brockpapersizer

Tyler Ivey- P- Astros

51 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Sooooo he's injured?? Anyone know what's up?

Nope, other than they put him back on the IL on 05/21. Nothing on Twitter so it's more or less the Spencer Howard situation all over again.

16 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Still nothing on him??

Not a peep.

Suspension again?? Obv total reckless spec on my part, but we did not really hear about his last one right away either...

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Suspension again?? Obv total reckless spec on my part, but we did not really hear about his last one right away either...

If he were, I don't think they could keep him on the injury list (or at least not announce that's he's officially suspended). I think it's just another closely guarded lower level injury mystery.

Anyone hear why he's still out?  Surprised Fangraphs or KLaw, etc., don't have something on this.

Completely bizarre.  You would think there would be something from the locals for the Double A team to provide an update.

13 hours ago, Dark One said:

There is absolutely nothing anywhere. Even a popular Astros prospect blogger wrote the following about him in a mid-season ranking update two weeks ago:

"Ivey was recently placed on the 7-day injured list. Hopefully its nothing serious as he was having a great year."

http://www.astrosfuture.com/2019/05/astros-updated-top-30-prospects-2019/

Off-topic, but no Urquidy on that list?

13 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Completely bizarre.  You would think there would be something from the locals for the Double A team to provide an update.

Minor league injury info sometimes is impossible to get.  Omar Estevez on the Dodgers is hurt with something, no idea what. No info either.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Minor league injury info sometimes is impossible to get.  Omar Estevez on the Dodgers is hurt with something, no idea what. No info either.

Spencer Howard was the same thing when he went on the IL for Phillies MiLB club. At best you get some nebulous report like "a shoulder issue", etc. But very rarely do you get anything concrete unless they end up having surgery or something. 

• Thanks 1

For sure, you would still think one of the local beat writers would have something.  That said, maybe they are under a 'lips sealed' directive from the organization.

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Happens all the time. Someone goes on the IL and press don't think enough of the player to cure enough to ask why.

8 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Off-topic, but no Urquidy on that list?

While his numbers look solid, he doesn't have a solid third pitch without a dominant fastball and appears to be projected for a middle relief/swingman role per MLB.com (who has him ranked at #30 in their system).

7 hours ago, dzemens said:

Spencer Howard was the same thing when he went on the IL for Phillies MiLB club. At best you get some nebulous report like "a shoulder issue", etc. But very rarely do you get anything concrete unless they end up having surgery or something. 

Yep - the only info I was able to find was a local prospect writer relaying on May 11th that Howard was out due to shoulder soreness but the team isn't concerned. He now hasn't pitched since April 23rd - it's cause for concern.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dark One said:

While his numbers look solid, he doesn't have a solid third pitch without a dominant fastball and appears to be projected for a middle relief/swingman role per MLB.com (who has him ranked at #30 in their system).

Appreciate the insight, thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dark One said:

He’s been up to 97 mph with a plus change up and a improving slider.  

Why isn’t Urquidy ranked higher?  Because he’s a pop up prospect.  He wasn’t much of a prospect until his recent uptick in stuff.  He’s going to have to build up that resume and by the time that happens,  he’ll either age himself off any list and/or contributing at the major league level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, I like baseball said:

He’s been up to 97 mph with a plus change up and a improving slider.  

Why isn’t Urquidy ranked higher?  Because he’s a pop up prospect.  He wasn’t much of a prospect until his recent uptick in stuff.  He’s going to have to build up that resume and by the time that happens,  he’ll either age himself off any list and/or contributing at the major league level.

Just going by what I've read - per MLB.com:

"Hernandez-Urquidy has to locate his pitches with precision because he can't overpower hitters. His best offering is a plus changeup with fade that he sells well by maintaining his fastball arm speed. His heater parks in the low 90s and peaks at 95 mph with some armside run.

His biggest need is to improve his soft curveball because right-handers have teed off on Hernandez-Urquidy since his elbow reconstruction. He has proven that he can deliver strike after strike but still has to show he can miss enough bats to succeed against advanced hitters. Projected as a middle reliever or swing man, his floor stands out more than his ceiling."

I also haven't seen him on other organizational ranking lists that I've read (and Fangraphs doesn't even have him ranked anywhere, and they really go deep into systems when listing prospects).

Edited by Dark One

4 hours ago, Dark One said:

Just going by what I've read - per MLB.com:

"Hernandez-Urquidy has to locate his pitches with precision because he can't overpower hitters. His best offering is a plus changeup with fade that he sells well by maintaining his fastball arm speed. His heater parks in the low 90s and peaks at 95 mph with some armside run.

His biggest need is to improve his soft curveball because right-handers have teed off on Hernandez-Urquidy since his elbow reconstruction. He has proven that he can deliver strike after strike but still has to show he can miss enough bats to succeed against advanced hitters. Projected as a middle reliever or swing man, his floor stands out more than his ceiling."

I also haven't seen him on other organizational ranking lists that I've read (and Fangraphs doesn't even have him ranked anywhere, and they really go deep into systems when listing prospects).

This looks like a pre 2019 season scouting report. 

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This looks like a pre 2019 season scouting report. 

Yep, it certainly may be - though the report remains up on MLB's current rankings page and Fangraphs also has absolutely nothing on him at all despite the apparent rapid progression he's shown at AAA in 2019 (and many thanks again to @I like baseball for chiming in on him). It looks like Baseball America recently hyped him, but they've switched their content to paywall only.

Based on the updated info, we should probably start a new thread on Urquidy to avoid continuing to clog up the Ivey one.

• Like 1