oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I get your point and don’t disagree. But go with what works. Don’t care about score or which inning but keep it to one inning. 

Edit. And again he’s not elite. I think the Reds think he’s Hader or something. 

He used to be a guy who could go an inning plus.  What happened? 

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I get your point and don’t disagree. But go with what works. Don’t care about score or which inning but keep it to one inning. 

Edit. And again he’s not elite. I think the Reds think he’s Hader or something. 

Ya but who knows what works?  If he blows a save next time what is he going to say then?  If he blows two or three how is he going to view his usage then?    To me it's all just rationalization on his part and that's fine if he kept it to himself.   As humans we do that all the time.   I actually have never owned him so don't have any stake in the game.  However, his comments last week just sort of get me going on the topic.  I should just let it lay...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Getting older? Dunno. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Father time is undefeated.

But he still can (he has at least once this year) but with that bullpen depth they don't need him to. 

8 hours ago, TC84 said:

I don't know what's happening in Tampa Bay's committee but it's safe to say Alvarado ain't even in consideration. Pitched the 7th in a one run game. Ugh. Dropable imo

The day before yesterday Castillo pitched the 8th and Alvarado was warming up to pitch the 9th. TB scored another run in the top of the 9th to go up 4-0, and Alvarado sat back down. He was clearly coming in for the save, before the run was scored. I say it's still a committee with Castillo & Alvarado, with Pagan a distant third.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ragrag said:

he is horribly misused.

Careful there. You'll get the masses all riled up because he dared speak up about that fact to the media. 

6 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Yes, and only when up by 1 to 3 runs in the 9th please.  No tie games ever as that would be a blatant misuse of his role in the pen...  

oops. too late 

I've been arguably the loudest critic of how Boone has used him, but I'd say that last night was at least textbook. 9th inning, tied game at home, no save op will present itself so use him, so its hard to complain.

However, I don't necessarily agree with the textbook itself.

If presented with the same situation, 6-7-8 due up isn't where I'd burn my closer. I'd hold him for if/when the strength of lineup comes up later in the game, but that's outside of the box thinking that some wouldn't agree with 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

The day before yesterday Castillo pitched the 8th and Alvarado was warming up to pitch the 9th. TB scored another run in the top of the 9th to go up 4-0, and Alvarado sat back down. He was clearly coming in for the save, before the run was scored. I say it's still a committee with Castillo & Alvarado, with Pagan a distant third.

and he lost a couple of other save chances this month (one within a week or so) where he did enter the 9th but the Rays scored in the 8th to wipe away another save opportunity.  He's actually been very unfortunate it seems but if you examine closely he's still in the mix...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

As a SAGNOF purist, I try to avoid committees like the Rays’ at all costs.

But if the situation were dire, I’d definitely go with Castillo over Alvarado at this point. 

• Like 1

Luke Jackson looked hella erratic last night in that 9th inning. I know he pitched a bit in the 8th so maybe that had something to do with him living outside the k-zone? I've never watched him pitch before last night so I'm not sure what his tendencies are but as an owner Im hoping he doesn't rely on swings and misses out of the strike zone as much as he did last night. I noticed only one slider was actually in the zone and the others werent even really close even though they got hitters to bite. Ill happily take the save regardless...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

But if the situation were dire, I’d definitely go with Castillo over Alvarado at this point. 

Retweet

Castillo is the head of the committee IMO, Alvarado gets the Lefty heavy saves, Pagan is 3rd on the totem pole may get a sporadic save because baseball, but i wouldn't bother rostering him

Edited by kmoore1521

Alvarado will get more saves IMO.  As others have alluded to he missed 2 saves in last week by Rays scoring in 8th of close games.  He still came in to pitch the 9th, while Castillo was used in 8th.  He seems more likely to face the better bats of a team.  K

Doolittle's command looks like pig slop to start the inning

Thanks for those 2 ER Kennedy in a 15-1 game..or whatever it was at that time.

1 minute ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Doolittle's command looks like pig slop to start the inning

He’s shocked to have received a save opp

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doolittle getting flogged in the wood shed.............

Doolittle gonna need a shot of bourbon after this outing. 

41 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Thanks for those 2 ER Kennedy in a 15-1 game..or whatever it was at that time.

just saw the box score ... my first rage drop of the season

LeClerc to be used as an opener now? Is he still worth holding in a league full of saves hawks? 

Still think he's the best arm in their pen.

4 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

LeClerc to be used as an opener now? Is he still worth holding in a league full of saves hawks

I mean, you pretty much answered your own question.

I'm in a similar situation (12 team AL-only) and anyone remotely with a chance at saves (closer + first man up after) is owned.

I agree, best arm in their pen.  He's just a head case.

11 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I think a lot of it is just bad timing.   When they play Boston and NYY and Betts/JD or Stanton/Judge come up in the 8th you'll likely see Castillo pitching then.  From this point forward I'm guessing no more than a 5 save difference.

1 hour ago, Lebanasty said:

I mean, you pretty much answered your own question.

I'm in a similar situation (12 team AL-only) and anyone remotely with a chance at saves (closer + first man up after) is owned.

I agree, best arm in their pen.  He's just a head case.

I think it's mechanical (or minor shoulder issue) more than between the ears.   He's dragging his arm and it looks like his release point might be a little lower than last year. 

I'd love to see one of his side sessions (Yu's as well) to see if it's just a game time issue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swfcdan said:

LeClerc to be used as an opener now? Is he still worth holding in a league full of saves hawks? 

I'm still holding and actually hope he makes 3 starts so he'll get SP eligibility in Yahoo. Then a move back to closer would make him extremely valuable.

• Like 3

Iglesias 1 Inning 12 pc clean save 2K. Hmmmm

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Iglesias 1 Inning 12 pc clean save 2K. Hmmmm

nah, I am not biting again... 🙂

• Haha 1