oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Soria and Rodney have both been brutally bad this year, but you never know with managers now a days..and none of this may even matter, treinen May just need a couple days off and be back to normal

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Soria and Rodney have both been brutally bad this year, but you never know with managers now a days..and none of this may even matter, treinen May just need a couple days off and be back to normal

Yeah but if you want the best setup man in baseball turned closer you obviously have to pick him up ASAP and take the risk, aka the entire point of this thread. Trivino is worth rostering in non holds leagues for the ratios already. And considering we get excited about Shawn Kelley and Chris Martin here I'd say this is defcon 9

Treinens velocity was down last time out when he blew up too

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

Woodward just said in the postgame press conference that it’s Leclerc’s job once he’s ready. Also said that the bullpen will be unconventional in the meantime and will mix and match.

What else was he going to say?

Edited by michaelai3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

What else was he going to say?

He could say something like “we’ll take it one day at a time.” He doesn’t need to say anything about Leclerc. I think he genuinely believes that his bullpen sets up better with Leclerc closing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

He could say something like “we’ll take it one day at a time.” He doesn’t need to say anything about Leclerc. I think he genuinely believes that his bullpen sets up better with Leclerc closing.

Makes sense.

Regarding the Blake Treinen situation:

Treinen said he believes the issue to be elbow tendinitis, which he’s had before but, he told The Chronicle, he’s usually been able to throw through it before. “It kind of hit me (Saturday) morning and I’ll get through the off day and pick it back up from there,” Treinen said. “It’s just kind of fluke soreness. It just popped up. I’m not a doctor, so I don’t know a ton about it.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-can-t-hold-on-to-win-in-the-drizzle-at-13819971.php

• Thanks 1

Why can’t Leclerc do that in save opp? Mental. 

Leclerc is going to be fine. Stuff is there. He'll get the confidence back and take back over before long. Probably good buy low opp.

I might be in the minority here, but I think Soria might get the chances should Treinen be out for a bit.  Teams just seem to want that high end arm to be available to them in the late innings for rough spots and the tougher parts of the opponents order.  The old way would be to take your best remaining arm and have him close, but with Soria having had aa careers worth of success as a closer, and Trevino being so good in his current role, it would make some sense to keep Trev where he is and insert the veteran closer into the role he's very comfortable in.  It's possible at least.

Posted (edited)

I miss the days where the most obvious/best option just stepped right in to the role if a closer got hurt.  Obviously not saying Trivino won't, as there's no reason for him not to be the closer, but we'll see obviously.

Trivino is definitely the only one of the options I'd want to own regardless.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I might be in the minority here, but I think Soria might get the chances should Treinen be out for a bit.  Teams just seem to want that high end arm to be available to them in the late innings for rough spots and the tougher parts of the opponents order.  The old way would be to take your best remaining arm and have him close, but with Soria having had aa careers worth of success as a closer, and Trevino being so good in his current role, it would make some sense to keep Trev where he is and insert the veteran closer into the role he's very comfortable in.  It's possible at least.

But they didn’t pitch Trivino in a tough spot last night because they were saving him to close. So there doesn’t seem to need to be much “reading the tea leaves” since it already came from the manager’s mouth.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

But they didn’t pitch Trivino in a tough spot last night because they were saving him to close. So there doesn’t seem to need to be much “reading the tea leaves” since it already came from the manager’s mouth.

Yes, it’s in that link that crafty posted above: “Because Treinen was not available, Melvin did not use Lou Trivino in the seventh when Wendelken got into trouble; Trivino had the closer spot in Treinen’s absence.”

Is Parker a good buy for saves going forward? Anyone have insight to the Minny situation? I guess until Parker falters there’s no reason to think he’s not. Just not sure I’m a believer in his stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Is Parker a good buy for saves going forward? Anyone have insight to the Minny situation? I guess until Parker falters there’s no reason to think he’s not. Just not sure I’m a believer in his stuff. 

Where have you been? Him and Shane Greene are the best closers in the major leagues. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

Where have you been? Him and Shane Greene are the best closers in the major leagues. 

Just not sure I trust it long term. Whether he falters, or they committee, or trade for an upgrade. 

16 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Just not sure I trust it long term. Whether he falters, or they committee, or trade for an upgrade. 

I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just an FYI on Jeremy Jeffress' velocity per appearance since his return to action.  Three straight games at 94+ mph.  Seems as if his velo is ramping up which was a concern thru his rehab and early outings.  I'm still holding in a deeper league I'm in.

Also of note, he pitched in 3 out of the first 4 days in May.  So his health doesn't seem to be in question.

Game Fourseam Sinker Curve Split
SLN@MIL (4/17/19) 92.36 91.23 0.00 0.00
LAN@MIL (4/18/19) 91.84 92.30 81.44 89.55
MIL@SLN (4/22/19) 93.76 93.66 81.02 91.39
MIL@SLN (4/24/19) 91.61 90.68 78.53 88.01
MIL@NYN (4/27/19) 90.72 91.65 79.04 0.00
COL@MIL (5/1/19) 94.63 94.57 81.13 90.96
COL@MIL (5/2/19) 94.43 92.95 80.01 89.94
NYN@MIL (5/4/19) 94.63 93.70 80.31 0.00
Edited by dicka24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Even best case scenario if this gets better and he's good to go, I gotta imagine this will be an issue that needs to be monitored closely year long. Trivino is a high priority handcuff for Treinen owners now regardless of the exam IMO.

Trivino is warming up in the 6th inning down 1-0 😅

(99% sure, i was looking away from the game at the moment they mentioned him)

8 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Trivino is warming up in the 6th inning down 1-0 😅

(99% sure, i was looking away from the game at the moment they mentioned him)

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Luke Jackson in for the save for Atlanta. Worth noting, Minter struck out the side yesterday in the 9th of a 9-2 win so still no clarity as of yet. 

2 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Kennedy gives up a 3-run HR in a tied game for the loss 

he did quite ok. that rook at 3B cost him two infield singles, not sure wtf that dude was doin lol