oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

31 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No team would be stupid enough to sign Kimbrell for what Kimbrell was demanding this off season.  Not even the Nats.

6 or even 5 years of a mega-contract for a declining arm like Kimbrell's would be suicide for a team tying up money needed for years that could be used for good players.  Only Mariano Rivera is worthy for a contract like Kimbrell was demanding and Kimbrell, especially declining Kimbrell, is not worthy to carry Mariano's shoes.

What about Dennis Esk? 

Just now, urban2014 said:

What about Dennis Esk? Both blew their teams chances in the world series.  Both were great closers

3 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

What about Dennis Esk? 

Esk?  You mean Eck?  He was a starter then was the first closer ever so no one would know what to pay him.  People didn't get mega-contracts back then anyway so that is kind of a moot point.

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Esk?  You mean Eck?  He was a starter then was the first closer ever so no one would know what to pay him.  People didn't get mega-contracts back then anyway so that is kind of a moot point.

Eh no Rivera debuted as a starting pitcher 

21 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

not even close

How many saves does Kelley have to string together to be considered “safe”?

31 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Its really more about what LeClerc does than Kelley imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Eh no Rivera debuted as a starting pitcher 

Rivera was not the first closer ever so I don't know what you are saying.  A lot of closers were starters first.  My point was Eck was the first closer -- LaRussa invented the concept just because of Eck -- so no one really understood the position back then and contracts were way way less as well.  

But this is pretty much off topic.  I was just saying Kimbrell isn't up in Rivera territory and since Rivera aged very very well without losing too much he is the only closer worth a big contract from my pov.  Kimbrell's days in the sun are diminishing and quickly so 6 years or even 5 is way too many years and the money he wanted was insane as well.

Add in the diminished importance of having a single closer and the resurrection of the fireman and Kimbrel was way WAY crazy in his demands.  He has to hope for some team having an unrealistic panic attack to get even half of what he was demanding off season after June 2nd.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Leclerc is moving closer to the 9th inning while Kelley has been shaky in getting two saves this week. I think I'd want to hold Leclerc at least a couple more weeks.

18 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Add in the diminished importance of having a single closer and the resurrection of the fireman and Kimbrel was way WAY crazy in his demands.  

This. The MLB closer is going the way of the NFL workhorse RB. 

• Like 4

The more I look at Oberg the more I think everyone should pay attention to the Rockies next save opportunity and rush to pick up Estevez as soon as Oberg implodes.  3 K's with 6 walks in his last 12 appearances?  I'm not sure he's going to last long in that role.

I think someone said Greene is a FA at seasons end.  He's not.  He's under control thru 2020, or next season.  So whomever trades for him gets him for a season and a half.  Which means they could offer him the qualifier next season and get a draft pick (if he pitches well enough to deserve it). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

The more I look at Oberg the more I think everyone should pay attention to the Rockies next save opportunity and rush to pick up Estevez as soon as Oberg implodes.  3 K's with 6 walks in his last 12 appearances?  I'm not sure he's going to last long in that role.

I guess if you're in a league where you need to stash a guy, that's not a bad idea. But I wouldn't hold my breath since 1. The manager actually announced Oberg as the closer, which means he probably has an extra leash of a couple blown saves over a guy who happens to get the first chance in a committee, and 2. SAGNOF. Closers are often successful, especially in the short term, even with mediocre stuff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rivera was not the first closer ever so I don't know what you are saying.  A lot of closers were starters first.  My point was Eck was the first closer -- LaRussa invented the concept just because of Eck -- so no one really understood the position back then and contracts were way way less as well.  

Maybe no one labeled them as closers until Eck, but he was not the first closer ever. The concept was known. Eck just popularized it. Gossage had 270 saves from 1975 to 1986, and he only led the league in saves three times during those 12 seasons. And in 1976, Gossage was a SP. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Thing is Oberg was really good last year. He was excellent at repressing HRs/not giving up big hits with worm killing FB along with decent whiff ability. Don't know what's going on this year with his command going totally backwards. Having all the numbers look awful for him. Velocity down from last year too.

A ticking time bomb? or he could right the ship and find his 2018 form again. I'm leaning towards him hiding an injury. So yeah, this could be a quick ringer

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

K's are nice, but outs in general are more important.

Oberg has good GB%, low FB%, which is good in Colorado. he also gives up a lot of soft contact.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Maybe no one labeled them as closers until Eck, but he was not the first closer ever. The concept was known. Eck just popularized it. Gossage had 270 saves from 1975 to 1986, and he only led the league in saves three times during those 12 seasons. And in 1976, Gossage was a SP. 

Good point.

I think if we had to pick one guy to call THE ORIGINAL closer we'd pretty much have to go with Rollie Fingers, who basically spent his entire career as a relief pitcher and racked up 300+ saves starting in 1969, the first year MLB used saves as an official stat.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

37 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Good point.

I think if we had to pick one guy to call THE ORIGINAL closer we'd pretty much have to go with Rollie Fingers, who basically spent his entire career as a relief pitcher and racked up 300+ saves starting in 1969, the first year MLB used saves as an official stat.

Gossage and Fingers were different animals than today's modern day closer. 2,3,4 inning appearances were the norm for these guys and they entered the game in any given inning. Today's closers generally only enter in the 9th and pitch no more than an inning.

Edited by fletch44

^So Josh Hader is actually old school then. All he needs is some distinctive facial hair to finish the look.

Thanks Yankees bullpen!!! 😡 

picked up Estevez this morning ... ragged dropped him just now as he just cost me 6 frckin roto points ... sonofab!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jb_power said:

picked up Estevez this morning ... ragged dropped him just now as he just cost me 6 frckin roto points ... sonofab!

LOLSAGNOF!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jb_power said:

4 ER, guess that settles any talk of this guy being the darkhorse while WD is out. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So much for Greene getting traded soon. Gave up 5 runs to the Marlins. Some unearned because of an error.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

So much for Greene getting traded soon. Gave up 5 runs to the Marlins. Some unearned because of an error.

All unearned. And he is getting traded soon.

Off my fantasy team...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

his day today has NOTHING to do with his trade value or if he will be "traded soon"

• Haha 1