oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Closer Monkey and Fangraphs have Oberg as the next man up. Pitcher List says Estevez. I just grabbed the former for my team...

Has anyone watched the Rockies this year? anyone ever see any of these guys pitch. I don't know how they tend to handle their late inning staff. I guess Im looking for the eyeball test.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Newcombs stats look very meh from k rate to walk rate etc

ATL bullpen turning into SEA bullpen where you just stay away (strickland will be the closer when back IMO and i still think ATL signs kimbrel)

This post is a little disingenuous, as his K & BB rate are inflated by his appearances as a starter, most notably his implosion on 4/13.

Since being converted to a RP, he's walked no one and has K'd 8 in 8.1 IP.

Edit:  Sorry, should have read the rest of the thread.  I see this has been mentioned already.

Edited by 89Topps

Are we gonna get Leclerc in the 8th or 9th today?

In looking at their numbers, Estevez is the best arm in that pen.  29 to 8 K/BB in 22 IP. 

Oberg has 13 to 11 k/bb ratio over 20 IP. 

Shaw 19/13 in 29 ip.

I wouldn't count out Jake McGee being the man either.  He has closing experience as well. 

Jurado in to pitch the 8th for Texas. Hoping leclerc pitches the 9th!

Just now, dicka24 said:

In looking at their numbers, Estevez is the best arm in that pen.  29 to 8 K/BB in 22 IP. 

Oberg has 13 to 11 k/bb ratio over 20 IP. 

Shaw 19/13 in 29 ip.

I wouldn't count out Jake McGee being the man either.  He has closing experience as well. 

First thing I look at with any Rockies pitcher is GB rate. None of these guys are over 50% and all are likely to implode, but gun to my head, I'd go with the K/9 guy in Estevez 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biig_Pressure21 said:

Yea, already have him stashed.  But he won't be ready to go for another 3-4 weeks and he might not start out as the closer right away.  Maybe it's just a situation to avoid.  But looking for cheap saves until then, why I was asking who to eye closer Brennan or Sadzeck.

It's fine.  The M's won't win another game till then anyway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

First thing I look at with any Rockies pitcher is GB rate. None of these guys are over 50% and all are likely to implode, but gun to my head, I'd go with the K/9 guy in Estevez 

Well reasoned, and totally logical, which is why I tend to agree. 

Estevez has the experience 

It seems like some oblique injuries can linger for a while.

13 minutes ago, Helms said:

Jurado in to pitch the 8th for Texas. Hoping leclerc pitches the 9th!

Kelley was warming in the 8th.

I'm guessing Being that Estevez has the most holds and the best K/9 rate he will get the first shot. If he can hold it he could be a nice midseason pickup if Davis is out for a month or longer. Having Estevez wont hurt your strikeout numbers even if doesn't end up getting the job while it all gets figured out. Oberg would defiantly hurt your strikeout numbers, especially if you hold him, and he ends up not getting the job.  

Just now, Ace_King said:

Chris Martin's brief run as closer done?

Where you been?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RIP Martin long ago and RIP Leclerc's chances. Kelley nailed it down.

• Haha 2

No one is going to "win" the closer job over Leclerc IMO...(Kelly, Martin, etc.)

Manager is sticking with what he said and wants to make sure Leclerc remains consistent. The other day he said Leclerc is "very close" to taking the job back....that didn't mean "by Wednesday".

Give it a few days folks. The last thing they want is rush him back into closer and have another meltdown...another solid appearance or 2 and I think Leclerc will be back in the saddle.

• Like 3

Leclerc rising, anyone in the Rockies bullpen has a big question mark next to them. Heck, even Davis did for part of last year. Thanks, Coors. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

Guess we should all grab Jiminez before the Colorado mess.

That career ERA though... yuck.