oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

45 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I didn’t say thinking I said take. Group think has speculated all year that the Brewers would utilize Hader exactly like last year as soon as Jeffress came back. It’s simply not reality whether you agree with the baseball logic or not.

To be fair, Jeffress needed time to strengthen his arm to increase his velocity.  Anyone who thought he would immediately would be thrown into a closer position upon return from a shoulder injury was foolish. Those of us who are holding him understand that once he’s regained his strength and velocity, then he becomes more flexible to be utilized in such roles as a closer. Nothing is ever a guarantee but why wouldn’t they hope to utilize their bullpen as they did last year when it was effective? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

To be fair, Jeffress needed time to strengthen his arm to increase his velocity.  Anyone who thought he would immediately would be thrown into a closer position upon return from a shoulder injury was foolish. Those of us who are holding him understand that once he’s regained his strength and velocity, then he becomes more flexible to be utilized in such roles as a closer. Nothing is ever a guarantee but why wouldn’t they hope to utilize their bullpen as they did last year when it was effective? 

We went back and forth on this a few times a couple of weeks ago. I’m happy to converse on this via message if you want but I think the board is tired of this debate.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Magoo said:

We went back and forth on this a few times a couple of weeks ago. I’m happy to converse on this via message if you want but I think the board is tired of this debate.

I’m not going back and forth. There’s going to be those who are holding and hoping he gets the chance when his velo is back to norm and there will be those that take it at face value as the bullpen roles are already established.  Only time will tell. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17

if the Reds alter how they use Iglesias, who is next? Garrett? Hughes?

13 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

if the Reds alter how they use Iglesias, who is next? Garrett? Hughes?

I’d guess a rotation between Hughes/Hernandez

I don't fault a guy for fighting for getting the best out of himself in his short, pro sports career. Clearly he can be an elite closer, he's proven that. When your manager is one of the dumbest in the league, i don't care about his authority.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I’m not going back and forth. There’s going to be those who are holding and hoping he gets the chance when his velo is back to norm and there will be those that take it at face value as the bullpen roles are already established.  Only time will tell. 

Sorry not you I meant in general. 

I'm still lmao at Iglesias saying no other closers have to pitch in tie games.  What a whiner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why doesn't Iglesias just say. I only want to be brought into the easiest save situations, so when I pitch bad I don't get charged with a blown save. My next contact is based off saves and blown saves, so the more blown saves costs me money.

What a whiner, your job is to pitch. If it's the 6th inning or the 9th.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Maybe the Reds will listen to their guy (Iglesias)?

Not because he's demanding anything, but because he's being honest about the situation and how it's working for him (not working for him). As a manager, why would you force a player to do something he's not comfortable with (and obviously not successful with)? 

"The way they are using me is horribly wrong," he said. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2019/05/06/cincinnati-reds-raisel-iglesias-upset-use-non-save-situations-jose-peraza-scooter-gennett-mlb/1117685001/

"You can see the other closers, they don't pitch in tie games..."

Uh, yea they do Raisel.

And, is he suggesting he should only have 9 IP this year?  

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 1

http://rotoprofessor.com/closer-in-waiting-power-rankings-may-7-2019-significant-changes-across-rankings-jeffress-iglesias-more/

1) Jeremy Jeffress – Milwaukee Brewers (NR)
Current Closer – Josh Hader

The assumption all along was that Jeffress would return from the DL and step into a committee with Hader, but that hasn’t happened as planned.  For now he’s not even close to getting save opportunities and appears to be behind Junior Guerra in terms of opportunities.  That said Jeffress could be getting closer and closer to getting back into the mix.

Two performances isn’t going to convince anyone that he’s “back”, but Jeffress has thrown 3.0 perfect innings of late.  Overall he has a 2.35 ERA, though he’s yet to find his strikeout stuff considering his 5.87 K/9 behind an 8.7% SwStr%.  His velocity is down (95.3 mph to 92.3) and that’s likely playing a role, though it’s been back as of late (he’s averaged 94.43 mph on his fourseam fastball in each of his past three appearances).  That helps to explain the improved performance, and it’s easy to envision it continuing.

2) Amir Garrett – Cincinnati Reds (NR)
Current Closer – Raisel Iglesias

It was originally easy to blame Iglesias’ struggles on his usage, especially when he was thriving in a more conventional role, but he’s now 1-5 with a 4.86 ERA and two of his last three stumbles have come in his first inning of work:

• April 30 – 0.1 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 K (L)
  • May 3 – 1.1 IP, 1 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 2 K (BSV)
  • May 5 – 0.2 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K (L)

Those are his last three appearances, with HR coming in the last two.  Garrett, meanwhile, has been impressive with a 1.84 ERA courtesy of an 11.05 K/9, 3.07 BB/9 and 53.1% groundball rate.  That’s a skillset that can continue to thrive, and while it’s hard to envision Iglesias being removed from the role is it impossible?  It may not take much more for a change, at least on a temporary basis, and Garrett is proving he could pounce on an opportunity as he’s getting both left-handed hitters (.222 BAA) and right-handed hitters (.130 BAA).

3) Jose Leclerc – Texas Rangers (NR)
Current Closer – Shawn Kelley

Kelley is getting the first shot to fill the role for the Rangers, but does anyone really believe that Leclerc will be out of it for very long?  The Rangers have too much invested in him to keep him working in a setup role, it’s just a matter of getting him right and back to closing games (regardless of how well anyone else performs).

For Leclerc it all comes down to fixing three things:

• Control – 6.94 BB/9
  • Home Runs – 1.54 HR/9
  • Hard% – 54.8%

How quickly he gets there remains to be seen, but once he does he’ll be back closing games for the Rangers.

4) Jake Diekman – Kansas City Royals (NR)
Current Closer – Ian Kennedy/Wily Peralta

The Royals are currently using a committee, though Diekman isn’t a part of it.  That said he should be primed to grab a hold of at least a part of the role, and may take it for himself outright.  Over his past seven outings he’s allowed 0 runs on 1 H and 0 BB, striking out 9, over 7.2 IP.  That has helped him to a solid 3.00 ERA, behind a 10.80 K/9 and 3.60 BB/9.  Sure you can argue that there’s been some luck (.212 BABIP) and whether or not he can maintain an 18.2% Hard%, but there’s no arguing against the potential to assume the role.

Kennedy had seemed to be establishing himself and does still own a 2.76 ERA, but he took an ugly loss on Sunday (3 ER on 3 H over 0.2 IP) and he’s now allowed runs in two of his past four appearances (over this stretch he’s allowed 4 ER on 10 H over 5.1 IP).  That’s not to say that he’s going to be removed from at least a portion of a committee, but another stumble could lead to Diekman moving into the role.

5) Carl Edwards Jr. – Chicago Cubs (NR)
Current Closer – Pedro Strop

Edwards was once viewed as a closer of the future, and with Strop’s epic implosion on Monday night he could be thrust into the mix in short order.  He just returned to the Majors, after a Triple-A demotion due to a horrific start, and he looks to have rediscovered his form.  Over 8.1 IP at Triple-A he posted a 2.16 ERA and 0.60 WHIP with 7 K and a 2.00 GO/AO.  Remember he’s the same pitcher who posted a 2.60 ERA with 67 K over 52.0 IP in the Majors last season and another stumble from Strop could quickly lead to a change.  He’s an intriguing name to keep on your radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

I don't fault a guy for fighting for getting the best out of himself in his short, pro sports career. Clearly he can be an elite closer, he's proven that. When your manager is one of the dumbest in the league, i don't care about his authority.

Pitching your closer late in tie ballgames isn't dumb, or unconventional though.

Iglesias' complaining not only is unprofessional, but it's not even warranted, IMO.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

"You can see the other closers, they don't pitch in tie games..."

Uh, yea they do Raisel.

And, is he suggesting he should only have 9 IP this year?  

No clue. Beside the point. If people think he’s being used in the best possible way that’s fine. A lot of use have been following closely and disagree, that’s all. 

4 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

but...but....my fantasy team!

I totally get you there. At the same time if a player thrives in a certain role, as a coach shouldn't you do what's best for the team? As an analogy, hypothetically if Votto sucks at leading off and says so himself, why keep plugging him in at lead off? That's I guess where I was going with my Iglesias post. And ultimately I just need some damn saves! ;) 

But, a player can't pigeonhole themselves into such a specific and exact role.  He's essentially saying he ONLY wants to pitch in save situations.  Were Bell to oblige, Iglesias would only have 9 IP this year.  I get wanting to have a defined role, but pitching in the 9th inning of a tie game is hardly outside of what I would consider to be in a closers job description.

To use your analogy, that's like if Votto said he only wanted to pinch hit when there were runners in scoring position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

But, a player can't pigeonhole themselves into such a specific and exact role.  He's essentially saying he ONLY wants to pitch in save situations.  Were Bell to oblige, Iglesias would only have 9 IP this year.  I get wanting to have a defined role, but pitching in the 9th inning of a tie game is hardly outside of what I would consider to be in a closers job description.

To use your analogy, that's like if Votto said he only wanted to pinch hit when there were runners in scoring position.

Point taken 👍🏼

7 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I've heard that Votto offers to pinch hit for other teams in other games.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Robles and Buttrey ROS?

No clue. As an unbiased observer with no shares, I’d rank Buttrey, Allen, then Robles.

Buttrey the best arm, Allen with the “veteran presence grit experience” that guys like Ausmus love. Not sure Robles had a chance to run with it all. 

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No clue. As an unbiased observer with no shares, I’d rank Buttrey, Allen, then Robles.

Buttrey the best arm, Allen with the “veteran presence grit experience” that guys like Ausmus love. Not sure Robles had a chance to run with it all. 

Just my $0.02

More like grin and bare the bp fastballs and curveballs. 

39 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Just my $0.02

I think it’s Robles-Allen- Buttrey

i agree Buttrey is the best, but it seems they really don’t want him there

seems they want Allen to have it, and as soon as he’s somewhat competent, he’ll replace Robles

• Like 1

So, what is wrong with Blake Parker?  Two straight save opps he's gotten passed over in favor of Rogers.  It's not like Parker did anything to lose it.

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

So, what is wrong with Blake Parker?  Two straight save opps he's gotten passed over in favor of Rogers.  It's not like Parker did anything to lose it.

He IS on my team.  As stipulated by fantasy baseball law: absolutely nothing is allowed to go right for me.

And the plot thickens. All it took was 1 BS for Braiser to get the 8th?