oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Props to you guys for posting some positive and uplifting comments.  There’s certainly enough negativity on these boards as it is.

4 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I check both. I was wondering if CM had some basis for keeping Martin at the top of the committee, despite Kelley returning and Lecrelc pitching well. 

CM's primary value comes from 1) being a quick one stop recap of closer relevant activity from the previous day 2) alerts on closer changes 3) the vulture save watch (helpful in a very deep league where those extra saves over a season matter). Gospel? No. Best source? No--this thread has the benefit of insights from a multitude of posters who in turn are relying on many different media sources. But CM is a good, valuable site nonetheless IMO.

True, the vulture watch is a great feature of CM. Their hierarchies might not be the most agreeable at times, but they are also the only source that updates their grid on the fly. For example the Davis injury today was already accounted for minutes after it was announced. Fangraphs updates theirs once every morning and Pitcher List once every Tuesday. All in all, take everything with a grain of salt.

Rotoprofessor is a great source of daily closer info too. 

Doolittle having a meltdown. Maybe he wants to get traded to a contender. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

He’s stuck with a manager who, quite simply, should not be a MLB manager.  And has nothing to work with on top of it thanks to Rizzo’s ineptitude and the Lerners’ parsimony

• Like 1

Looks like Brasier is down the totem pole quite a bit.

14 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Walden closing and blowing.

This one's on me guys.  Picked him up this week and tuned in right as the bottom of the 9th started.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Looks like Brasier is down the totem pole quite a bit.

Which is weird since he hasn't been that bad really.  One of his blown saves this season was because of Devers committing an awful error, and his control this month hasn't been any worse than some of their other relievers.  Back-to-back 2 walk appearances brought his total to only 6, so likely a fluke there.  I'm actually surprised he's suddenly become an afterthought, but given how poorly others pitched tonight, he might be back in the conversation soon.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Which is weird since he hasn't been that bad really.  One of his blown saves this season was because of Devers committing an awful error, and his control this month hasn't been any worse than some of their other relievers.  Back-to-back 2 walk appearances brought his total to only 6, so likely a fluke there.  I'm actually surprised he's suddenly become an afterthought, but given how poorly others pitched tonight, he might be back in the conversation soon.

He's in line for the win now if they can hold it, but he did have 4 out of 6 bad outings in May before tonight, I still view it as a 60/40 Barnes/Brasier with him getting a pressure break in these latest outings

Edited by pbjfb

He gave up a walkoff bomb to Nicky Delmonico in that "save he blew because of a Devers error." You don't get a pass just because a player made an error behind you. 

Barnes is far and away their best reliever. They'll continue to use him in high leverage spots so that leaves scraps for guys like Workman, Brasier, Walden... I don't really see any of those three separating themselves as a clear second option behind Barnes so it's probably going to be several saves spread amongst the 3 of them and Barnes with 15-20 if I had to guess. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Safe to say that we're all rooting for Kelley to blow this, right? 

No "we" are not.

17 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He gave up a walkoff bomb to Nicky Delmonico in that "save he blew because of a Devers error." You don't get a pass just because a player made an error behind you. 

Barnes is far and away their best reliever. They'll continue to use him in high leverage spots so that leaves scraps for guys like Workman, Brasier, Walden... I don't really see any of those three separating themselves as a clear second option behind Barnes so it's probably going to be several saves spread amongst the 3 of them and Barnes with 15-20 if I had to guess. 

Barnes gave up a homer to give up the lead and tie the game tonight.  Sox came back and went ahead in extra innings (Mookie solo homere) and Marcus Walden then gave up a homer to tie the game again.  Brasier then in and held the tie with a good strong inning.  Now Chavis has homered and Hembree was last man out there basically.  He came in and got the save.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No "we" are not.

Barnes gave up a homer to give up the lead and tie the game tonight.  Sox came back and went ahead in extra innings (Mookie solo homere) and Marcus Walden then gave up a homer to tie the game again.  Brasier then in and held the tie with a good strong inning.  Now Chavis has homered and Hembree was last man out there basically.  He came in and got the save.

No, he didn't. It was 4-2 when he gave up the homer. He gave up a solo shot to make it 4-3. 

Anyways, Barnes has been otherworldly good all season. 

• Thanks 1

Romo with a clean 1-2-3 save with a K. Good to see after last night's mess. 8/9 in ops this year and is another victory of this thread IMO. i got great value on him with your (our) collective help.

3 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

This wasn't on Doolittle.  Martinez didn't give him enough time to warm up. 

Every manager in the nl east is garbage. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This wasn't on Doolittle.  Martinez didn't give him enough time to warm up. 

Every manager in the nl east is garbage. 

I would add too much usage in non-save or extended-save situations.  It’s sad.  Their pen is utter garbage outside Doolittle.

51 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Romo with a clean 1-2-3 save with a K. Good to see after last night's mess. 8/9 in ops this year and is another victory of this thread IMO. i got great value on him with your (our) collective help.

I think you are in one of the few formats where Romo just might be a joy to own.  When I read "NL only" and "no runs" it all made sense...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I would add too much usage in non-save or extended-save situations.  It’s sad.  Their pen is utter garbage outside Doolittle.

This was definitely a team that needed Kimbrel all off-season and just sat on their hands. Some team is going to end up missing the playoffs because they didn't want to open up their wallet and Washington looks like the early frontrunner.

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

This was definitely a team that needed Kimbrel all off-season and just sat on their hands. Some team is going to end up missing the playoffs because they didn't want to open up their wallet and Washington looks like the early frontrunner.

Oh well, they are a young team and at the beginning of what could be a great run. No need to get hasty and blow your load too early.

• Like 1

After Luke Jackson blew the save for the Braves on Saturday against the Brewers, it was Sean Newcomb who got the call in the ninth inning on Monday against the Giants and he secured his first save of the season. On Tuesday, it was Jackson who got the call again, and he proceeded to blow a 3-1 lead against San Francisco. While Jackson has saved six games over the past month and sports a dominant 11.6 K/9, his leash remains relatively short, especially after two straight blown saves, so it's a situation to monitor in the coming days.

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

The Nats have a 197 MIL payroll. Getting Kimbrel pushes them way over the luxury tax. If you changed the name to the Braves and not the Nationals. Then this rant makes sense. 

The Nationals offense is the main reason for this disappointing season so far. Having Kimbel wouldn't get them a winning a record.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

No team would be stupid enough to sign Kimbrell for what Kimbrell was demanding this off season.  Not even the Nats.

6 or even 5 years of a mega-contract for a declining arm like Kimbrell's would be suicide for a team tying up money needed for years that could be used for good players.  Only Mariano Rivera is worthy for a contract like Kimbrell was demanding and Kimbrell, especially declining Kimbrell, is not worthy to carry Mariano's shoes.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

Safe to drop leclerc in non hold leagues...Kelley has to have a long leash now as he has been nails

• Haha 2

In all fairness, LeClerc has been too. The month of May for LeClerc...16 K/9 with a 0.56 WHIP

6 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Safe to drop leclerc in non hold leagues...Kelley has to have a long leash now as he has been nails

not even close