oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

For being the closer, they sure bring in Elias in a lot of non-save situations, last 2 they were losing, and he gives up 3 base runners and 2 runs each. The one before, they were up by 4, and he gives up 3 base runners and a run.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dilly3307 said:

Why didn’t they just leave Pena in?!

This.  That didn't make any sense at all. 

4 hours ago, cyberer said:

It's possible, but that just feels like a lateral move for the organization. I think it's just as likely that all 3 of dyson, melancon and smith get traded and they go to the future. 

No team is taking melancon and his awful contract.  He's not even that good. 

However, Smith, Dyson, Watson can all help contenders.  Smith should be the closer on any of Boston, CHC, Atlanta.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

This.  That didn't make any sense at all. 

Why? Pena struck out the side, can certainly pitch multiple innings. It’s not like you brought in Mariano Rivera to close the game out. They brought in Just Anderson, not exactly a sure thing. Not saying you’re wrong but what’s the big deal?

8 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Why? Pena struck out the side, can certainly pitch multiple innings. It’s not like you brought in Mariano Rivera to close the game out. They brought in Just Anderson, not exactly a sure thing. Not saying you’re wrong but what’s the big deal?

I agreed with you that it DIDN'T make sense to pull Pena and not let him pitch the 9th.

But Ausmus is a moron.   Ask any Tiger fan. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

I agreed with you that it DIDN'T make sense to pull Pena and not let him pitch the 9th.

But Ausmus is a moron.   Ask any Tiger fan. 

Ha, sorry. I misunderstood.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

For being the closer, they sure bring in Elias in a lot of non-save situations, last 2 they were losing, and he gives up 3 base runners and 2 runs each. The one before, they were up by 4, and he gives up 3 base runners and a run.

No Lie, this might be the funniest post I’ve read in a few years. I actually belly laughed for like an hour after reading this!! 😂🤣😂🤣

disclaimer: sorry if original post wasn’t intended to be funny 🤨

Edited by Fantasy_Goat
  • Like 1

Hicks removed after giving up 2 runs (3-2) and no outs. Is Carlos Martinez first on the depth chart?

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Hicks removed after giving up 2 runs (3-2) and no outs. Is Carlos Martinez first on the depth chart?

Miller? 

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Cardinals have 3 legit closer options after Hicks 

Just now, phisouza33 said:

How long is Hicks leash?

Decent 

Posted (edited)

Decent leash but this is the 2nd blowup in 3 games...another one next game and he’s in the hot seat..and 1-2 after that he’s gone 

Season ERA above 4...not pretty for the closer of one of the best bullpens 

Edited by terminator10

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Miller? 

He couldn't finish it either, so I'm guessing not him either.  Still, I don't think Hicks is getting removed yet.

Martinez was used as the setup man tonight, if that means anything.

Edited by KilloWertz

He can blow a couple more, but they have multiple options for sure that can close, so he better right the ship soon

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

No team is taking melancon and his awful contract.  He's not even that good. 

However, Smith, Dyson, Watson can all help contenders.  Smith should be the closer on any of Boston, CHC, Atlanta.

This.  Smith will be a hot trade chip for them.

8 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He couldn't finish it either, so I'm guessing not him either.  Still, I don't think Hicks is getting removed yet.

Martinez was used as the setup man tonight, if that means anything.

To be fair he was put in a situation with zero outs and 2 guys on base

The cardinals best option for Cmart is to let him close if he is not starting. It is stupid to pay someone 10 million a year to setup Hicks. Make him a starter or closer and give your best pitcher a chance to help the team

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Could C Mart do a J Smoltz imitation and go from really good SP to top 3 dominate Closer?

If his shoulder is right he definitely could be a good closer - as he demonstrated last year.   Doesn't have to be a top 3 (Chapman, Osuna, Yates, Vasquez, Diaz, Hader etc. would all have something to say about that) to be worthwhile either.   Hicks doesn't (yet) deserve to just lose the role but personally I like him a lot in a fireman role for the Cards...

Edited by knuckleheads

Bring on CMart!!!

(bitter Flaherty owner 😡)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Is he in line to receive one of the 6 save chances the Royals will have rest of season?

We are close to one third of the way thru the season. At their current pace the Royals could win another 36-37 games. Its very possible he could save 5 or more of those games. Don't know about your leagues but I could use 5 more saves for just about no cost .

Anyone know when Strop is back ? I just see reports the last few days of "soon". Thinking it should be this series.

4 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Anyone know when Strop is back ? I just see reports the last few days of "soon". Thinking it should be this series.

He's making a rehab appearance tomorrow.

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Monday that Mychal Givens will work in lower-leverage situations for a while.

Givens has struggled mightily over his last four appearances and took his third blown save of the season on Sunday afternoon against the Rockies. He holds a 5.56 ERA and 1.50 WHIP in 22 2/3 total innings. As to who might get the next save opportunity for Baltimore, Hyde said, "Whoever -- we’ll figure it out." Richard Bleier, Paul Fry, Miguel Castro, and Shawn Armstrong could all be in the mix.

Fry has the better numbers of the names mentioned. he is also LHP.

• Like 1