FollowTheLeader

Alexander Mattison 2019 Outlook

The Athletic's Jay Glazer reports the Vikings can't stop "raving about" third-round RB Alexander Mattison at camp.

"The Vikings have a rookie RB named Alexander Mattison who they were all raving about when I stopped by their camp," Glazer writes. "I mean, to a man, couldn’t stop preaching his gospel." Mike Boone has torn up the preseason for the second straight year, notching 111 yards on 22 touches through Minnesota's first two games, but Mattison (19/71) has clearly been used ahead of the former in both contests. Much like Latavius Murray's situation with the Vikings last year, Mattison is both the direct handcuff to Dalvin Cook and continues to have late-round standalone value as fantasy's current RB57.

Targeting this dude in every league. Cook hasn't proved he can stay on the field, I'm guessing he may struggle with injuries this year again. If so, Mattison could be a real difference maker.

In the drafts I got Cook I make sure to reach for Mattison. If something happens to Dalvin you have the immediate replacement and it seems this guy can carry a hefty workload. 

I love Cook but with his injury concerns I am much happier to have him handcuffed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

"Every back are being raved by their team like they are the second coming of Bo Jackson but 90 % end up like Jordan Howard."

Not good enough, I'm sorry. Cook owners have zero excuse, this kid was dirt cheap & your boy is where? Not hurt but not even suited up! What exactly is it you DO need to see to question the level of confidence they have in his durability!?..... 

On 8/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, markrc99 said:

Not good enough, I'm sorry. Cook owners have zero excuse, this kid was dirt cheap & your boy is where? Not hurt but not even suited up! What exactly is it you DO need to see to question the level of confidence they have in his durability!?..... 

Having said that, Mattison (my guy) was a bit meh in the pre-season games so far, with Cook ripping off a 85-yarder, but also this kid getting a lot of touches and good ypc:

RUSHING STATISTICS
Player    Att    Yds    Yds/Att    Long    TD
Mike Boone    35    177    5.1    64    2
Alexander Mattison    25    89    3.6    22    0
De'Angelo Henderson Sr.    17    78    4.6    13    0
Ameer Abdullah    5    67    13.4    42    0
Dalvin Cook    2    88    44.0    85    1

Behind Mattison is 24-year-old second-year back Mike Boone, who has 177 rushing yards and 51 receiving yards through three preseason games.In four seasons at Cincinnati, Boone was a dual-threat with 2,250 rushing yards and 596 receiving yards.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

Having said that, Mattison (my guy) was a bit meh in the pre-season games so far, with Cook ripping off a 85-yarder, but also this kid getting a lot of touches and good ypc:

RUSHING STATISTICS
Player    Att    Yds    Yds/Att    Long    TD
Mike Boone    35    177    5.1    64    2
Alexander Mattison    25    89    3.6    22    0
De'Angelo Henderson Sr.    17    78    4.6    13    0
Ameer Abdullah    5    67    13.4    42    0
Dalvin Cook    2    88    44.0    85    1

Yea Boone has me questioning even owning mattison at this point

29 minutes ago, scheibler said:

Yea Boone has me questioning even owning mattison at this point

Any chance Boone gets cut with Abdullah in the picture? I drafted Mattison in my draft in the 13th the other night and love that I got him there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joebaker23 said:

Any chance Boone gets cut with Abdullah in the picture? I drafted Mattison in my draft in the 13th the other night and love that I got him there.

Took with my last pick in 12 teamer, be interesting to see how many touches he gets week 1.

39 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Took with my last pick in 12 teamer, be interesting to see how many touches he gets week 1.

I’m interested to see that too. I really do believe if Dalvin goes down at any point this season (which very well is a possibility) that we have an RB1 on our hands.

• Like 1

In comparison to Devin Singletary, who would you prefer in a keeper league? Had the choice between the two and went with Mattison.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, lakerforlife42 said:

In comparison to Devin Singletary, who would you prefer in a keeper league? Had the choice between the two and went with Mattison.

I seriously believe outside of Darwin Thompson, that Mattison is the most valuable handcuff in fantasy football this year. You made the right choice.

Edited by joebaker23
  • Like 1

Let me start by saying that I took Cook in my auction draft with the intention to handcuff him with Mattison. However, upon seeing some other more immediate fliers towards the end of my draft, I got greedy and decided to wait to pick Mattison up on waivers before the season (or post week 1). To my surprise, he was drafted for $1 at the end of the draft by an owner who had Dalvin Cook last season, and thus will likely hold Mattison all season waiting for the inevitable. Needless to say, I’ve since been kicking myself.

I’ve also since been doing more research on the backfield to assess how big of a mistake I’ve potentially made (and to possibly help me sleep at night), and it seems like the #3, Mike Boone, has outperformed Mattison and could potentially be the guy if Cook were to go down. I know nothing of either player, but apparently Mattison is the short yardage back (which could be a great thing in this offense) while Boone is the Dalvin Cook “clone”, spoken by Dalvin Cook himself. Not to mention, a quick Twitter search of “Boone Mattison” will show a near consensus view (not just for fantasy purposes) that Boone is superior. I know, I know, the coaches know more than Twitter / arm chair GMs..

Does anyone know more about the situation? All I saw pre-fantasy draft was a Rotoworld blurb about how the Vikings were raving about Mattison, so I assumed he would be the next guy up given this combined with his draft capital. This is possibly (and most likely) still the case, but interested to hear any other views on whether there could be a case for Boone or a timeshare. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Let me start by saying that I took Cook in my auction draft with the intention to handcuff him with Mattison. However, upon seeing some other more immediate fliers towards the end of my draft, I got greedy and decided to wait to pick Mattison up on waivers before the season (or post week 1). To my surprise, he was drafted for $1 at the end of the draft by an owner who had Dalvin Cook last season, and thus will likely hold Mattison all season waiting for the inevitable. Needless to say, I’ve since been kicking myself.

I’ve also since been doing more research on the backfield to assess how big of a mistake I’ve potentially made (and to possibly help me sleep at night), and it seems like the #3, Mike Boone, has outperformed Mattison and could potentially be the guy if Cook were to go down. I know nothing of either player, but apparently Mattison is the short yardage back (which could be a great thing in this offense) while Boone is the Dalvin Cook “clone”, spoken by Dalvin Cook himself. Not to mention, a quick Twitter search of “Boone Mattison” will show a near consensus view (not just for fantasy purposes) that Boone is superior. I know, I know, the coaches know more than Twitter / arm chair GMs..

Does anyone know more about the situation? All I saw pre-fantasy draft was a Rotoworld blurb about how the Vikings were raving about Mattison, so I assumed he would be the next guy up given this combined with his draft capital. This is possibly (and most likely) still the case, but interested to hear any other views on whether there could be a case for Boone or a timeshare. 

I’d like to add that I did some more reading and it’s also very possible Boone gets cut lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lakerforlife42 said:

The way I see it Mattison will struggle to carve out top 40 RB value while Cook is healthy (I think Cook is the more talented runner and receiver and Mattison struggled to break big plays in college so he likely won't be too productive w/o decent volume) and very slim odds to straight up jump him on the depth chart. However, given that I think he's a solid RB who can do a little bit of everything and the Vikings are higher-end offense I think he could be a RB2 if Cook gets hurt. However, when Cook gets healthy again I think it minimally turns in to a RBBC likely with majority of touches going back to Cook as I think he's still the better talent so Mattison's "reign" is likely to be short lived. 

Singletary on the other hand I think is overall not considerably more talented as a RB than Mattison but could conceivably work his way to the top of the depth chart without even needing an injury to occur to McCoy (who could potentially be traded/cut) or Gore. They are obviously old as well so Singletary figures to get his chance sooner rather than later. The counter to that though is even if Singletary becomes the top RB on the depth chart the Bills offense isn't nearly as attractive as the Vikings offense especially given Josh Allen seemed to want to run a lot in the RZ and around the GL last season. Even if McCoy and Gore were pretty much completely out of the picture and Singletary got a majority of the RB snaps I'm not convinced his ceiling is all that high.

In other words I think Mattison has the higher fantasy upside but Singletary the higher floor and the easier road to a starting RB role albeit on an inferior team from a fantasy perspective. In most of the rookie drafts I've had across my dynasty leagues Singletary seems fairly unanimously valued higher since the pathway to him becoming a starter is much easier to visualize (aka better opportunity) where Mattison has Cook ahead of him and even if Cook gets injured and even though I think Mattison has a 3 down skill set its not a given he's used in that capacity if Cook goes down. Boone has been lighting it up this preseason and Abdullah has that high draft pedigree that maybe he finally capitalizes on if given a chance. 

Edited by Jaw1

Your talking like it’s a possibility that cook plays even a half of a season. I’ve drafted cook a few years in a row and I can y’all you he won’t play more than 5 games this year. So chances are you have a solid starting RB sitting on your waiver right now in Mattison.

• Haha 2

Mattison just dropped on our waiver wire.  I just picked up CJA.  I think its time to make a bid for this guy.  I am banking on Cook playing 8 games at the max this year.  

Latest rumors out of Vikings camp is that this dude is a stud....what are the chances this guy just carves out a significant role?  Any inside guys out there? 

got cook and damien and cuffed with darwin and alexander. also got zeke but no pollard. almost in the clear somewhat but of course prefer no injuries at all.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:47 AM, nb009 said:

"Let me start by saying that I took Cook in my auction draft with the intention to handcuff him with Mattison. However, upon seeing some other more immediate fliers towards the end of my draft, I got greedy and decided to wait to pick Mattison up on waivers before the season (or post week 1). To my surprise, he was drafted for $1 at the end of the draft by an owner who had Dalvin Cook last season, and thus will likely hold Mattison all season waiting for the inevitable. Needless to say, I’ve since been kicking myself."

Well, that's the multi-pronged pitchfork some of us just couldn't see buying into. Cook required a high investment, has a history of injury, you absolutely had to have Mattison & then there's the team's approach through all this. It's as if Cook owners are going to be shocked to witness a timeshare. Just seems beyond any doubt that they're high on Mattison & want Cook around down the stretch. Could be wrong but that's how I'm reading what they're doing.   

On 8/27/2019 at 10:00 AM, DiddleThatKitty said:

Your talking like it’s a possibility that cook plays even a half of a season. I’ve drafted cook a few years in a row and I can y’all you he won’t play more than 5 games this year. So chances are you have a solid starting RB sitting on your waiver right now in Mattison.

I'm not clairvoyant so I'm not willing to talk in certainties but Cook definitely seems at heightened injury risk which in addition to Mattison's talent and the Viking's offense definitely makes Mattison an attractive add and stash. It isn't difficult to envision a situation where Cook gets injured and Mattison takes over. I do think it'll take an injury for Mattison to do that however, I don't see him outplaying or carving out significant value with Cook healthy.  I guess not far removed from Murray and McKinnon both being relevant but idk if I necessarily see that type of partnership arising (although I don't dismiss it as a possibility). 

So who is the 2nd guy now in that backfield, Boone or Mattison?! 

I’ve just picked him out of free agency, somehow no one picked him out of the waivers. Good handcuff with a good upside.

Is this guy still looking like a high upside stash or do people think he would be in a committee with Boone if there was an injury to Cook?