oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Melancon lit up again. Idk who was suggesting him getting closing chances LOL

Iglesias converts but it wasn't easy. Shaky control and then leaving stuff over the heart.

1 minute ago, Eddie Mush said:

It was his manager

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Melancon has now given up 6 runs (5 earned) in his last 3 appearances. He may get the job when the Giants trade away Smith and Watson but he won't keep it for very long. 

Kudos to Iglesias for picking up the save today despite his manager putting him into a less than ideal situation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Leclerc in 3-2 game in the 8th. 2 walks and a hit...here we go.

Walked in a run. 

Edited by Eddie Mush

Just when you think he’s going to regain the role. 

I give up. You expect me to choose from Robles, Martin or Cishek? LOL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Just when you think he’s going to regain the role. 

I give up. You expect me to choose from Robles, Martin or Cishek? LOL

Why would you think LeClerc is going to regain the closer's role?  LeClerc can't throw strikes and Chris Martin has done absolutely nothing to lose the role so far.  Managers always say it's temporary when they remove someone from the closer's role in order to avoid toally destroying the pitcher's confidence, but the ex-closer almost never gets the job back. 

5 hours ago, street sharks said:

It's Moronta or bust for me when Smith gets traded

Moronta's worth owning even if he's not the closer.  He's a great stash in my opinion.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

Why would you think LeClerc is going to regain the closer's role?  LeClerc can't throw strikes and Chris Martin has done absolutely nothing to lose the role so far.  Managers always say it's temporary when they remove someone from the closer's role in order to avoid toally destroying the pitcher's confidence, but the ex-closer almost never gets the job back. 

Not unless you sign a guy to 3-4 year contract to be your closer. Leclerc will get his chances.....just doesn't seem like we'll see the pitcher from last year for a few months.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Not unless you sign a guy to 3-4 year contract to be your closer. Leclerc will get his chances.....just doesn't seem like we'll see the pitcher from last year for a few months.

In my opinion, I honestly wouldn't waste a roster spot holding a non-closer who is going to torch your ratios, just on the off chance that he might get his closer's role back in a few months.  Someone like Moronta (who will actually put up good ratios and is still valuable fantasy-wise even as a non closer) is a way better stash in my opinion.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

In my opinion, I honestly wouldn't waste a roster spot holding a non-closer who is going to torch your ratios, just on the off chance that he might get his closer's role back in a few months.  Someone like Moronta (who will actually put up good ratios and is still valuable fantasy-wise even as a non closer) is a way better stash in my opinion.

I agree. I just think there will be some point this season when Leclerc regains the role and is solid. The others relievers they have aren't impressive. But yes, Leclerc is a drop for now.

14 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Moronta's worth owning even if he's not the closer.  He's a great stash in my opinion.

Yeah doesn't he have like 30 K's in just 16 innings?  That's approaching prime years Betance-like stuff.

According to MLB.com's TR Sullivan, Chris Martin will serve as the Rangers' closer in Shawn Kelley's absence.

Kelley vacated his ninth-inning responsibilities Thursday when the Rangers placed him on the injured list with an infection. Jose Leclerc served as closer early in the year but was demoted to setup duty after getting off to a dismal start. Manager Chris Woodward has hinted that Leclerc could return to his ninth-inning post at some point, but not yet. With Kelley on the shelf and Leclerc still working to earn back Woodward's trust, Martin should be first in line for saves in the Lone Star State. He's still available in 92 percent of Yahoo fantasy leagues.

Source: MLB.com                              May 9, 2019, 9:08 PM ET

I hope this TR Sullivan guy knows what he is talking about since I have Martin on a few teams already.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

It was Bochy, but that was also before he went on his scorched-ratio campaign. Screw saving face...I don’t know how you put Melancon back in that role. Whether they put Moronta in it or not, Melancon is a disaster waiting to happen as closer. Heck, he’ll probably end up on the IL anyway. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, Magoo said:

Excuses aside, in my 30 plus years of watching baseball I have never seen a manager singlehandedly cause more losses than Bell. The drinking bird could do better.

Late response here but this comment is spot on.   He's in way over his head. 

1 minute ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

That's 3 consecutive crap outings for Holland.

Not a “crap” outing - Donaldson successfully sleuthed that he would get a slider, moved up in the box, and crushed it.  No one else did anything of note against him.

So a closer asked to protect a tie game in the 9th inning gives up a HR  and had 2 crap outings before that is nothing to be concerned about?

2 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

So a closer asked to protect a tie game in the 9th inning gives up a HR  and had 2 crap outings before that is nothing to be concerned about?

I'm a little concerned lol, but he has some leash me thinks. Bradley and Hirano have been struggling as of late as well. 

7 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I would describe the concern level as “mild” at this point, personally.  He’s still around a 2.00 ERA for the season.  Give Donaldson his due - he’s a very heady hitter.