oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Any info on cubs?  Is strop injury a 1 day thing?  Cant find anything on why he wasnt available today.

Cram it up your cram hole LeClerc!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Denbo32 said:

Any info on cubs?  Is strop injury a 1 day thing?  Cant find anything on why he wasnt available today.

Probably gave him rest because he pitched 2 innings on Sunday, and portably going back to committee with cishek from now on

Chris Woodward says he will discuss Jose LeClerc's "immediate situation" (compared to after LeClerc's previous blowups where Woodward said right after the game that LeClerc was still his closer going forward)

Translation: LeClerc is out as closer, but I need to talk to him first before I make it official

You cannot say Woodward did not give LeClerc every possible opportunity to keep his closer's role.  LeClerc really had no business keeping the closer's job after his 2nd meltdown against Arizona, let alone after the Houston meltdown.

I'm sure Woodward will say later today that they are only temporarily removing LeClerc from the closer's role because managers always say that since they don't want to totally destroy the pitcher's confidence.  However, if the replacement is doing well, managers seldom switch back.  It's not a particularly hard job (for anyone else other than Jose LeClerc) to pitch 1 inning and protect a 2 or 3 run lead, so I think either Kelley or Martin will do fine as closer. 

In a blood-for-saves league, I've been stashing Kelley since LeClerc's 2nd blowup against Arizona, but based on last night's usage, I'm concerned it's going to be Martin (who is already stashed by someone else) that gets the job over Kelley.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Chris Woodward says he will discuss Jose LeClerc's "immediate situation" (compared to after LeClerc's previous blowups where Woodward said right after the game that LeClerc was still his closer going forward)

Translation: LeClerc is out as closer, but I need to talk to him first before I make it official

You cannot say Woodward did not give LeClerc every possible opportunity to keep his closer's role.  LeClerc really had no business keeping the closer's job after his 2nd meltdown against Arizona, let alone after the Houston meltdown.

I'm sure Woodward will say later today that they are only temporarily removing LeClerc from the closer's role because managers always say that since they don't want to totally destroy the pitcher's confidence.  However, if the replacement is doing well, managers seldom switch back.  It's not a particularly hard job (for anyone else other than Jose LeClerc) to pitch 1 inning and protect a 2 or 3 run lead, so I think either Kelley or Martin will do fine as closer. 

In a blood-for-saves league, I've been stashing Kelley since LeClerc's 2nd blowup against Arizona, but based on last night's usage, I'm concerned it's going to be Martin (who is already stashed by someone else) that gets the job over Kelley.

Was just thinking that about Martin.

RR & CM both has him as next in line over Kelley.

For the speculators,  make sure you grab CHRIS Martin.  There's two Martins on that squad,  lol i almost screwed that up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, oswald737 said:

What do you say to the God of Blown Saves? 

sgO6hUg.gif

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Denbo32 said:

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Probably gave him rest because he pitched 2 innings on Sunday, and portably going back to committee with cishek from now on

I looked at Strop's game log last year (didn't look past 2018). He pitched 2 inning three times last year. Each time he had at least 3 days rest before his next appearance. I'm guessing it's just an extra day off after a longer than usual appearance. I don't see any reason this turns into a committee. Strop has been just fine.

More of a bench coach question but if you have one move left this week would you gamble on Kelly or Robles. Really need saves

7 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

More of a bench coach question but if you have one move left this week would you gamble on Kelly or Robles. Really need saves

Robles for me

7 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

It’s a new month and LeClerc still sucks.

I was fooled into believing. All in. I had the winning card, I drafted LeClerc. 

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-jose-leclerc-could-be-baseballs-best-reliever/

http://rotoprofessor.com/searching-for-saves-could-jose-leclerc-emerge-as-a-top-10-closer/

then add all the love in our preseason closer thread ... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Robles for me as well. He's already been used in that role this year whereas Kelly has not. I think Leclerc is more likely to get his role back than Allen is. Allen has shown signs he's not what he used to be for a couple years now. Leclerc was lights out last year so I think they give him an opportunity to figure things out and get his job back. Also there's talk that Martin could get an opportunity to take it while Leclerc is "figuring things out."

Yeah I heard about that Martin dude from Razzball...

36 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

I still think Robles and Buttery are tangled in a committee.  Buttery was used last night for the heart of order in the eighth.  It’s going to be a matchup thing...  I would lean more toward Kelley than Martin just because the fact that he has closer experience and is pitching well this year.  That’s not to say Martin can’t do it either.  Wouldn’t be shocked either way.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reichl555 said:

I still think Robles and Buttery are tangled in a committee.  Buttery was used last night for the heart of order in the eighth.  It’s going to be a matchup thing...  I would lean more toward Kelley than Martin just because the fact that he has closer experience and is pitching well this year.  That’s not to say Martin can’t do it either.  Wouldn’t be shocked either way.  

Agree with above plus would lean Martin as temporary closer in Texas

I'm ranking the questionable/volatile closers/relievers like this starting at #19:

19. Brasier

20. Neris

21. Leclerc

22. Parker

23. Strop

24. Robles

25. Alvarado

26. Romo

27. Pagan

28. Kelley

29. Swarzak

30. Webb

31. Jackson

32. Buttrey

33. Rogers

34. Cishek

35. Elias

36. Givens

37. Martin

38. Barnes

39. Castillo

40. Peralta

41. Minter

42. Kennedy

change my mind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

# of times appeared from tie to 3 run lead

Rangers

Kelley 6th inning 1

Kelley 7th inning 3

Kelley 8th inning 2

Kelley 9th inning 1

Martin 8th inning 7

Martin 9th inning 3

Angles

Buttrey 7th inning 2

Buttrey 8th inning 5

Robles 8th inning 3

Robles 9th inning 3

Leverage Innings: High (Medium)

Rangers

Martin 5.0 (2.1)

Kelley 1.2 (5.1)

Angles

Buttrey 5.1 (6.1)

Robles 1.1  (4.1)

Usage and leverage points towards Martin. While Leverage did point towards Buttrey. Its the fact that he's been used as the primary fireman, while Robles has a dedicated role that makes him the bet for saves.

Kelley also seems to be used all over the place like Buttrey. Which again, favors Martin in a dedicated role.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I just have to tout this thread for once again proving to me that its not worth investing a lot in saves on draft day (at least in my league). I did not draft a single closer this year but currently have Holland, Parker, Minter and Robles. I know the latter two are in question but I'll be adding more for sure thanks in large part to everyone who contributes to this thread. 

Thank you! 

• Like 5

Chris Martin sucks.  Why would he get the job?  Career 5.14 era, 1.41 whip, 108 hits in 89 IP.  He isn’t even pitching well this year.  Shawn Kelley is pitching good, has had a good career.  Seems like a pretty obvious choice unless the Rangers enjoy losing games.  If they’re in business of losing then Chris Martin will be the closer.  I’ll laugh seeing him face heart of orders and destroy ratios if that’s the case.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Chris Martin sucks.  Why would he get the job?  Career 5.14 era, 1.41 whip, 108 hits in 89 IP.  He isn’t even pitching well this year.  Shawn Kelley is pitching good, has had a good career.  Seems like a pretty obvious choice unless the Rangers enjoy losing games.  If they’re in business of losing then Chris Martin will be the closer.  I’ll laugh seeing him face heart of orders and destroy ratios if that’s the case.

Cause he has good songs lol

• Haha 2