oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Says who? 

• Haha 1

Oberg will be the Rockies' primary closer while Wade Davis (oblique) is on the injured list, Nick Groke of The Athletic reports.

ANALYSIS

This wouldn't have been a surprise before the season, but it is somewhat surprising given how Oberg has pitched of late. He has only allowed two runs over his last 12 appearances (11.2 innings), but he has six walks and just three strikeouts over that stretch. Generating weak contact has been Oberg's top skill in the big leagues, but his 47.4 percent groundball rate is easily the worst mark of his career and the first time that number has been below 50 percent. Davis' oblique strain is not considered severe, so he should return sometime in June.

11 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Says who? 

Official word from their manager.

• Like 1

For all Bud Black’s faults (there are many) I respect a manager who just comes out and names a guy when their primary closer goes down.

• Like 1

Scooped up Newcombe a few days back but this latest talk out of Detroit makes me want to drop him for Jimenez right now..lol

17 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

A chatter usually leads to something...Greene is a FA after this season 

Can we just rename this thread the "Shane Greene trade chatter" thread?

28 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Scooped up Newcombe a few days back but this latest talk out of Detroit makes me want to drop him for Jimenez right now..lol

Also worth noting that while he’s been the Closer-in-waiting the last couple years, he hasn’t proven to be very good yet.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

In leagues like mine where SVHD is one cat, Newcomb with SP eligibility is a huge bonus. 

Kirby Yates last 3 days:

3 saves

6 K's

0.00 WHIP

0.00 ERA

20/20 on the year in save oppurtunities.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CJT said:

Has anyone watched the Rockies this year? anyone ever see any of these guys pitch. I don't know how they tend to handle their late inning staff. I guess Im looking for the eyeball test.

Estevez is good. 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, smeeze said:

For all Bud Black’s faults (there are many) I respect a manager who just comes out and names a guy when their primary closer goes down.

Too bad he just picked the wrong dude. 

Edited by 96mnc

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Kirby Yates last 3 days:

3 saves

6 K's

0.00 WHIP

0.00 ERA

20/20 on the year in save oppurtunities.

Even better. 

He's recorded 19 of his last 24 outs via strike out.

19/24.

It was 18/21 entering today. 

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Where you been?

At Closer Monkey, where he is still listed as the head of the committee, Leclerc and Kelley notwithstanding.

Edited by Ace_King

5 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

At Closer Monkey, where he is still listed as the head of the committee, Leclerc and Kelley notwithstanding.

I trust this thread so much more than closermonkey now a days. I think I’ve checked their site once in the last month. 

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I trust this thread so much more than closermonkey now a days. I think I’ve checked their site once in the last month. 

I find it absolutely hilarious that people still treat CM like it's some sort of gospel.  "CM says this" and "CM says that".  Lolz.  At one point, several years ago, it was the best closer resource on the web.  Not anymore...not even close.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

This guy is wayyyyyy behind on things..lol

17 minutes ago, CAT said:

I find it absolutely hilarious that people still treat CM like it's some sort of gospel.  "CM says this" and "CM says that".  Lolz.  At one point, several years ago, it was the best closer resource on the web.  Not anymore...not even close.

EXACTLY

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I check both. I was wondering if CM had some basis for keeping Martin at the top of the committee, despite Kelley returning and Lecrelc pitching well. 

CM's primary value comes from 1) being a quick one stop recap of closer relevant activity from the previous day 2) alerts on closer changes 3) the vulture save watch (helpful in a very deep league where those extra saves over a season matter). Gospel? No. Best source? No--this thread has the benefit of insights from a multitude of posters who in turn are relying on many different media sources. But CM is a good, valuable site nonetheless IMO.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, CAT said:

There are some great sites (pitcherlist/fangraph) that are much better of course.   

Frankly though, the rotoworld forum (not rotoworld) here with this "closer" thread, as well as the "middle reliever", and sometimes the "relievers with SP" designation threads are as good a place to go as anywhere.   Here you get daily discussions with various perspectives, stat deciphering and links from a number of insightful managers.  You don't get that anywhere else (maybe reddit a bit).  Comments are challenged or agreed upon so you are afforded insight that non-readers do not get.  You just have to figure out what's what for yourself.  

It has caused me to make a few mistakes (mainly speculating too far ahead of the game) but has me two steps ahead of my league mates when it comes to this stuff.  Pat on the back for everyone that is on here...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

There are some great sites (pitcherlist/fangraph) that are much better of course.   

Frankly though, the rotoworld forum (not rotoworld) here with this "closer" thread, as well as the "middle reliever", and sometimes the "relievers with SP" designation threads are as good a place to go as anywhere.   Here you get daily discussions with various perspectives, stat deciphering and links from a number of insightful managers.  You don't get that anywhere else (maybe reddit a bit).  Comments are challenged or agreed upon so you are afforded insight that non-readers do not get.  You just have to figure out what's what for yourself.  

It has caused me to make a few mistakes (mainly speculating too far ahead of the game) but has me two steps ahead of my league mates when it comes to this stuff.  Pat on the back for everyone that is on here...

In all fairness - this thread is an acquired taste. I imagine most people who like CM or other similar sites like seeing a simple list, rather than wading through multiple pages of opinion. It's not uncommon for me to be 6-10 pages behind and I come here every day.

I want to make it clear I believe this thread to be the superior choice.

I find what's most beneficial in addition to this thread is conduct your own research and then only look back through the last couple pages of this thread if you're doing your diligence. that's a good balance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I check both. I was wondering if CM had some basis for keeping Martin at the top of the committee, despite Kelley returning and Lecrelc pitching well. 

CM's primary value comes from 1) being a quick one stop recap of closer relevant activity from the previous day 2) alerts on closer changes 3) the vulture save watch (helpful in a very deep league where those extra saves over a season matter). Gospel? No. Best source? No--this thread has the benefit of insights from a multitude of posters who in turn are relying on many different media sources. But CM is a good, valuable site nonetheless IMO.

Personally the only value I find in CM is the vulture saves. To your point about CM being a one stop quick glance at yesterday’s activity I find that they often don’t post that until after 9-10am ET which in most leagues is way too late for you to make a necessary add. I’d rather come to this thread at 6:30am when my alarm goes off and spend 5 mins reading through the latest news and opinions of many. As far as alerts of closer changes...refer to my last point about them not being the most timely source of information. This thread may have a lot of noise in it but it’s very easy to sift through it to find the important stuff like closer changes and injuries faster than anything outside of following all the beat writers on Twitter.