Sign in to follow this  
merlin401

Banning Game Day Commentary

I guess a general question/feedback about this ban (particularly in baseball).  I get that you don't want just mindless updates like "he hit a homer", "2-4 today" or "Sick strikeout right there!".   But I absolutely feel like there is a place for useful commentary as a game is going on.  I find Rotoworld to have a lot of insightful comments, especially about pitchers.  I don't want to wade through a game day thread to see a useful update on how a pitcher looks that particular night, for example.  I've actually read some interesting feedback from people watching the games about a performance, then seen it deleted, and then I just went to Reddit to carry on conversation there instead.  To me, if the live performance give us something significant to talk about, why ban talking about it in an organized fashion until after the game is over (and I'm in bed anyway).  Anyway, just my two cents.  Cheers!

In principle, having a small amount of substantial commentary about how a player looks in a given game could be useful if properly contextualized and limited to just a post or two.  Unfortunately, it's difficult bordering on impossible to have that information posted to the thread without it becoming a live-blog of the game.  Once the thread is bumped, people see it at the top of the forum, and can't help but offer their own $0.02, and pretty soon it's a page or two of back-and-forth about the game.

This is a serious problem for the informational value of the outlook thread, especially with starting pitchers.  A starter can look great in the first inning or two and then get knocked around, or he can give up a couple of early runs and then settle in and end up with a great line.  The same dynamic applies to hitters -- we see plenty of "0-3 already with 3 Ks, this guy sucks" posts during games (which we generally remove) and then the guy hits a homer and it's a bunch of "WOO DINGERS" posts.  What looked like a bad game is now a good one, and all the posts that complained about the bad start are just taking up space.

By asking folks to at least wait until the game is over (or until the pitcher's line is complete), we ensure that the commentary is about the entirety of that player's performance on that day, not about discrete events that might look completely different with the added context of subsequent plate appearances or innings.  It also helps to give everyone time to cool off and think about the game events in terms of the player's season-long outlook.  Those who want the instant updates can follow the game day thread, those who can't because they're too noisy can wait a few hours or check in the next day.

You correctly note some downsides of this approach, so we do suspend this guideline whenever there's a compelling reason to do so (most notably injuries).  Generally speaking, though, letting people offer in-game commentary in outlook threads just doesn't scale well, and ultimately we have to balance the desire to get the most up-to-date information with the desire for outlook threads with a high signal to noise ratio, all within the constraints  we have in terms of moderator resources. 

I'm genuinely sorry that the current balance isn't meeting your needs, but if following a 5 or 10 page game day thread is too high a burden for you, I think you'd be even more overwhelmed by what the outlook threads would look like if we weren't pruning the game day stuff from them.

In any event, thanks for the feedback -- happy to discuss further.

14 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

In principle, having a small amount of substantial commentary about how a player looks in a given game could be useful if properly contextualized and limited to just a post or two.  Unfortunately, it's difficult bordering on impossible to have that information posted to the thread without it becoming a live-blog of the game.  Once the thread is bumped, people see it at the top of the forum, and can't help but offer their own $0.02, and pretty soon it's a page or two of back-and-forth about the game.

This is a serious problem for the informational value of the outlook thread, especially with starting pitchers.  A starter can look great in the first inning or two and then get knocked around, or he can give up a couple of early runs and then settle in and end up with a great line.  The same dynamic applies to hitters -- we see plenty of "0-3 already with 3 Ks, this guy sucks" posts during games (which we generally remove) and then the guy hits a homer and it's a bunch of "WOO DINGERS" posts.  What looked like a bad game is now a good one, and all the posts that complained about the bad start are just taking up space.

By asking folks to at least wait until the game is over (or until the pitcher's line is complete), we ensure that the commentary is about the entirety of that player's performance on that day, not about discrete events that might look completely different with the added context of subsequent plate appearances or innings.  It also helps to give everyone time to cool off and think about the game events in terms of the player's season-long outlook.  Those who want the instant updates can follow the game day thread, those who can't because they're too noisy can wait a few hours or check in the next day.

You correctly note some downsides of this approach, so we do suspend this guideline whenever there's a compelling reason to do so (most notably injuries).  Generally speaking, though, letting people offer in-game commentary in outlook threads just doesn't scale well, and ultimately we have to balance the desire to get the most up-to-date information with the desire for outlook threads with a high signal to noise ratio, all within the constraints  we have in terms of moderator resources. 

I'm genuinely sorry that the current balance isn't meeting your needs, but if following a 5 or 10 page game day thread is too high a burden for you, I think you'd be even more overwhelmed by what the outlook threads would look like if we weren't pruning the game day stuff from them.

I agree with @merlin401. To many posts are being deleted.

the basketball forums have great debates because the posts aren’t being deleted. 

I personally think it’s okay for someone to post controversial things aslong as there not being disrespectful, makes things more interesting and entertaining 

6 hours ago, Simsanityy179 said:

agree with @merlin401. To many posts are being deleted.

the basketball forums have great debates because the posts aren’t being deleted.  

I personally think it’s okay for someone to post controversial things aslong as there not being disrespectful, makes things more interesting and entertaining  

You seem to be making an unrelated point here about "controversial" posts.  This thread is about game day content in player outlook posts.  If you want to talk about "controversial things" that are being moderated. please do so in a new Fantasy Feedback thread so we can focus on game day content in this one.

22 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Thanks for the reply, and I definitely get what you’re saying. But, for example, there are some critical things beyond injury which are really important potentially (I.e., how is Chris Sales’s velocity looking over the first two innings) which I feel could be let slide. Anyway, I know moderating and finding the ideal balance is a hard job so thanks for all you guys (and gals?) do!

On 5/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, merlin401 said:

Thanks for the reply, and I definitely get what you’re saying. But, for example, there are some critical things beyond injury which are really important potentially (I.e., how is Chris Sales’s velocity looking over the first two innings) which I feel could be let slide. Anyway, I know moderating and finding the ideal balance is a hard job so thanks for all you guys (and gals?) do!

Just to follow up.  I understand and empathize with your points.  A best practice may be instead of giving an inning by inning recap in real time in the Player threads, track it and then give a recap of the entire start which you can do inning by inning.  

Example:  

Sale was starting at 97 mph in the first two innings

3rd inning started to wear and rely more on his slider.  Still hitting 94.

5th inning he ran into trouble and was a high stress inning.  Hitters started squaring him up more and velocity was more around 93 mph although did reach back and hit 96 to K <insert player>.

6th inning, blah, blah, blah.

etc, etc.

You can leave the inning responses in the GDT in real time and then recap for owners after he's done for the night.  Does that make sense?

I do know this approach is not only appreciated by posters and Mods alike but the best kind of information we can leave for our entire community.  Thanks for the respectful feedback.

• Like 1