oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Pedestrian Parker gets the save. 1 ha and maybe should’ve had a DP but called safe before he got the last out - weak dribbler. 

7 hours ago, Random Dude said:

I would imagine just some rest for Jackson in a 3 run game. He pitched 7.1 innings in the 10 days going into today. 

This is probably right as Jackson was used a lot in the last week.  The other thing I'd point out is Newcomb and Winkler were both up in the pen, but Newcomb was used with two lefties due up.  Had the inning been all RHB, could have easily been Winkler instead.  

I think the point is Newcomb and Winkler are becoming (or are already) the most trusted setup men ahead of Jackson.  Jackson's really done nothing to lose the role.  He threw 57 pitches across 3 games last week prior to throwing another 21 on Saturday night and not being quite as sharp.  I'm guessing they just wanted to give him a couple of days off with a 3-run lead against a weak lineup.

Newcomb hasn't allowed an earned run since being called back up and Luke Jackson  has blown 33% of his save opportunities this year. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

This is probably right as Jackson was used a lot in the last week.  The other thing I'd point out is Newcomb and Winkler were both up in the pen, but Newcomb was used with two lefties due up.  Had the inning been all RHB, could have easily been Winkler instead.  

I think the point is Newcomb and Winkler are becoming (or are already) the most trusted setup men ahead of Jackson.  Jackson's really done nothing to lose the role.  He threw 57 pitches across 3 games last week prior to throwing another 21 on Saturday night and not being quite as sharp.  I'm guessing they just wanted to give him a couple of days off with a 3-run lead against a weak lineup.

Jackson was warming up in the 9th. 

51 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Newcomb hasn't allowed an earned run since being called back up and Luke Jackson  has blown 33% of his save opportunities this year. 

How many of that 33% was in the traditional closer role and how many were from a set-up/MR role?

Edit: looked it up myself. One of his three BS came as a MR, and the other two came in the closer role. 

Edited by Flyman75

Jackson was warming up in the 9th after Newcomb just in case, tells me Jackson is clearly the closer but I do applaud everyone for adding Newcomb in hold leagues. Great job!

3 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Jackson was warming up in the 9th after Newcomb just in case, tells me Jackson is clearly the closer but I do applaud everyone for adding Newcomb in hold leagues. Great job!

In leagues where saves are precious, I don’t blame anyone for grabbing Newcomb. And MRs/set-up guys have use in some leagues that don’t count holds. So depending on the league, he was a good pick-up. 

It's Jackson's job.  Newcomb is worth monitoring should Jackson falter.   I'd expect he's the #2 now, or is in the plans to be, since he got the nod last night. 

Anyone think Leclerc is going to close like now, or TEX will go back to Kelly off the DL today ?

Leclerc has pitched great this month, but they are using him in different ways currently like his brief start other day. He and Kelly are FAs in my league but can't grab both. Wish the picture was a bit more clear what TEX plans are short term.

28 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

It's Jackson's job.  Newcomb is worth monitoring should Jackson falter.   I'd expect he's the #2 now, or is in the plans to be, since he got the nod last night. 

EXACTLY....and could for sure get save opps depending on the situation no matter if jackson is still the #1 or not......(parker/rogers)

12 minutes ago, el_Mantico said:

The important stuff:

3. Attention fantasy baseball players: Jose Leclerc could return to the closing games for the Rangers on Tuesday.

The catch is it might not be a permanent stay, but the situation that manager Chris Woodwardenvisioned for getting Leclerc a trial run at closer will present itself if the Rangers are up in the ninth inning.

Martin won’t be available after pitching two games in a row. Shawn Kelley will be reinstated from the IL, but Woodward said that he doesn’t want to give him a save chance in his first outing back.

That leaves Leclerc by default, and that’s is how Woodward wanted to give him his first chance back in the ninth inning.

“It’s just one of those things where right now, most likely, it’s going to be a situation like that where we’re out of necessity,” Woodward said. “That’s kind of how I envisioned it getting back to him, and then seeing how he responds.”

Leclerc has struck out 10 batters in his past 4 1/3 innings, including five of the six batters he faced Sunday over two perfect innings in the fifth and sixth.

Kelley has been the Rangers’ best reliever this season, but he had surgery Thursday to have lumps removed from his throat. He expects to get the results of a biopsy Wednesday or Thursday.

• Like 2

Brasier with a clean inning last night in garbage time . Maybe needed that to get his sh!t together ? 

• Like 1

Leclerc will undoubtedly get his shot to reclaim the job.  I want to throw a little shade on Leclerc going forward tho.  His profile is a little sketchy for a closer which is why I avoided him in all my drafts.  On the positive side he has an elite K rate.  However the negatives are the awful control (career minor league BB/9 of 5.1, MLB 6.0) and his low GB rate (35% career minors & pros).  The negatives are a bad mix for a closer.  Walking guys and giving up fly balls is no bueno. 

Felipe Vazquez's 2018 should be a lesson for fantasy players.  Guy had an absolutely awful start to last year but had a borderline elite finish. Closing is such a mental game, but in general you have to hope talent wins in the end.  Not saying Leclerc is on Vazquez's level, but if you believe in the talent being patient with a closer can yield big rewards.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

EXACTLY....and could for sure get save opps depending on the situation no matter if jackson is still the #1 or not......(parker/rogers)

As stated above, both Winkler and Newcomb were warming up in the pen.  With two lefties due up for the Giants, Newcomb got the call.  Could have just as easily been Winkler had it been a more right-heavy situation.  I wouldn't count Newcomb as the clear #2 just yet.  That BP is pretty fluid ATM while they see what gels.

• Like 1

Sounds like Winkler might be worth grabbing, no? Or am I misreading the last several posts on this situation? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Sounds like Winkler might be worth grabbing, no? Or am I misreading the last several posts on this situation? 

Most people seem to think it is Jackson first and Winkler / Newcomb setting him up and sharing vulture saves.  That is my current bet.  I would think you'd need to be a very competitive saves league or to really believe in Winkler to roster  him.  He has been solid after coming back from elbow issues but there are a lot of guys I'd rather bet on than him.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Jackson and Winkler are both righties. Winkler sounds more like just a handcuff for Jackson, while Newcomb could get some situational saves being his opposite hand.

So about as good of spec add as any other set up man. Depends on how much you trust Jackson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Jackson and Winkler are both righties. Winkler sounds more like just a handcuff for Jackson, while Newcomb could get some situational saves being his opposite hand.

So about as good of spec add as any other set up man. Depends on how much you trust Jackson.

With the overlay that Atlanta's bullpen remains a real risk to bring in someone by trade or Kimbrel signing.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

With the overlay that Atlanta's bullpen remains a real risk to bring in someone by trade or Kimbrel signing.  

#freetouissaint 

• Like 1

Are the Rangers ready to put Leclerc back in the closer’s role?
Manager Chris Woodward is not ready to anoint anybody as the closer. Shawn Kelley is expected to come off the injured list on Tuesday and Woodward still has confidence in Chris Martin -- even though he had a blown save on Sunday afternoon. Woodward said he could use all three in that role.

At some point, Leclerc will likely take over as closer. But Woodward also likes him in other roles, including opener and middle relief. Leclerc was dominant on Sunday -- striking out five of six batters in the fifth and sixth innings against the Cardinals. Woodward saw that as a huge part of the Rangers' 10-inning win.

Why is Ken Giles listed as DTD now?

9 minutes ago, Ryno23 said:

Why is Ken Giles listed as DTD now?

sore wrist, was unavailable last game also

• Thanks 1

Hunter Strickland is getting ready for his close up in mid june