oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

49 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I'm ranking the questionable/volatile closers/relievers like this starting at #19:

19. Brasier

20. Neris

21. Leclerc

22. Parker

23. Strop

24. Robles

25. Alvarado

26. Romo

27. Pagan

28. Kelley

29. Swarzak

30. Webb

31. Jackson

32. Buttrey

33. Rogers

34. Cishek

35. Elias

36. Givens

37. Martin

38. Barnes

39. Castillo

40. Peralta

41. Minter

42. Kennedy

change my mind

Parker should be at the top of the list. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

More of a bench coach question but if you have one move left this week would you gamble on Kelly or Robles. Really need saves

Might be but for a thread like this most of us are probably deciding the same thing so a helpful question to throw out there nonetheless 👍

Edited by kmoore1521

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Chris Martin sucks.  Why would he get the job?  Career 5.14 era, 1.41 whip, 108 hits in 89 IP.  He isn’t even pitching well this year.  Shawn Kelley is pitching good, has had a good career.  Seems like a pretty obvious choice unless the Rangers enjoy losing games.  If they’re in business of losing then Chris Martin will be the closer.  I’ll laugh seeing him face heart of orders and destroy ratios if that’s the case.

Modern day baseball is acknowledging that the 9th isn't always the highest leverage spot. You want Kelley to face the teams toughest Right Handers in the toughest spots. Regardless of where that is. Which appears is how he's already being used.

Kelley got his tits lit as a dedicated closer before. All he does is throw sliders and lefties can figure him out quick because he lives in the K zone with no out pitch vs them.

Would be better than Martin who doesn't have track record of getting anyone out? Yes! Mananger doesn't seem to trust anyone else though.🤷‍♀️

You talk of losing games, but holding Kelley back when the game gets tight in the 7th or 8th vs right hander's sounds like another good way to lose games. Truth is LeCleric is probably not losing this job for very long. 

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is there consensus on the Webb vs Jackson dilemma? Is there at least a chance that Minter and Leclerc are treated similarly? Both have flashed nice long term closer upside.

I'd put my chips on Webb's side, assuming Minter loses the role. Hasn't he been in the 8th?

Webb did look impressive the other night. 

26 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'd put my chips on Webb's side, assuming Minter loses the role. Hasn't he been in the 8th?

His previous 2 appearances, before the save, we're both in the 8th. However, both times ATL was trailing when he was brought in. So not a true set up scenario

2 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Leclerc officially out as closer

question is for how long....a week, 2 weeks? More? Up to Leclerc and how he responds.

• Like 1

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

question is for how long....a week, 2 weeks? More? Up to Leclerc and how he responds.

They like him, I saw a couple weeks

Anyone grabbing Martin as well?

Just now, BaseballMuggle said:

They like him, I saw a couple weeks

Anyone grabbing Martin as well?

Martins #s look terrible at a quick glance. I'd stick with Kelley only.

Leclerc, The Clerk.

2zwfxg.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Parker should be at the top of the list. 

any reason to think he doesn't hold the job ROS and do well? Not a top guy, but well enough?

8 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Leclerc, The Clerk.

2zwfxg.jpg

So far it’s the truth. Can I cry ? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So far it’s the truth. Can I cry ? 

Our ratios are toasted...

Leclerc is out as closer...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Any stock in the fact Kelley pitched the 7th last night and Martin pitched the 8th?

Posted (edited)

During last night's press conference a reporter asked Woodward if he's had any thoughts of replacing Leclerc with Shawn Kelley, which really doesn't mean anything but I was assuming that Kelley would be the guy. He's been the Rangers best reliever, but on local radio this morning they said Kelley and Martin will share closer duties.   Either way, Leclerc will get the job back as soon as he figures it out. They're paying him way too much money not to.  And he's their best pitcher.

Edited by DFWSooner
  • Like 3

Doubt we get a Rangers save opp today.  Shelby on the mound he’s usually good for a heavy reaming.

Ian kennedy 2 inning save

is he the royals closer?  it has to be between him and peralta...right?

3 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

im inclined to agree...but they  might use kelley in the fireman role

they sort of did last night

Anyone think that touissaint or one of the other deposed braves SPs with no starting role at moment can close in the short term?

2 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Anyone think that touissaint or one of the other deposed braves SPs with no starting role at moment can close in the short term?

Can't see them giving up on any of those young arms just yet. Touki has always had lights out RP written all over him (IMO anyways) but my guess is that the Braves will give him a little more time before making that switch.  A couple of them will end up in the pen or traded out of Anderson, Soroka, Allard, Wright, Touki and Wilson.

2 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

Can't see them giving up on any of those young arms just yet. Touki has always had lights out RP written all over him (IMO anyways) but my guess is that the Braves will give him a little more time before making that switch.  A couple of them will end up in the pen or traded out of Anderson, Soroka, Allard, Wright, Touki and Wilson.

I agree long-term he is a starter or will be tried as such;  but modern day teams see temporary bullpen moves as a way to limit innings AND fill a need on the big league club, my question was more about that. 

28 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Ian kennedy 2 inning save

is he the royals closer?  it has to be between him and peralta...right?

you are a hall of famer asking if ian kennedy is the closer? apologize to yourself, KC is royally FUBAR this year

• Confused 4

Just read an article stating that Kimbrel will very likely wait until after the June 4 draft so teams will avoid having to use the draft pick.  And he's refusing to sign a one year deal. 

If you've held on to him this long, I mean you pretty much have to stick it out now, right?