FollowTheLeader

Alexander Mattison 2019 Outlook

Alexander Mattison MN

5'11" 211lbs

Sr season: 302/1425/17 (4.7yds/carry) and 27/173

Career: 581/2829/33 (4.9) and 60/511/1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3AlqkCnrJw

*while unspectacular, the fact he does everything well and is behind the oft injured DCook, this guy could get some major run, and is someone I'll be monitoring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll admit I just learned who this guy was.  Messing around on Spotrac's Vikings page a bit, noticed they had nobody that stuck out as a backup to Cook.    Wondering if he's a bottom of the barrel guy to add for a buck in an auction.   If Cook misses time at all, one would think this guy gets a look.  

I posted this guy, because IF Cook goes down, I don't see anyone else on the roster more capable of being a 3 down back.

• Like 3

I dunno who he is, but im interested in Cooks cuff if that ends up being him.

2 hours ago, FollowTheLeader said:

I posted this guy, because IF Cook goes down, I don't see anyone else on the roster more capable of being a 3 down back.

Good zero rb candidate. 

I wouldnt assume he automatically becomes a 3 down rb, how quckly the fantasy world forgets Ameer is waiting in the wings for another opportunity as he plays on special teams.  I wouldnt be surprised if u see the rookie+ameer get some splits if dalvin is unavailable

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

Good zero rb candidate. 

I wouldnt assume he automatically becomes a 3 down rb, how quckly the fantasy world forgets Ameer is waiting in the wings for another opportunity as he plays on special teams.  I wouldnt be surprised if u see the rookie+ameer get some splits if dalvin is unavailable

I also didnt know Ameer was on the team. I guess I need to brush up on the Vikes depth chart.

Am I crazy or does this guy remind of Kareem Hunt? Now, a little context if this helps, I'm the guy who started the Kareem Hunt 2017 thread for whatever that's worth lol, so I wasn't like totally clueless on Hunt that summer. Not sure what that counts for around here, but at least you know I'm somewhat of a forward thinking player, even if it gets me in trouble sometimes. 

But seriously, look at their measurables. Both are 4.6 forty guys with 7.1 3-cones. Mattison has Hunt outpaced in the broad, but everything else is super similar. Both are three down backs, both third round picks. Both had extremely low fumble rates in college. 

Certainly there are differences, like Ware got hurt that summer and Hunt's ADP went absolutely bonkers as a result. Andy Reid is way more fantasy friendly for RBs than most coaches too obviously. Still, Dalvin's injury history is well documented, and IMO Mattison looks like he's capable of taking over if Dalvin goes down. And there's no one else in that stable that can really challenge him for reps if Dalvin gets carted. He would very possibly be the lone wolf back for them. 

Also interesting to note is that Mattison was like a 20th rounder or something in May and is now quietly 14.7 in FFPC drafts. And that increase was gradual. IMO it's an indication more and more fantasy owners are becoming aware of this guy's upside. 

Rotoworld calls this guy plodding in their blurbs on him, but his film seems explosive to me. His hurdling ability stands out to me as well. 

Obviously as he becomes more and more expensive in drafts the value drains away. He's getting to become a not-so-dirt-cheap handcuff like he was a month ago. If little else though, if you're a Dalvin Cook believer, this is a great handcuff to grab IMO, and if you do grab him for cheap, I think Dalvin becomes a much safer play in round two of drafts (although I have yet to pull the trigger on Dalvin this summer, and maybe won't at all). 

And I admit this guy is not much more than a good handcuff with very little hype surrounding him. In a lot of places, you can get him for basically nothing. In more competitive settings, you can still get him in round fifteen+ a lot. 

I dunno, I'll probably look dumb in a few months for saying he reminds me of Kareem Hunt, but he does. 

Here's another interesting breakdown, although this is from the Vikings' channel, so technically this is propaganda, but whatever lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for the double post, but if I could add that I do think Dalvin Cook has been more snakebit than injury prone thru his two seasons in the league, so banking on him to go down again could easily fail here. I should probably feel more comfortable with Dalvin in round two than I do since he did look really good once he came back from the hamstring injury that cost him a few games in the middle of the year. I think Mattison looks good enough to be a one-year wonder though at the least were Dalvin to get injured again, but it's very possible (and more likely than not) that Dalvin is less injury prone than everyone thinks. That would obviously ruin the Mattison fun haha, but again, he's a solid handcuff IMO with I think more upside than people realize and more upside than many of the other players currently being taken in his range.  

On 4/30/2019 at 6:38 PM, FollowTheLeader said:

*while unspectacular, the fact he does everything well and is behind the oft injured DCook, this guy could get some major run, and is someone I'll be monitoring.

I took him in a slow draft. My notes:

backup to Dalvin Cook, and from the limited research I did, looks like a fairly complete RB. The Vikes selected him in the 3rd round, so clearly they don't feel too sure about Cook either; Cook started only 15 games in his first 2 seasons for a total of 1364 yards and 6 TDs, so I'm guessing management isn't too chuffed about that. I like that he had 33 TDs in 2800 yards in college, and added 500 yards receving (8.5 YPR). Also, I like that he's a smart kid. 

ADP is around RB50-60, which probably means on the edge of your 12 team draft, but definitely in scope in a 14-teamer. Sleeper material for me.

Worth adding that the Vikes now have Kubiak implementing a zone blocking scheme and the vikings spent a 1st rounder on OL. IF Cook goes down this guy could ball. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eck27 said:

Worth adding that the Vikes now have Kubiak implementing a zone blocking scheme and the vikings spent a 1st rounder on OL. IF Cook goes down this guy could ball. 

Boise also played zone a lot from what I see?

Posted (edited)

I wasn't aware the forum had an outlook thread for Mattison. I've looked at him in recent weeks, I think his skill set translates very well at the next level. They really like what this kid brings. For those of us leery to draft Cook, Mattison is the answer to the durability concerns.  

Edited by markrc99

i got him for a dollar in a 12 team 50 dollar auction last night without cook. We shall see what happens. I am patient with my drops (lol yeah right dropped chris carson after the bears game last year week 2) #oops

• Haha 1

How would he compare to someone like Singletary in Dynasty?  Seems like Singletary has more potential upside, as the only guy after this year (of course they will add)

I think they are similar in dynasty personally. Keep in mind this is year 3 of 4 on cook nfl rookie contract and why would the vikings ever want to pay cook even if cook has a healthy 16 games in 2019 when he never had 16 healthy games in 2018 and 2017. Also for a rb if you are a guy who gets injured I consider you a guy who is likely to repeat. Of course mattison is no lock to be the vikings rb2 but in preseason we should be able to see if he is ronald jones or rashad penny levels of trash or if he has chubb like potential. Personally I would not count on mattison for sept but by oct 2019 if the owner drops him he will be a hot waiver add.

• Like 1

Gonna have to keep an eye on this guy is the pre-season. He could have some real value if Cook goes down for any length of of time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

"How would he compare to someone like Singletary in Dynasty? Seems like Singletary has more potential upside, as the only guy after this year (of course they will add)"

I suppose & it's just me but Devin Singletary has little chance to be an every down workhorse at the next level. Or, certainly not for any extended period of time. The material I have lists him as a 5'9" guy when he's not even close to 5'8". Possesses the short burst elusiveness of a 4.3sec guy but tops out at TE/LB type speed. One can infer reading his scouting report at NFL draft tracker that he brings more to the passing game than what his actual usage & production would otherwise suggest. He could see the field on passing downs but limited to garbage time, 2-minute drill type situations. Any play where the defense isn't blitzing &/or conceding the check down. A lot of mileage as well, over 750+ touches. I also feel that it's Mattison who got drafted by the better team & circumstance. 

When a team just needs a complement of sort, they can wait & get that guy later. With the emphasis to run & seemingly, mash, a team might add an Alexander Mattison because they're not convinced of the durability of their lead guy. Could be wrong but if Mattison assumes lead role, for whatever reason, I don't think Cook ever gets it back.       

Edited by markrc99

On 7/23/2019 at 7:10 AM, markrc99 said:

Could be wrong but if Mattison assumes lead role, for whatever reason, I don't think Cook ever gets it back.       

HB341gq.gif?noredirect

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vikingapocalypse said:

HB341gq.gif?noredirect

Can you also say why that is so funny?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Can you also say why that is so funny?

Tough to comment in these threads without trying to seem too bias here due to my avatar and username but...

The only thing that would keep cook off the field over mattison is health imo. When cook is healthy, he has showcased how dynamic he can be. This staff loves him and uses him as such. Mattison is an average to below average athlete in NFL terms, a north-south one cut runner with a decent set of hands, with very little wiggle while severely lacking is pass pro.

Not to mention, Vikings oline is still no where close to where it needs to be. Mattison is NOT latavius Murray, who was actually a bit of a specimen himself, albeit an average runner, with legit pass blocking chops.

Dalvin forced missed tackles like its going out of style, I'm not sure mattison would achieve the same behind this line.

I actually LIKE this pickup by the Vikings, and I think he can turn into a great power compliment to dalvin and possibly try to carry the load if he is called upon. At this point, aside from draft capital, there isn't anything that points towards mattison even being the #2 yet. Just claimed DeAngelo Henderson, with Abdullah and preseason hype story Boone there as well. I think it eventually trends in that direction but I would be blown away if Mattison ever replaced a healthy Dalvin Cook.

Now if you wanna believe maybe the injuries will make the Vikings move on from cook and rely on mattison, or like mattison in the event dalvin goes down - that's a different story. I'm not there on Mattison personally, but I am obviously very open to the idea of being wrong.

Edited by vikingapocalypse
  • Like 2

I know this sounds silly but I really like the way he runs with his head up and he keeps it stable.  Seems like he has a real strong running motion and can read the play.  For frame of reference, watch Nyheim Hine's head bob all over the place in comparison to Kamara on the combine videos.  Hines makes himself dizzy with how much that head moves

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 1:15 PM, vikingapocalypse said:

"The only thing that would keep Cook off the field over Mattison is health imo. ... Mattison is an average to below average athlete in NFL terms, a north-south one cut runner with a decent set of hands, with very little wiggle while severely lacking is pass pro.... Mattison is NOT Latavius Murray, who was actually a bit of a specimen himself, albeit an average runner, with legit pass blocking chops. Dalvin forced missed tackles like its going out of style, I'm not sure mattison would achieve the same behind this line.

I actually LIKE this pickup by the Vikings, and I think he can turn into a great power compliment to Dalvin and possibly try to carry the load if he is called upon. At this point, aside from draft capital, there isn't anything that points towards Mattison even being the #2 yet. Just claimed DeAngelo Henderson, with Abdullah and preseason hype story Boone there as well. I think it eventually trends in that direction but I would be blown away if Mattison ever replaced a healthy Dalvin Cook.

Now if you wanna believe maybe the injuries will make the Vikings move on from Cook and rely on Mattison, or like Mattison in the event Dalvin goes down - that's a different story. I'm not there on Mattison personally..."

Your latter point is what I meant, that for whatever reason, should Mattison get an extended look & of course perform well, I think the job becomes his. Again, could be wrong, but they may be done having to fish around for their ball-carrier. It's Cook's job to lose, no doubt. But the latitude, perhaps it's been used up, he has to do it this time. The player you described in Mattison, they could've gotten him after the draft. Latavius Murray is a guy who had to take a pay cut to remain on the roster & was summarily allowed to pursue employment elsewhere. You & I agree that Mattison isn't Murray, but I believe they upgraded the depth behind Cook, where you feel they downgraded.  

"That's always important," coach Mike Zimmer said. "The stamina, whatever position it is, is very important as far as being able to stay healthy and be on the field and be available." 

At Boise's pro day, Mattison shredded the 40-time he put up at the combine. He possesses good speed & while he lacks that twitchy sudden change of direction, his vision & play speed isn't being afforded enough credit. He may have to gather himself some, but he sinks into those cuts, some of which are very sharp cuts. Well-spoken, smart & focused, really like this kid, a bit of an underrated prospect. We can talk about these every-down 'backs, you can believe he's not much of an athlete, but he's them! They're big, they're thick, they're strong and most importantly, they're LOW!!! No, he lacks elite suddenness, elite speed & brute power... but it's false to deem those as weaknesses when in fact he possesses a good blend of all three. 

Now, that all said, it could go very well go the other way! Especially if they encourage Mattison to fight for every inch. Everyone is aware of the rules, but there are also unwritten rules. No one wants to get hurt, no one wants the reputation of ending careers. The ball-carrier defenses literally despise is the guy who won't go down. If Mattison has to learn that lesson the hard way, yeah, he could bust. We also don't know the extent of their commitment to running more base personnel or how effective they'll be. If they do & they are, I see that favoring Mattison. 

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

He just got the start, scored a TD.   I'm not sure there was much doubt about him being second on the depth chart but this solidifies it.   

Edited by BrianM

Posted (edited)

Abdullah, Boone, and Henderson all ran well.

AA lost a horrible fumble, but he looked the most dynamic. Boone had a 64 yard TD run and should have a chance at a third down role. Henderson looks like a guy with a nonzero chance to make the team. 

Not sure Mattison is guaranteed to be the clear 'cuff. 

Edited by ajs723