oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Two out of the three hitters due up in the 9th were lefties.  Although the stupid thing there is Armstrong has been an extreme reverse splits guy so far.

Kind of stings to see a guy who has been awful for them so far this season get the save rather than Armstrong when they hardly get any saves to begin with.  I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it still sucks a bit.

Do you know if Armstrong was at least warming up?  The league where I picked him up is a blood-for-saves league where all closers are owned, but if Armstrong is going to be in a committee, he's probably not worth owning, especially given how few save opportunities the O's will get.

2 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you know if Armstrong was at least warming up?  The league where I picked him up is a blood-for-saves league where all closers are owned, but if Armstrong is going to be in a committee, he's probably not worth owning, especially given how few save opportunities the O's will get.

I have no idea unfortunately.  Maybe somebody does, but I don't watch them.

43 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

Why didn't Parker go tonight? Any injury updates?

Maybe matchups in the 9th?..haven’t heard any injury news

No Diaz because he is a headcase now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Baltimore beat writer claims he was. Didn’t watch the game, but stumbled upon this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

No Diaz because he is a headcase now?

I'm wondering the exact same thing.  What the hell happened there?!

3 hours ago, michaelai3 said:

Why didn't Parker go tonight? Any injury updates?

Trevor May was the only Twin warming when Rogers came out and finished the 9th. It seemed like MIN liked Rogers to close it out based on how he had been pitching, with May as the backup if things got hot. Rogers got two quick outs, but gave up a 2-out single to Daniel Robertson after getting down 3-0. With Zunino(RHH) due up next, MIN bullpen was noticeably tense with the decision to leave Rogers in or go to May. Guillermo Heredia, another righty, was due up after Zunino, so May was definitely the guy if things got to that point. Clearly, they didn't. 

A couple different takeaways from this:  

-Big game against TB, big situation with the tying run at the plate and with the platoon advantage, and Rogers was the guy. Maybe they stuck with him in the 9th because he hadn't allowed a baserunner in the four batters he faced. But with eight total batters faced, this doesn't seem like a matchup thing. Rogers is the best arm in this pen. 

-Trevor May is maybe, possibly sometimes the guy? May is in the almost-minority of Twins relievers who *haven't* recorded a save this year. Trevor Hildenberger, Ryne Harper, and Mike Morin all have one in addition to Parker(8) and Rogers(4). 

Apologies if this has been said before, but Baldelli is the Kapler of the AL.

• Like 2

Anything to see here with Anthony Bass? Thinking of making the drop of Elias for him. Their pen is such a dumpster fire, I don't know what context he was brought into the game in etc. etc... 

59 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

Anthony Bass closes it out for the Mariners... 

They just signed him to a one year deal and he immediately gets thrown into the high leverage situation. Also 2ks to boot. Was everyone in the pen available? 

4 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

They just signed him to a one year deal and he immediately gets thrown into the high leverage situation. Also 2ks to boot. Was everyone in the pen available? 

I don't usually go to closermonkey for my source when it comes to closer news, but they have this under their vulture save watch:

2. Brandon Brennan/Connor Sadzeck/Cory Gearrin — Roenis Elias has pitched in two straight and three of five, allowing four runs (two earned) on 67 pitches. And Seattle’s bullpen is a mess.

One would have to think Leclerc gets a chance to close again eventually--

"He has been reliable since being moved out of the closer's role, posting a 2.13 ERA with a 24:6 K:BB over 12.1 innings."

4 minutes ago, nlm said:

I don't usually go to closermonkey for my source when it comes to closer news, but they have this under their vulture save watch:

2. Brandon Brennan/Connor Sadzeck/Cory Gearrin — Roenis Elias has pitched in two straight and three of five, allowing four runs (two earned) on 67 pitches. And Seattle’s bullpen is a mess.

Well seeing as Bass was called upon to get out of a bases loaded 2-out situation in the 8th and left in for the 9th in which he got 2ks, I’d say he should be the lead runner for the next high leverage situation considering that Seattle’s bullpen has been a mess.

I didn't see the game, but that is certainly telling and interesting to note. I'm going to eyeball Bass. I don't know if he's a must-add... Hunter Strickland is also throwing off a mound or set to, and aiming for a mid-June return, so who knows how much value can be syphoned out of the M's leftovers at this point.

1 minute ago, nlm said:

I didn't see the game, but that is certainly telling and interesting to note. I'm going to eyeball Bass. I don't know if he's a must-add... Hunter Strickland is also throwing off a mound or set to, and aiming for a mid-June return, so who knows how much value can be syphoned out of the M's leftovers at this point.

Smart $ is on Strickland immediately getting his job back when he returns.

1 minute ago, nlm said:

Don’t forget that Bass has had 9 saves in AAA. I would safely assume he will be the man in the 9th until Strickland is back. If you’re desperate for saves he’s worth the add. 

1 minute ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Don’t forget that Bass has had 9 saves in AAA. I would safely assume he will be the man in the 9th until Strickland is back. If you’re desperate for saves he’s worth the add. 

Yeah, I read that as well. I would essentially be swapping Elias for Bass, gambling on the latter taking the job. But Strickland is probably a lock to get the gig upon return. I may just make the move anyway, though.

1 hour ago, GriffeySwag said:

Smart $ is on Strickland immediately getting his job back when he returns.

I'd bet on that too, but there's a chance someone could run with the job before he comes back.

44 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'd bet on that too, but there's a chance someone could run with the job before he comes back.

Who? I mean it's getting late in the game for someone to grab it after a quarter of the season of no one stepping up. I think Strickland is close to a lock at getting the role when he comes back.  I am not as convinced he's going to be much better though.

5 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Who? I mean it's getting late in the game for someone to grab it after a quarter of the season of no one stepping up. I think Strickland is close to a lock at getting the role when he comes back.  I am not as convinced he's going to be much better though.

Bass is probably the last guy with a chance to run with it as time is running out as you noted.