djmax101

Nick Senzel 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Ok. Now it's really happening. In the leadoff spot versus righty with everyone back in lineup. Senzel,Votto,Suarez,Winker, and Puig top 5 just like i wanted. Now it's time for him to fill up the stat sheet tonight so he can keep the spot. 

8pSH.gif

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 SB last night for Senzel, that's 3 on the year. 

One thing I have noticed so far is that he's striking out a decent amount (25% so far this year)

BUUTTTTT..... his swinging strike rate is only 7.7%. My eyes also tell me he's taking a lot of pitches. The numbers bear that out too

image.thumb.png.f617ac2ecc394221f059faf18f7831f5.png

He's also seeing a whopping 4.28 pitches per AB which tells me he's being very selective

Got rung up last night on a ball up in the zone, little rookie treatment, but I think it's encouraging to see he only has a 7.7% SwStr% compared to his 25% K rate

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

2 SB last night for Senzel, that's 3 on the year. 

One thing I have noticed so far is that he's striking out a decent amount (25% so far this year)

BUUTTTTT..... his swinging strike rate is only 7.7%. My eyes also tell me he's taking a lot of pitches. The numbers bear that out too

image.thumb.png.f617ac2ecc394221f059faf18f7831f5.png

He's also seeing a whopping 4.28 pitches per AB which tells me he's being very selective

Got rung up last night on a ball up in the zone, little rookie treatment, but I think it's encouraging to see he only has a 7.7% SwStr% compared to his 25% K rate

The pitch up in the zone was a bad call. Ive watched almost all of his AB’s this year and he is super selective. He’s got some Votto in him, he’s going to make you win over the plate. Just want to see some more contact now, he hits the ball hard when he does make contact. 

• Like 1

Got another steal. Might take 20 this year. 15 homer 20 steal season would be nice. 

ESPN projections are .292 / 20 HR / 14 SB's.  I am fairly certain he'll nearly double those SB's based off his aggressiveness on base, and willingness to run on pitchers whether they are righties, or lefties. 

He's batting lead off, playing the weakest position in MLB ( other than dumpster fire Catcher ), plus Votto and Puig really haven't gotten going yet, so the Runs should be 80+.  I see him easily finishing top 10 at his position, with potential for a Top 3-5 finish.

• Like 1

http://rotoprofessor.com/10-important-stories-from-05-18-19-box-scores-are-we-buying-these-breakouts-buxton-more-should-we-trust-the-youngsters-senzel-riley-more/

What to make of Nick Senzel and his struggles…
It was another subpar performance for Senzel, who went 1-4 with 1 R yesterday while hitting out of the leadoff spot.  He’s now slashing .238/.314/.429 with 3 HR and 4 SB over his first 15 games.  Obviously no one is about to raise the panic flag over such a small sample size, especially since he entered the day showing a strong approach (7.5% SwStr%, 22.7% O-Swing%) showing that his 17 K may be more of an aberration.  He also had been showing a willingness to use the entire field (36.4% Oppo%) while also hitting the ball relatively had (36.4% Hard%), meaning a .268 BABIP should also improve.  Everything supports a hot streak coming, so don’t lose hope now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was not aware Senzel was "struggling"....if this is how Senzel looks in a struggle I am more than thrilled 

• Like 9

88th Percentile in sprint speed. Don't think these steals are a fluke. He clearly has the green light right now because he's yet to have been thrown out.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

88th Percentile in sprint speed. Don't think these steals are a fluke. He clearly has the green light right now because he's yet to have been thrown out.

Yep, I think he is going to run a lot more than was initially expected. 

18 hours ago, terminator10 said:

I was not aware Senzel was "struggling"....if this is how Senzel looks in a struggle I am more than thrilled 

If he gets me 3 steals a week he can continue to struggle :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Didn't know this guy was a 2k+ per game type of player.  He looks absolutely lost at the plate. 

Edited by ComeSaleAway

8 minutes ago, ComeSaleAway said:

Didn't know this guy was a 2k+ per game type of player.  He looks absolutely lost at the plate. 

So many strikes looking. I feel like he’s gonna improve quite a bit as the year goes on. I prefer that to him hacking away. 

49 minutes ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

Oooof.  Dude is K’ing like crazy.  

Up to 30%.  Not a red flag yet with how much he's walking but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

IMO he's getting unlucky. Struck out 3 times with just 2 swinging strikes. Its been that way, he has been taking too many called strikes. He still has good contact skills. Meaning he is just swinging the bat more away from dropping the Ks. That is easy to do vs. needing to make more contact to drop the Ks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ComeSaleAway said:

Almost like he's a rookie in his first stint at the major league level. His contact rates and swinging strike %'s look good, so I doubt Ks will be an issue over the long haul if that keeps up, but he's a rookie so there's going to be growing pains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

Eh, might be time to bench him until he snaps out of this.

Yup most of the high profile rookies are struggling.

There we go. He is going to be a good hitter. The only questions are how much power will he hit for and how much will he run. 

Right now he is being a little too patient. Bump up the aggression and hopefully we see some more pop. 

I think he tops out around 25 or so bombs but I think he can be a 35 plus base stealer for a few years. 

Hopefully hit around 290-300 with a high OBP 

1 minute ago, DownSouthWolverine said:

3/5 today with a bunch of runs scored.  We all know what he's capable of, just going to be bumpy.

Why is it going to be bumpy?