oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Swarzak destined for middle relief?

Posted (edited)

Quick! Everyone take a moment to decipher what Workman working the 6th in an 8-2 game means. 

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Quick! Everyone take a moment to decipher what Workman working the 6th in an 8-2 game means. 

Top 5 closer ros of course

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Oh man. That's awful. No real closer in Boston...

5 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Because he hadn't pitched in 4 days and it was a close game.

A close game? They were losing by 4

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I wasn't aware of that. looks like just a salary dump.

Yeah it appears it was basically a salary dump and with the way Swarzak has looked, I'm on board with that decision. lol

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

A close game? They were losing by 4

Close'ish.

Regardless, he was just getting an inning in.

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Swarzak destined for middle relief?

i think hes destined for  DFA

Anyone know what the deal is with TEX for who's closing ? 

Kelly was and off the DL tomorrow, Leclerc is pitching pretty darn good again. Haven't heard anything concrete who they're going with. 

Just now, tonywow said:

Anyone know what the deal is with TEX for who's closing ? 

Kelly was and off the DL tomorrow, Leclerc is pitching pretty darn good again. Haven't heard anything concrete who they're going with. 

and chris martin gave up 3 ER tonight in the 9th, he got exactly 1 save during his interim closer run.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Newcomb gets the save. Didn’t see that coming 

Worth the add?

Already added. He’s a high K guys but always been lacking in control. However if he can go out in an inning and attack hitters without worrying about holding back then he could possibly be a solid closer.

Just now, HaloFanatic17 said:

Already added. He’s a high K guys but always been lacking in control. However if he can go out in an inning and attack hitters without worrying about holding back then he could possibly be a solid closer.

I wonder if they mix and match with Jackson. I know if a guy drops Jackson he will get next opportunity 😮

• Like 1

Interesting. The save Jackson blew the other night was the most unlucky stuff you can imagine against the Brew Crew. Find it hard to believe Jackson lost his job due to that game.

I'm wondering how much of Newcomb getting the save opportunity had to do with the fact that two lefties were due up in the 9th (Duggar and Panik).  I might not rush and pick him just for that reason.

• Like 2

If it were me, I would really follow the beat writers tonight and especially early tomorrow on *any* comment why the Braves used Newcomb tonight. It may help shed some light on what Snitker was/is thinking. I understand some play in leagues people make moves on a dime, on anything that may turn into a possibility, which means you may not have time to follow what the beat writers are saying.

• Like 1

Just my opinion but I think Leclerc gets the next save chance for Texas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swfcdan said:

So who's buying Workman then?

Absolutely crazy numbers so far: 20IP, 15BBs, 30Ks, 5ERs, and just 4 Hits! More ERs than hits!

The walks are ugly, K's are great though and when they put wood on they arent doing anything.

We know they like Barnes in the highest leverage spot, so the backup role seems to have switched from Brazier to Workman now?

Workman is a multi-inning guy and was sometimes used as a 6th pr 7th starter in the past.

10 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Or if you own Brasier, drop for Workman

Brasier hit a bad patch.  Sox aren't giving up on him for the end of the bullpen.  Cora is just trying to de-pressure the situations he is in for awhile until he works himself back.

10 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Why are so many people picking up Marcus Walden for Boston instead of Workman?

Because those people don't watch Red Sox games and go by "rankings" instead.

I would imagine just some rest for Jackson in a 3 run game. He pitched 7.1 innings in the 10 days going into today. 

Workman almost walks a batter per inning on average...fips indicate regression is coming