oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Connor Sadzeck, will eventually be their closer. He loses the strikezone sometimes, but has great stuff.

I need to dig up my old Kapler dartboard meme.

definitely not cool hand luke.  blows 3-1 lead.  blown save.  newcomb owners smile.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, swingbatter said:

definitely not cool hand luke.  blows 3-1 lead.  blown save.  newcomb owners smile.

Ruh roh 

Just now, swingbatter said:

Certainly likely to get more complicated now!

I'd bet they give Newcomb the next opp. Jackson is probably toast. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Touki has been their best reliever

spacer.png

Newcomb is not on this list so has to be viewed as incomplete.  Still I picked up Toussaint as I can see him moving up the depth chart if he stays in the bullpen.  However, Newcomb has pitched well lately and has a save and a few holds under his belt so...

Edited by knuckleheads

8 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Touki has been their best reliever

spacer.png

Touki's ERA is over 5. Funny to omit his horrendous start against Cleveland when he went 1.1 IP that time and two of his games as reliever looked more like starter appearances at 4 and 6 ip.

Just now, knuckleheads said:

Newcomb is not on this list so has to be viewed as incomplete.  Still I picked up Toussaint as I can see him moving up the depth chart if he stays in the bullpen.  However, Newcomb has pitched well lately and has a save and a few holds under his belt so...

I forgot to lower the IP threshold, but he's got better numbers than touki actually across the board other than GB%, swstr%, and k/9

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, barret said:

Touki's ERA is over 5. Funny to omit his horrendous start against Cleveland when he went 1.1 IP that time and two of his games as reliever looked more like starter appearances at 4 and 6 ip.

Those are only relief numbers in the table

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, street sharks said:

I forgot to lower the IP threshold, but he's got better numbers than touki actually across the board other than GB%, swstr%, and k/9

Well those are three key indicators that I like to look at so he's doing well to be ahead of Newcomb there.  Walks/9 being another one that is key and Touki's is at a rate that I think he can work with.   It's all so short sample still but he's definitely worth an add in saves/holds leagues and on the watch list in save only leagues.  Newcomb should be owned in both now (12 teamers)...  

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

That's about as good as you can hope for as far as a return to studliness.  It seems the Rangers are not quite ready to hand over the closing duties quite yet so maybe he'll open another game or two and get that Yahoo sp designation as well. BTW with regards to domination Kirby Yates has struck out 23 of his last 27 outs.  Beats Kerry Wood by 3...

• Like 1

Well you know one thing for certain.  Neris will get the next save opp. 

42 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Well you know one thing for certain.  Neris will get the next save opp. 

Has Kapler been fired?  If not, don't think you can know anything with Philly closers for "certain."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, street sharks said:

Touki has been their best reliever...

back on page 5 I said I doubt the Braves are going to give up on Toussaint as a starter (the vast majority of his minor/major league appearances have been starts), which would mean he almost certainly will never be the closer this year.

Personally, I think in most leagues the ostensible move is dropping Jackson for Newcomb, since he got the save a couple days ago. Newcomb is also a prospect they hoped would be a solid SP. But he's 3 years older than Toussaint and hasn't shown much promise as of yet. If they really want to hold out on Newcomb being a SP, then my guess would still be Webb or Swarzak over Toussaint.

who is an option in Atlanta.

Luke Jackson, AJ Minter, Dan Wilkler, Anthony Swarzak, Jacob Webb, Sean Newcomb.

just sign Kimbrel already and end this.

• Like 1

Newcombs stats look very meh from k rate to walk rate etc

ATL bullpen turning into SEA bullpen where you just stay away (strickland will be the closer when back IMO and i still think ATL signs kimbrel)

Good news for us Jackson owners.  We have an open roster spot.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

And Kelley still got the save last night...no reason to switch as long as Kelley keeps saving games. The fact that leclerc could not regain the role while Kelley was hurt is telling to me. Change my mind

Edited by Dr. Whom

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Newcombs stats look very meh from k rate to walk rate etc

ATL bullpen turning into SEA bullpen where you just stay away (strickland will be the closer when back IMO and i still think ATL signs kimbrel)

not since his move to the pen (minus the initial outing vs. mets on 4/13)....he has been very solid over the last 7 outings since then

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992
  • Like 1