oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

2 hours ago, Gryfter said:

The guy JUST posted why, LOL

Turn him into the west coast Hader I say.  I'll gladly share my saves with Robles' owners should that happen...

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Turn him into the west coast Hader I say.  I'll gladly share my saves with Robles' owners should that happen...

Not that there have been many save chances, but yea, agreed.

Edited by Gryfter

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Hangry Bird said:

you are a hall of famer asking if ian kennedy is the closer? apologize to yourself, KC is royally FUBAR this year

In case you hadn't noticed Kennedy has been a top tier reliever this year thus far.   Does he keep it up?  Who knows but his numbers are pretty filthy at the moment.   Saying FUBAR is FUBAR...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 3

Anyone still holding Barnes just in case? I mean his numbers are good even if he only ends the year with a handful of saves so there is that.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

question is for how long....a week, 2 weeks? More? Up to Leclerc and how he responds.

Managers always say it's temporary whenever they remove someone from the closer's role because they don't want to totally destroy the pitcher's confidence.  How many times does the ex-closer actually get his closer's role back that year for the same team?

I can't think of a single occurrence over the last 3 years.  I know in 2017, Blake Treinen, after totally flaming out as the Nats closer, got another opportunity to close again that year after he was traded to Oakland but that was not for the same team.

Edited by FootballFan101

14 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Managers always say it's temporary whenever they remove someone from the closer's role because they don't want to totally destroy the pitcher's confidence.  How many times does the ex-closer actually get his closer's role back that year for the same team?

I can't think of a single occurrence over the last 3 years.  I know in 2017, Blake Treinen, after totally flaming out as the Nats closer, got another opportunity to close again that year after he was traded to Oakland but that was not for the same team.

I suppose not a lot but there's been a few over the last couple of seasons that come to mind.  I recall as I owned them all.  Vasquez went through a real rough patch last year and was removed for a week or two.  He came back strong after those early season issues.   Knebel was awful the first half and came back dominating the last 2 months.  He didn't get the job back full though and was in a share time with Hader and Jeffries.   And the year before Edwin Diaz had a stretch where he struggled and was talk about being removed for awhile.  Can't recall if he was or not...    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So a guy in my league dropped Will Smith to pick up Shawn Kelley. Something I'm missing here with Smith?

Sort of. Melanon will close soon based on Bochys rhetoric 

1 minute ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

So a guy in my league dropped Will Smith to pick up Shawn Kelley. Something I'm missing here with Smith?

That would be a mistake in my view. I suppose he might think Leclerc is done this year and Smith may get dealt but even if true this would be quite premature for a guy like Kelley.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

That would be a mistake in my view. I suppose he might think Leclerc is done this year and Smith may get dealt but even if true this would be quite premature for a guy like Kelley.

Smith is a pretty good trade chip right now.  Dropping is ill advised.  

4 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Edwin Diaz went through pretty much the exact same scenario in 2017. He was struggling early on and was removed from the closer role for like a week and quickly took back over. Ended the season with 33 saves.

Similarly to Diaz the Rangers want Leclerc to be the closer - why they paid him all that money. IMO he is going to be given every opportunity to regain his confidence and retake the role.

• Like 1

I’m not mad at kapler last night he used his best reliever in the highest leverage spot - bases loaded tie game - and he got out of the jam in 1 pitch. And the rest of the idiot parade all gave up runs afterwards to further drive the point home 

Nothing changed for me last night. Neris is still man 1 in that pen . 

• Like 2

Also on romo I know he gave up the hr but that was a veteran save. 

Young closers in 3 run games often nibble and end up walking the bases loaded or similar . Romo was just like ok I’m gonna be aggressive come hit it, and sure Santana did hit it but the game still ended fast...

6 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Anyone still holding Barnes just in case? I mean his numbers are good even if he only ends the year with a handful of saves so there is that.

He was surprisingly dropped in a competitive league I'm in and I grabbed him. Perfect for pairing with someone like Pressly for about 130 inning of elite K/9 and ratios, with some wins and saves kicked in. Below is where this combo is season to date:

Pitcher
IP
W
L
SV
K
ERA
WHIP
Barnes + Pressly 24.1 3 0 4 36 1.125 0.62
  • Like 1

Luke Jackson pitching with ATL down 9.
Minter still has a decent leash.

• Like 1

Jeffress pitched another low leverage spot but had an easy 1-2-3 inning. 

10 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Jeffress pitched another low leverage spot but had an easy 1-2-3 inning. 

It's been mostly 89-92 again, but more than a few 94s mixed in too. His curve is looking very sharp, and the split as well.

Pitched another 1-2-3 in the 8th inning now.

• Like 1

Wily Peralta gives up 2 run HR in top of the 9th of a 1-1 game.  Typical closer spot, but he's been pretty awful lately.    Even in blood thirsty saves leagues, not sure it's worth holding onto him much longer.   

Just wanted to double check on here because I want to grab a guy (not bench coaching it, just wanna make sure that others benefit from this too).   Safe to say that Alvarado is NOT the guy in the 9th right?  He's a hard drop because hes such a good pitcher.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Just wanted to double check on here because I want to grab a guy (not bench coaching it, just wanna make sure that others benefit from this too).   Safe to say that Alvarado is NOT the guy in the 9th right?  He's a hard drop because hes such a good pitcher.

Who knows at this point...

I'd like to roster one of their many closers, because they are winning, but which?

Pagan/Castillo/Alvarado

Seems like Alvarado is being used in more high leverage situations, Pagan seemed to be on the up and Castillo now literally just closed things out.

Or I might just jump on maybe Shawn Kelley temporarily.

9 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

I’m in a holds league so he pretty valuable there, but his numbers are really good and more save opportunities could easily happen.  

30 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Not safe at all to say. Keep Alvarado. Best talent regardless.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Seems like Alvarado is now third in the pecking order. Will still probably get a couple saves a month but not unreasonable to consider moving on in shallow leagues.

So disgusting because he'd be a top 5 closer in his situation if they simply left him alone as "the guy."

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Seems like Alvarado is now third in the pecking order. Will still probably get a couple saves a month but not unreasonable to consider moving on in shallow leagues.

So disgusting because he'd be a top 5 closer in his situation if they simply left him alone as "the guy."

Castillo is nearly as good and preferred against righties it seems

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Castillo is nearly as good and preferred against righties it seems

Castillo came in to face Dozier, Soler and Gutirrez ... 3 RHB