oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Eventually the Royals will figure it out and realize Kennedy is their only good arm in the bullpen.

3 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Eventually the Royals will figure it out and realize Kennedy is their only good arm in the bullpen.

That’s sad for KC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I suppose not a lot but there's been a few over the last couple of seasons that come to mind.  I recall as I owned them all.  Vasquez went through a real rough patch last year and was removed for a week or two.  He came back strong after those early season issues.   Knebel was awful the first half and came back dominating the last 2 months.  He didn't get the job back full though and was in a share time with Hader and Jeffries.   And the year before Edwin Diaz had a stretch where he struggled and was talk about being removed for awhile.  Can't recall if he was or not...    

Good call with Diaz, I forgot about him.  I know Vasquez struggled early last year, but did he actually ever lose the closer's role?  I can find no article saying did, and he got all but two of the Pirates team saves last year.

32 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Castillo came in to face Dozier, Soler and Gutirrez ... 3 RHB

That was my point

Studly 4 out save for Dr Doolittle

Blown save for Brasier, although who knows how he pitches to the last guy if Devers didn't botch a routine groundball again...

• Like 1

Oh f--- off Brasier. Gave up a 3 run bomb to blow the save. 

Just now, Helms said:

Oh f--- off Brasier. Gave up a 3 run bomb to blow the save. 

While it's embarrassing to give it up to Delmonico, they really need to start doing a defensive replacement for Devers instead of Chavis...

• Like 2

Boston should give Barnes some more save chances his k rate has been ridiculously so far.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sjs1890 said:

Boston should give Barnes some more save chances his k rate has been ridiculously so far.

Barnes could close on any team, but I don't really fault them for what they have been doing.  It's really worked.  Brasier deserves a pass on this one, even if giving up a HR to a guy who's been an absolute bum this season is embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Helms said:

I owned Leclerc this week til he blew up again and now Brasier. I’m just hating closers right now don’t mind me lol 

It's all good.  Like I said right above this, Brasier deserves a pass for this one.  Unfortunately, we're still saddled with awful ratios regardless of where a decent amount of the blame lies.

Luke Bard looks very good. Any chance he gets in the saves mix for LA?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MoonyGray said:

That’s Devers’ fault. Wow. 

Score 4:3
"Brasier pitching.
Moncada struck out.
Rondón safe at first on fielding error by third baseman Devers.
Alonso singled to left, Rondón to third.
Delmonico homered to center on a 0-1 count, Rondón scored, Alonso scored."

How many out did Brasier made?
He lost the game.
Let's blame Devers.
LOL

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1

Robles looked good too bad it wasn’t a save. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

Luke Bard looks very good. Any chance he gets in the saves mix for LA?

Sure, if he keeps looking great and the other guys blow up or get hurt. That's unlikely though.

Speaking of Robles, he was warming up to pitch in the eighth in a budding save situation, but the bullpen got out of it. He started the ninth with a 4 run lead and struck out two with a ground out in between.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, JCD said:

Score 4:3
"Brasier pitching.
Moncada struck out.
Rondón safe at first on fielding error by third baseman Devers.
Alonso singled to left, Rondón to third.
Delmonico homered to center on a 0-1 count, Rondón scored, Alonso scored."

How many out did Brasier made?
He lost the game.
Let's blame Devers.
LOL

After Devers' error, he was pitching to contact to get the double play with a runner on 1st and 1 out.

If Devers gets that out, he can throw whatever he wants at Alonso with 2 outs and nobody on.

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, street sharks said:

After Devers' error, he was pitching to contact to get the double play with a runner on 1st and 1 out.

If Devers gets that out, he can throw whatever he wants at Alonso with 2 outs and nobody on.

With a runner on first you aren't pitching to contact to get the double play.  As it still takes at least a hit to score from there all you are searching for is an out in any manner possible.  Yes Devers' error changed the complexion of the inning but it's not like it was a death blow to the game.   The pitcher who served up the home run gave it up.   I am sure Brasier takes full responsibility for that one (as most pitchers do)...

• Like 2

In re: Kelley vs. Martin

Seems pretty close to me. Martin would seem to maybe have a slight edge based on recent usage. On the other hand, Kelley got the save on 4/21, which was the last time any of these guys ever managed to close the door. In that game, the manager either wasn't going to use him at all, or still had him in mind in case Leclerc got into trouble, which would have been a reasonable expectation, considering what happened in Leclerc's last save (on 4/17), when he loaded the bases and gave up a run, barely avoiding another disaster.

Of the two, Kelley seems to have more value to me because he seems like the guy with the better tools and track record to potentially run away with the job, should Leclerc ultimately lose it.

I called this a few days back - toussaint to close- and it may end up happening

Braves recalled RHP Touki Toussaint from Triple-A Gwinnett.

It looks like the Braves are bringing Toussaint back up to help the bullpen for now. The young right-hander was excellent in a long relief outing and awful in a start in his two appearances in the majors this season.

36 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I called this a few days back - toussaint to close- and it may end up happening

Braves recalled RHP Touki Toussaint from Triple-A Gwinnett.

It looks like the Braves are bringing Toussaint back up to help the bullpen for now. The young right-hander was excellent in a long relief outing and awful in a start in his two appearances in the majors this season.

I think this is worth monitoring.  The stuff to close is definitely there.  Will the Braves toss him into the mix is what I'm not sure of.  If they were smart they'd trade for Will Smith or sign Kimbrel, but maybe the sun and moon aren't aligned on that front.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cyberer said:

I called this a few days back - toussaint to close- and it may end up happening.

You called him being promoted or closing? Those are two very different things. I think Toussaint might be a pitcher to watch in a keeper league. But I doubt the closer's job is going to a guy who got pummeled back down to AAA a couple weeks ago. I also doubt they're ready to give up on Toussaint altogether as a starter. He's 22 years old and 109 of his 125 minor/major league appearances have been starts.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

You called him being promoted or closing? Those are two very different things. I think Toussaint might be a pitcher to watch in a keeper league. But I doubt the closer's job is going to a guy who got pummeled back down to AAA a couple weeks ago. I also doubt they're ready to give up on Toussaint altogether as a starter. He's 22 years old and 109 of his 125 minor/major league appearances have been starts.

Pretty sure he called Touki as the potential closer.

Neris slowly becoming entrenched as the guy in Philly.....

• Like 1