oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Where is Elias? Is he still hurt? He's gotta be the guy in Seattle now, right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michaelai3 said:

Where is Elias? Is he still hurt? He's gotta be the guy in Seattle now, right?

I would believe so, Swarzak has done nothing to secure the closers role. Tonight I would have to believe was the final straw in having him handle high leverage situations. He’s been terrible of late. 

24 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I would believe so, Swarzak has done nothing to secure the closers role. Tonight I would have to believe was the final straw in having him handle high leverage situations. He’s been terrible of late. 

I’ve been holding onto Swarzak hoping he would redeem himself, but is everyone else finally letting go? 

I’m out on Swarzak.  I suspect he’ll get next save opp, but he’s been bad enough he isn’t helping overall and he won’t retain the gig.

If his manager wouldn’t even turn to a lefty to face a lefty in a tie game, I doubt he’s prepared to demote him currently.

There has been little or no news on Elias' injury. If there were, Swarzak would be an easier drop/hold.

Iglesias brought into the 8th again. 

Has Neris been the closer pickup of the year so far? I know thats not sayin much lol

6 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Has Neris been the closer pickup of the year so far? I know thats not sayin much lol

Holland if he counts

• Like 2

Chris Martin comes into a tie game at home  in the 9th for Texas  which is where the closer usually pitches.  Hummm Thought Kelley was getting the gig now maybe not.

14 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Iglesias brought into the 8th again. 

And proceeds to blow it.

3 minutes ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

Chris Martin comes into a tie game at home  in the 9th for Texas  which is where the closer usually pitches.  Hummm Thought Kelley was getting the gig now maybe not.

and martin struck out the side.  attacked the hitters.  one of the 2 hits gave up was vlad jr legging out a single that almost went to replay.   drury got good wood on a single.  but then he struck out teoscar to end the inning.  was pumping mid 90s on the gun.

10 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

And proceeds to blow it.

Of course allergic to wins too. Bases loaded. Nada. 

18 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Holland if he counts

Yeah he and Parker have to top that list. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Romo's been kind of dope as well. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:12 AM, Slatykamora said:

# of times appeared from tie to 3 run lead

Rangers

Kelley 6th inning 1

Kelley 7th inning 3

Kelley 8th inning 2

Kelley 9th inning 1

Martin 8th inning 7

Martin 9th inning 3

Angles

Buttrey 7th inning 2

Buttrey 8th inning 5

Robles 8th inning 3

Robles 9th inning 3

Leverage Innings: High (Medium)

Rangers

Martin 5.0 (2.1)

Kelley 1.2 (5.1)

Angles

Buttrey 5.1 (6.1)

Robles 1.1  (4.1)

Usage and leverage points towards Martin. While Leverage did point towards Buttrey. Its the fact that he's been used as the primary fireman, while Robles has a dedicated role that makes him the bet for saves.

Kelley also seems to be used all over the place like Buttrey. Which again, favors Martin in a dedicated role.

Context clues already pointed to 90% chance of Martin getting the closer's gig over Kelley, and after tonight, it seems 100% clear that Martin is the closer.

I think LeClerc is flat-out terrible and I don't see him getting the closer's job back, at least not this year.

• Haha 2

Moronta is filthy 

Are the Brewers going to keep running Hader out there for 30+ pitch 2 inning saves all yr?  I Guess he won't pitch again for another 3 days.

1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

Yeah he and Parker have to top that list. 

Depends on the league. Holland and Parker were drafted in both of my leagues...but Neris was drafted in neither. So in my leagues, Neris would currently be the pickup of the season. :) 

But it's only May 3. 

• Like 1

The issue with Martin is he seems to be a ticking time bomb.  His ratios look ok on the surface, but he puts on way too many baserunners and has already given up 3 HRs.  Even tonight, he put two runners on while striking out the side.  All that on top of career numbers that are downright awful, and the Texas situation is an easy pass for me.

13 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The issue with Martin is he seems to be a ticking time bomb.  His ratios look ok on the surface, but he puts on way too many baserunners and has already given up 3 HRs.  Even tonight, he put two runners on while striking out the side.  All that on top of career numbers that are downright awful, and the Texas situation is an easy pass for me.

His career numbers are bad, but I honestly wouldn't pay attention to anything prior to 2018...since he apparently missed the 2016 and 2017 seasons (was he overseas?). 

As far as the HRs, his HR/FB is significantly higher than last year, so I expect that to normalize. His FB% is about the same as 2018, but he's inducing 7% more ground balls so far, which is a positive thing. 

I'm not a fan of the number of hits that he gives up, but the good thing is that he doesn't walk a lot of batters (5 in 41.2 ip last year...3 in 12.1 so far this year). Can he cut down on the number of hits he allows? Not sure. As far as tonight, one of those hits was an infield single. It's hard to fault any pitcher for giving up an infield single. 

If we're looking for positives from Martin...split his first six appearances from his last six appearances this year. In his first six, Martin pitched 6.0 innings, allowed 8 hits and 4 ER, walked 1, struck out 6, and gave up all 3 HRs he's allowed this year. In his last six, Martin has pitched 6.1 innings, allowed 6 hits and 1 ER, walked 2, struck out 7, and allowed 0 HRs.  

Does any of that mean he's turned into a good pitcher and would be a good closer for Texas? I have no idea. I'm not saying he's going to run with Rangers' closer job nor am I saying he won't turn back into a pumpkin and destroy ratios across the fantasy world. But maybe there is something positive to look at here if he can continue trending in the right direction.  

Getting tired of holding onto Jeffress when Hader is pitching 2inning saves and getting 5ks. I want to drop but I’m sure like others it’s difficult considering the save opportunities he’s received last year. 

Also wanting to drop Swarzak and take a flyer on Martin but need to know if Elias is really hurt in order to do so.....I hate chasing saves lol

So Ian Kennedy is moved to the top of that KC pile now?

• Like 1

Mets talking to kimbrel? Wow 

5 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Mets talking to kimbrel? Wow 

You got a link or something? I don’t see anything confirming this.