oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Minter loves him some 54.00 ERA.  I thought he did it 4 times already but he came up short the one time with a 40.00 ERA.  My hero.  Check out his game log if you’re a sadist.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Reds and A's tied in the 9th and look Rafael, Trenein is pitching.  I hope you come in the bottom of the inning and blow this one too (just to hear you belly ache again).   And if the manager uses someone else you should be duly embarrassed...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Minter loves to destroy ratios every chance he can. 

Yes......yes he does. 

5 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Minter loves to destroy ratios every chance he can. 

Previous three outings were clean (as far as ER are concerned). Full on committee there now however I guess. Jackson the likely biggest beneficiary.

6 hours ago, jdizzle said:

I think Cubs will go to Kintzler next save opp

46 saves between 2016 and 2017. Wasn't as sharp with the Cubs in 2017 but I'll roll the dice, at least until the Cubs sign Kimbrell or trade for somebody like Smith or Greene. 

Greg Holland allowed a run on two hits and a walk while striking out one in Wednesday's 3-2 extra-innings win over the Rays.

Spin: Holland had a chance to close out the game in regulation but allowed a game-tying run in the bottom of the ninth inning after getting the first two batters out. It was his first blown save in nine opportunities and the second straight game in which he's allowed a run.

7 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Reds and A's tied in the 9th and look Rafael, Trenein is pitching.  I hope you come in the bottom of the inning and blow this one too (just to hear you belly ache again).   And if the manager uses someone else you should be duly embarrassed...

If you payed attention to his usage, you'd know that he has a valid point about being used in tie games. Mainly the other day when he was brought in the 8th of a tie game on the road to face the 7-8-9 hitters of the vaunted Mets offense. Tell me what other closer is being used in that situation

25 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

If you payed attention to his usage, you'd know that he has a valid point about being used in tie games. Mainly the other day when he was brought in the 8th of a tie game on the road to face the 7-8-9 hitters of the vaunted Mets offense. Tell me what other closer is being used in that situationo

Lol ok how about Barnes and/or Brasier in Boston,  Alvarado in Tampa,  and of course Hader with the Brewers, not to mention every other bullpen that acts as a committee in which guys work different innings and in different scenarios. What point can you possibly be making on a dude's behalf who moans about coming in at various times of close game? 

Is Strop worth stashing? Going to be out 3-4 weeks and there are plenty of options in the bullpen. 

If you payed attention to his usage, you'd know that he has a valid point about being used in tie games. Mainly the other day when he was brought in the 8th of a tie game on the road to face the 7-8-9 hitters of the vaunted Mets offense. Tell me what other closer is being used in that situation

It's his job to pitch when called upon.  Bottom line.  Do you see all the Rays relievers calling them out to reporters about having to start games?  I would much rather start work at 10 AM instead of 6 AM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

So now he is complaining that the 7-9 batters are too much to ask of him?  Not sure where that one is supposed to land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

Lol ok how about Barnes and/or Brasier in Boston,  Alvarado in Tampa,  and of course Hader with the Brewers, not to mention every other bullpen that acts as a committee in which guys work different innings and in different scenarios. What point can you possibly be making on a dude's behalf who moans about coming in at various times of close game? 

Because the usage is stupid. Categorically. Why would anyone in their right mind use their best bullpen arm to retire the garbage part of the opposing team's lineup in a tie game on the road? Top of the lineup, heart of the order, both understandable. Against 7-8-9 is inexcusable, especially against an NL team with a below average offense. 

10 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Because the usage is stupid. Categorically. Why would anyone in their right mind use their best bullpen arm to retire the garbage part of the opposing team's lineup in a tie game on the road? Top of the lineup, heart of the order, both understandable. Against 7-8-9 is inexcusable, especially against an NL team with a below average offense. 

We are talking about 2 different issues here. Complaining that you believe you deliver the most value to the team by facing the highest leverage situations makes sense.

Blaming your poor performance on facing the 7-9 hitters in the 8th inning doesn’t.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

So now he is complaining that the 7-9 batters are too much to ask of him?  Not sure where that one is supposed to land.

Its the logic behind the use and the thing is, there was a glaring lack of it exhibited in that case

7 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Its the logic behind the use and the thing is, there was a glaring lack of it exhibited in that case

Do you think Hader never faced the bottom if the order? Especially if some  lefties to get out in the 8th inning?me Or the Tampa closing  duo? Or Barnes etc. etc.? 

Fact is it doesn't matter even if we all agreed he had a point (which we don't because he doesn't). His job is to pitch when called upon. And he better get used to it because the day of being used only for the 9th inning is passing everyone by.  However, more than anything else he threw his manager under the bus with his comments. Instead, he needs to man up and take responsibility for his own pitching record. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

We are talking about 2 different issues here. Complaining that you believe you deliver the most value to the team by facing the highest leverage situations makes sense.

Blaming your poor performance on facing the 7-9 hitters in the 8th inning doesn’t.

If you're not feeling 100%, maybe because you threw an unnecessary inning or two a couple of days ago, how are you going to do?  

The poor performance wasn't against those 7-8-9 hitters in that game, Gave up a double, IBB another guy. No runs allowed in that inning. He ended up going 2 innings overall and the Reds even ended up winning that game and he got the W. Still.... a W in the game doesn't excuse the manager's ineptness displayed while getting there and the misuse (and it was misuse) in that game was likely what  he feels impacted him down the road which is what likely lead to the complaint. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I see his complaints as being more about excusing bad performance.  I don’t think you would have heard a word about it if he struck out the side his last few games.  He was pissed that he had given up 4 runs over 2 innings in his last 3 appearances and venting about usage was his way of deflecting his responsibility for those numbers.  Probably was pissed at himself and then pivoting to bring mad that he was even in the game in those situations.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I see his complaints as being more about excusing bad performance.  I don’t think you would have heard a word about it if he struck out the side his last few games.  He was pissed that he had given up 4 runs over 2 innings in his last 3 appearances and venting about usage was his way of deflecting his responsibility for those numbers.  Probably was pissed at himself and then pivoting to bring mad that he was even in the game in those situations.

Exactly, 100%, this.

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Some players perform better with a defined role,  and some don't.  

Cincy should accept that and use Iglesias accordingly.   Not much sense thinking they have another Hader who can pitch anytime any inning.

• Like 1

even more on the luke jackson train now haha and even more of a feeling they get kimbrel (cubs may become a factor too now)

and i now have LAA at hansel - buttrey, im over allen he looks just donezo, robles should be owned moving forward except maybe 10 teamers depending on format

24 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Some players perform better with a defined role,  and some don't.  

Cincy should accept that and use Iglesias accordingly.   Not much sense thinking they have another Hader who can pitch anytime any inning.

Exactly, 100%, this.

However, it appears that Counsel hasn't been dumb enough to bring Hader into such a situation. At least not that I can find since the start of 2018

Does anyone else hope the cubs and the braves miss the playoffs by like 1 game because they were to cheap to sign kimbrel earlier in the season when it a clear need?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Because the usage is stupid. Categorically. Why would anyone in their right mind use their best bullpen arm to retire the garbage part of the opposing team's lineup in a tie game on the road?

Maybe they don't consider him the best bullpen arm anymore? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3