the likely path being him becoming part of the homegrown core.

Either way, both teams have strong home grown players and that wasn't even my point. My question/comment was why Houston is getting such a benefit of the doubt when it comes to pitching prospects and I still don't feel like they should have one because like I said, MLB coaching and getting something out of players that were developed by other teams is completely different than scouting and developing your own players throughout the minors. And that is something they haven't really done at all, so that's why I don't think they deserve to be labeled as the best when it comes to that department.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Moving forward, I'd rather have Betts, Benintendi, Devers, Bogaerts and Chavis than Altuve, Springer, Correa and Bregman. IMO, we've seen the best of Altuve and Springer and Correa has been mostly name...IMO, we have yet to see the best of the Red Sox players I listed. Not sure why it's such a stretch to mention Chavis as part of the homegrown core for the Red Sox unless you think he becomes useless or gets traded to another team? Both are unlikely with the likely path being him becoming part of the homegrown core. 

Either way, both teams have strong home grown players and that wasn't even my point. My question/comment was why Houston is getting such a benefit of the doubt when it comes to pitching prospects and I still don't feel like they should have one because like I said, MLB coaching and getting something out of players that were developed by other teams is completely different than scouting and developing your own players throughout the minors. And that is something they haven't really done at all, so that's why I don't think they deserve to be labeled as the best when it comes to that department.

I think it's a stretch because he was literally just called up. In that case, why not mention moving forward with those 4 + Alvarez and Tucker? And, no, I don't think Chavis becomes useless, but he's mentioned when Alvarez/Tucker aren't.

What team would you call a prospect arm factory, if any? Hader was there and moved for Gomez, pretty much plugged right in for Milwaukee. McCullers has been pretty darn good when out there. Musgrove was another that ended up being moved due to necessity. Josh James came out of "nowhere" for them. McHugh, Keuchel, Devenski (even if not a starter), Velazquez has been useful in Philly.

You also have to consider where kind of rises their guys drafted got, How many were derailed for injury? Franklin Perez turned into a top 40 prospect, Francis Martes turned into a top 20 prospect, David Paulino in the top 50/60.

It's not just that they are cranking out aces, they aren't (who is?). But they are doing an excellent job at squeezing value out of a ton of guys. Jorge Guzman and Albert Abreu were shipped off for McCann and Abreu crept into the top 100.

What they've done in the majors with guys like Peacock, McHugh, Verlander, Cole (who either don't have the best stuff, or had it at one point) and turned them into some arms worth talking about is something. Or in the case of Cole/Verlander, got them back into Cy Young status.

I'm not saying their the best at developing their own prospect arms, necessarily, but I do think they are the best at using analytics to get the most from all of their guys, prospects or major leaguers. What they do in the majors trickles down to the minors 100%. If you can give me Corbin Martin or Tyler Ivey on the Astros VS any other team, I prefer them on Houston because I trust their use of data. Framber Valez is a very unexciting arm, but even he put up solid #'s in 2018.

In the last 3 years, they've had Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas, Josh James, Franklin Perez, David Paulino, Joe Musgrove, and Francis Martes show up in the top 100.


I mean, come on, Wade Miley is even good for them. Imagine if he was actually good to start with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listen to Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen on their fangraphs podcast, and a lot of it is basically just talking about how the Astros are just way ahead of everyone on player development.  I'm not an Astros Fan. I like the Dodgers, another great org for developing talent.  Teams matter and I have the Astros ranked #1 in terms of teams I want prospects on. TB, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals, and Dodgers are all very strong clubs, but the Astros to be are #1.  If Tyler Ivey is on any other team, I'm less excited.  Doesn't mean he's a bum on another team, just that I have increaed optimism here.

Ivey got a shout out today on the BaseballAmerica Hot Sheet too.

He's a prospect on the rise.  If getting a solid mid rotation guy is important for the depth of your league as well as owning a top 100 guy, I highly recommend Tyler Ivey

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I think it's a stretch because he was literally just called up. In that case, why not mention moving forward with those 4 + Alvarez and Tucker? And, no, I don't think Chavis becomes useless, but he's mentioned when Alvarez/Tucker aren't.

What team would you call a prospect arm factory, if any? Hader was there and moved for Gomez, pretty much plugged right in for Milwaukee. McCullers has been pretty darn good when out there. Musgrove was another that ended up being moved due to necessity. Josh James came out of "nowhere" for them. McHugh, Keuchel, Devenski (even if not a starter), Velazquez has been useful in Philly.

You also have to consider where kind of rises their guys drafted got, How many were derailed for injury? Franklin Perez turned into a top 40 prospect, Francis Martes turned into a top 20 prospect, David Paulino in the top 50/60.

It's not just that they are cranking out aces, they aren't (who is?). But they are doing an excellent job at squeezing value out of a ton of guys. Jorge Guzman and Albert Abreu were shipped off for McCann and Abreu crept into the top 100.

What they've done in the majors with guys like Peacock, McHugh, Verlander, Cole (who either don't have the best stuff, or had it at one point) and turned them into some arms worth talking about is something. Or in the case of Cole/Verlander, got them back into Cy Young status.

I'm not saying their the best at developing their own prospect arms, necessarily, but I do think they are the best at using analytics to get the most from all of their guys, prospects or major leaguers. What they do in the majors trickles down to the minors 100%. If you can give me Corbin Martin or Tyler Ivey on the Astros VS any other team, I prefer them on Houston because I trust their use of data. Framber Valez is a very unexciting arm, but even he put up solid #'s in 2018.

In the last 3 years, they've had Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas, Josh James, Franklin Perez, David Paulino, Joe Musgrove, and Francis Martes show up in the top 100.


I mean, come on, Wade Miley is even good for them. Imagine if he was actually good to start with.

 

-Huh? I never said Chavis was a superstar, I said he was part of a young homegrown core on the Red Sox. I don't understand what's so wrong about that? Alvarez and Tucker are in the minor leagues, so that comparison is flimsy.

-I never said any team was an "arm factory". Hader was drafted by Baltimore and got traded from Houston to Mil more than 2 years before his debut. Hardly "plug and play". Velasquez has been useful? Mmk.

-Franklin Perez was a highly ranked prospect. So was Martes and Paulino. Where are they now? How did Houston develop those guys? ..........

-Plenty of teams are good at developing pitching. I'd argue teams like St. Louis and Atlanta are better at it right now. Off the top of my head, I'd even trust a pitching prospect in SD right now over Houston.

-I feel like you didn't really read what I said. I never debated that Houston's MLB staff has a great eye for who to bring into their organization and what they can do to get the best out of them (Verlander, Peacock, Morton, Cole, etc). That was never up for discussion. My point was separate in that they seem to get credit for developing pitching talent throughout their minor leagues (draft and develop) and for some reason we put them on a pedestal when judging minor league pitching prospects (aka Pitching Prospect A is with Houston so you know he will be developed right!) My question is why? Who have they drafted and developed that's worth a damn as a pitcher? They have drafted and developed position players (last one being Bregman years ago) but what pitcher have they developed to get them this reputation?

-Yes, in the past 3 years they've had that list of players you mention in the top 100. Remind me again though, where are they now? Aside from the ones TBD who are still in minors?

 

-Wade Miley has a FIP over 4 and he was better last year for Milwaukee than he is now for Houston so let's not pretend that Houston magically turned him into a solid pitcher this year because it's simply not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I listen to Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen on their fangraphs podcast, and a lot of it is basically just talking about how the Astros are just way ahead of everyone on player development.  I'm not an Astros Fan. I like the Dodgers, another great org for developing talent.  Teams matter and I have the Astros ranked #1 in terms of teams I want prospects on. TB, Red Sox, Yankees, Cardinals, and Dodgers are all very strong clubs, but the Astros to be are #1.  If Tyler Ivey is on any other team, I'm less excited.  Doesn't mean he's a bum on another team, just that I have increaed optimism here.

Ivey got a shout out today on the BaseballAmerica Hot Sheet too.

He's a prospect on the rise.  If getting a solid mid rotation guy is important for the depth of your league as well as owning a top 100 guy, I highly recommend Tyler Ivey

 

 

What makes you trust their ability to develop pitching though I guess is what I keep coming back to? They haven't really developed any of their own through the ranks so to speak, so why are they your number 1? Sincerely asking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, can we keep this thread about Ivey? It's devolved into a "I'm right", "No, I'm right" discussion about Houston's developmental system. If you can't agree with Brock's original premise, fine, but what Ivey's doing warrants a dynasty pick up whether or not he deserves an additional bump due to the system he's in. The constant essay writing and essay rebuttals is just clutter at this point and doesn't appear to be changing anyone's mind. Just agree to disagree.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

What makes you trust their ability to develop pitching though I guess is what I keep coming back to? They haven't really developed any of their own through the ranks so to speak, so why are they your number 1? Sincerely asking...

I believe they know what they're doing and that's what I hear from industry people. It was like last year when they led team k/9 in like every level.  They know how to play to pitcher's strengths and how to fix guys who are broken.  I just have more faith in them with getting the most of out a pitcher than anyone else. I'm not an Astros fan, just someone who likes fantasy baseball and winning. Anything the Astros touch pitching wise has my attention in the same way any time a player has potential to be a regular hitter for the rockies has my attention. You don't have to bump up Astros pitchers like me, but it's just my suggestion. Also doesn't hurt if you play in wins leagues and the team is projected to have a solid offense for the next 5 years.

At 4 consecutive different levels Tyler Ivey has a +10 k/9 as well as a sub 3 bb/9

+

Astros

=

me very excited. 

 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I believe they know what they're doing and that's what I hear from industry people. It was like last year when they led team k/9 in like every level.  They know how to play to pitcher's strengths and how to fix guys who are broken.  I just have more faith in them with getting the most of out a pitcher than anyone else. I'm not an Astros fan, just someone who likes fantasy baseball and winning. Anything the Astros touch pitching wise has my attention in the same way any time a player has potential to be a regular hitter for the rockies has my attention. You don't have to bump up Astros pitchers like me, but it's just my suggestion. Also doesn't hurt if you play in wins leagues and the team is projected to have a solid offense for the next 5 years.

At 4 consecutive different levels Tyler Ivey has a +10 k/9 as well as a sub 3 bb/9

+

Astros

=

me very excited. 

 

 

Fair enough. I appreciate your response and that’s really what I was looking for. It’s not that I devalue Astros pitching or anything, was just playing Devil’s advocate I suppose looking for more of an explanation as to why they’ve earned the high praise they are getting.

Thanks for the tout on Ivey. What do you see him as? Ace potential? Mid rotation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Fair enough. I appreciate your response and that’s really what I was looking for. It’s not that I devalue Astros pitching or anything, was just playing Devil’s advocate I suppose looking for more of an explanation as to why they’ve earned the high praise they are getting.

Thanks for the tout on Ivey. What do you see him as? Ace potential? Mid rotation?

Seems like the laziest comp ever, but I feel the way I do about Ivey now that I did Corbin Martin last year.  I kinda think most likely a mid rotation guy most years with some better years in between. Top 40-50 pitcher, with some upside. Really hard for me to put ace upside on just about anyone though.  Lot of the aces in baseball today are guys who didn't have that upside as prospects. 

Just by their fangraphs pages, Ivey has FIVE pitches compared to Corbin's 3 and a better current command grade.

I've seen 0 lists with Tyler Ivey as a top 100 guy, and I think he's going to be on just about all of them by the end of the year.

 

 

Edited by brockpapersizer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.