oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

Dating back to his last 13 IP in AAA, to his 8.1 IP up in big leagues Newcomb has 0 BB.  Looks like he might of found something in AAA.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

And Kelley still got the save last night...no reason to switch as long as Kelley keeps saving games. The fact that leclerc could not regain the role while Kelley was hurt is telling to me. Change my mind

my thought was the Rangers recently signed Leclerc to a contract extension, and I would think it would make sense that they would not want to be paying him if he's not closing. but these are the contract details..

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20811/jose-leclerc

Contract Terms
2019: $1 million
2020: $2.25 million
2021: $4 million
2022: $4.75 million
2023: $6 million club option
2024: $6.25 million club option

that is not much money in today's game, and I don't think that is too much to be paying someone to set up if they are succeeding at being set up.

15 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

my thought was the Rangers recently signed Leclerc to a contract extension, and I would think it would make sense that they would not want to be paying him if he's not closing. but these are the contract details..

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20811/jose-leclerc

that is not much money in today's game, and I don't think that is too much to be paying someone to set up if they are succeeding at being set up.

It's not huge money but you should count the $2M signing bonus he got paid this year as well.  That effectively puts him at $3M this year; $2M next year; and $4M the following year.  Meaningful but not particularly large dollars.

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the compensation attached to Kimbrel is waived on June 1st.  My guess is teams are waiting for him to be draft pick free, and that we should see the chatter on him pick up in about a weeks time.  Atlanta should be at the front of that line imo.  They have some coin to spare, and are in desperate need of a closer.  They have capable arms in their pen, but they clearly they can't handle the 9th inning.

For anyone wondering why Nicasio was pitching in high leverage last night (sub req):

Meghan Montemurro, The Athletic: Boxed-in bullpen: Depleted unit, usage restrictions and debatable relief decisions cost Phillies, yet again

The key grafs:

Right-handers Héctor Neris, Seranthony Domínguez and Pat Neshek and left-hander Adam Morgan were all unavailable Tuesday night.

“We were strict, going to give those guys a blow,” Kapler said afterward. “They’ve all been working really hard both in the ‘pen and getting up and also in getting into games consistently.”

“I think I’ve been pretty consistent with the approach of aggressively going after wins when we can lock them down,” Kapler added. “I think you always want to balance winning tonight’s baseball game with winning a series and winning the long game.”

image.thumb.png.e44ff47ddd915de17718fac3440bc5aa.png

A breakdown of the Phillies’ bullpen usage over the past week, entering Tuesday’s game versus the Cubs. (via FanGraphs)

A reliever’s usage doesn’t always show up in a box score. When a reliever gets up and begins warming during a game, that is factored into his usage, even if he never enters the game. That’s why Neshek, despite pitching two of the past four days, was unavailable Tuesday night. He warmed up both days in which he did not see game action.

There is a costly ripple effect when relievers aren’t efficient or a manager’s bullpen strategy doesn’t go as planned. The confusion surrounding Neshek’s readiness in the eighth inning of Monday’s win over the Cubs perhaps cost the Phillies a chance to have Domínguez available for the ninth inning Tuesday.

On Tuesday afternoon, Neshek claimed there was a late call to the bullpen the previous night, allowing him to throw only one fastball before he was told the Phillies wanted to bring him into the game to face Albert Almora Jr., after consecutive walks by Domínguez to start the eighth. A second call to the bullpen followed from Kapler in the dugout. Neshek informed bullpen coach Jim Gott he wasn’t ready, and kept preparing to face Addison Russell if he came to the plate with the game in the balance (but Domínguez remained in the game for the entire inning, throwing 32 pitches on the night). Had the pitching change been made after the first two batters in the eighth, Domínguez would have thrown 11 fewer pitches — that may have put him in play to pitch the ninth inning on Tuesday.

Ultimately, the Phillies tried to get Neshek warmed up quickly Monday, but he needed more time.

“You can’t really go in after you’ve thrown one pitch off the mound, so that’s the tough thing,” Neshek said. “We’ve been up a lot.”

According to Elias Sports Bureau, the Phillies’ 10 losses when leading in the 9th inning or later, including Tuesday’s defeat, are the most in baseball since start of last season. Only one other team has more than 7 such losses (Diamondbacks, 9).

That last part settles a question I had in my mind about why the bullpen felt so much worse watching the games than it looks in the stats.  The Phillies have the 3rd best bullpen ERA in the NL, but obviously a lot of that is coming from middle relief.  The 9th inning has been a total disaster, and Kapler needs to do a better job managing it.  The issues with Neshek not being flexible with his routine or usage have been known for quite some time.  The absence of Robertson, Hunter, and Arano isn't Kap's fault, but how he chooses to respond to it is.

At this point, I think serious consideration has to be given to bringing Pivetta and/or Velsaquez up and easing them into higher leverage work to see if they can help take some pressure off of these overmatched late inning guys and give Kapler more to work with. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

For anyone wondering why Nicasio was pitching in high leverage last night (sub req):

Meghan Montemurro, The Athletic: Boxed-in bullpen: Depleted unit, usage restrictions and debatable relief decisions cost Phillies, yet again

The key grafs:

That last part settles a question I had in my mind about why the bullpen felt so much worse watching the games than it looks in the stats.  The Phillies have the 3rd best bullpen ERA in the NL, but obviously a lot of that is coming from middle relief.  The 9th inning has been a total disaster, and Kapler needs to do a better job managing it.  The issues with Neshek not being flexible with his routine or usage have been known for quite some time.  The absence of Robertson, Hunter, and Arano isn't Kap's fault, but how he chooses to respond to it is.

At this point, I think serious consideration has to be given to bringing Pivetta and/or Velsaquez up and easing them into higher leverage work to see if they can help take some pressure off of these overmatched late inning guys and give Kapler more to work with. 

Sure Neris May have been unavailable and those other guys, but who’s fault is that? 

If they pitched Neris every 9th, those numbers would look significantly better- that’s the argument most on here seem to be making. I don’t think throwing more high leverage guys into the mix is going to fix the problem because they have the talent right now it’s just being held back by gabe. -Phillies fan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

For those that didn't see the DUMPSTER FIRE that was the Marlins in the 9th inning tonight for Romo. some by an inch infield single for Goodrum with 1 out. Castellanos rolls over to 3B routinely and Castro with one of the more lazy pathetic errors you'll ever see. Drops a ball that didn't even bounce or was thrown that wild. Couldn't reach down and catch it. error. Then a see & eye groundball single for Miguel Cabrera off the 3B glove. Then a routine pop to LF and the LF literally drops the ball in some of the most pathetic fashion you'll ever see. But somehow they reviewed it and acted like the ball somehow was cut and was being transferred. Very controversial. Gardenhire gets tossed after the review he hated it so much. But the Tigers tie the game and Romo charged with his first "blown save" of the year on 2 unearned runs. I mean really one of the more comical things to see in a blown save. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one that raged over this. It was RIDICULOUS. You neglected to say that the infield single to start the rally was ruled out, and was clearly out, then challenged and overturned to safe on a ticky tack call.

Luckily, in terms of leash, no one can hold this against romo. Mattingly is old school and saw his closer get the job done and the rest of his team fail. So imo nothing to see here for the closer role.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

With R. Elias struggling.  Who should I keep a closer eye on Brennan or Sadzeck...

Edited by Biig_Pressure21
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

With R. Elias struggling.  Who should I keep a closer eye on Brennan or Sadzeck...

Wondering the same thing

3 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Wondering the same thing

Just noticed on the "Closer Monkey" website they have Brennan listed ahead of Sadzeck if that means anything.

18 minutes ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

Hunter Strickland? he got the 1st 2 saves of the season before being hurt. he should be back mid June, and as long as anyone hasn't firmly grabbed the job I would think he would be the top option.

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Hunter Strickland? he got the 1st 2 saves of the season before being hurt. he should be back mid June, and as long as anyone hasn't firmly grabbed the job I would think he would be the top option.

Yea, already have him stashed.  But he won't be ready to go for another 3-4 weeks and he might not start out as the closer right away.  Maybe it's just a situation to avoid.  But looking for cheap saves until then, why I was asking who to eye closer Brennan or Sadzeck.

3 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

Wade Davis to the IL (oblique strain)

Just perfect. Ugh.

3 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

Who's next? 

4 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

Scott Oberg I guess?

What about Estevez? he has the most holds.

Did anyone else watch the Luke Jackson blown save last night?  I'm not all that sure he loses the gig over it...

Terrible bad luck, iffy umping and the braves letting every runner have second uncontested blew this one.  I didn't think Jackson looked that bad.  The crawford single was off a good pitch (not even in the zone) and can someone for the love of god explain how pablo sandoval a) got a bat on that pitch (it was 2 inches off the ground and way off the plate) and b) managed to get an infield single on it?  How does Sandoval *ever* get an infield single without some insane luck?

• Like 2

He has a pretty good strikeout ratio too.

Rotoballer says it could be a committee with Oberg, Estevez, and Shaw.  Most everyone else says it's likely Oberg.     My question is how long do obligue strains take a pitcher to come back from?  Davis hasn't pitched since the 14th.

• Like 2

Oberg has terrible strikeout ratios. he does have a good ERA.

5 minutes ago, LJJr said:

Did anyone else watch the Luke Jackson blown save last night?  I'm not all that sure he loses the gig over it...

Terrible bad luck, iffy umping and the braves letting every runner have second uncontested blew this one.  I didn't think Jackson looked that bad.  The crawford single was off a good pitch (not even in the zone) and can someone for the love of god explain how pablo sandoval a) got a bat on that pitch (it was 2 inches off the ground and way off the plate) and b) managed to get an infield single on it?  How does Sandoval *ever* get an infield single without some insane luck?

This. Everyone saying he's toast clearly didn't watch it.