Sign in to follow this  
ST. STEVEN

Josh VanMeter 2019 Outlook

Are you saying who da **** is that guy? Well, he's Cincinnati Redlegs AAA SS and getting his first call to the show according to Heyman.

Don't feel bad, he does not appear on the Cincy top 30 for any major pub, but he made some serious swing changes midway through last season and it has paid off.

VanMeter has been hitting the cover off the ball at Louisville with a .346/.432/.757 slash line and 13 home runs in 29 games. The 24-year-old could seemingly take over at second base for Jose Peraza, who has struggled mightily this season with a .504 OPS, but the reds have yet to make any official declarations.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Can the Meter run or is he strictly hitting caliber talent only?

Edited by Cmilne23

14 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Can the Meter run or is he strictly hitting caliber talent only?

Prob not much, he does have 5 in 30 games this year though. 10 last year and 15 the year before, so he's not a total slouch.

I am assuming they did not call him up to sit. Where is he going to play?  I wonder how many starts he will get per week. I picked him up cause I had an open roster spot - See Soto, Juan to the IL. Not expecting much but a few guys come out of nowhere every year.. why not him?

Posted (edited)

I have been noticing this guy because I was following Senzel's progress in AAA last week. Apparently, the two of them are good friends and former roommates. Having VanMeter around may help Senzel feel more comfortable. And the reverse.

There was a game last week when Louisville won something like 23-2, where VanMeter hit three HRs and drove in 8. I did some digging and found an article where he discussed changing his hitting approach slightly, but I don't remember the details. He's a normal-sized kid--but so were Howard Johnson and Ron Gant, who were perpetual 30-HR threats, for those old-timers here.

Edited by Raymanta
  • Like 1

Possible he plays for Jose Peraza who has been horrible.  

7 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Prob not much, he does have 5 in 30 games this year though. 10 last year and 15 the year before, so he's not a total slouch.

The Meter is running!  

• Like 4

Can’t find him in the Yahoo database. 

I think some PH's, a few starts, but as far as fantasy purposes, he is equal to about 100 other FA's sitting on your wire, IMO, and this is coming from a Redleg fan.

Tiny bit of pop, little speed, not a great hit tool, just happened to be hot as a firecracker in AAA at the moment

3 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

I think some PH's, a few starts, but as far as fantasy purposes, he is equal to about 100 other FA's sitting on your wire, IMO, and this is coming from a Redleg fan.

Tiny bit of pop, little speed, not a great hit tool, just happened to be hot as a firecracker in AAA at the moment

Not so sure about this, it looks like he starting to improve last season.

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Not so sure about this, it looks like he starting to improve last season.

yeah a little but still, I see no game breaking talent vs a bunch of guys I stare at each day on the waiver wire is what I am saying. I mean if the Reds demoted Peraza, that is one thing but they are not. They want this dude up their to PH and to spell people

Not cutting the kid, just the numbers El_Chingon, which is what we are all here to discuss

Now my opinion would change if he started all week and slashed like an all-star, that is how fast things change with young guys but what I see is a guy given 500 AB's should sit around 20 HR, 10 steals and hit 250 and that is a MLB ceiling, based on MY OPINION and what I have seen

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

yeah a little but still, I see no game breaking talent vs a bunch of guys I stare at each day on the waiver wire is what I am saying. I mean if the Reds demoted Peraza, that is one thing but they are not. They want this dude up their to PH and to spell people

Not cutting the kid, just the numbers El_Chingon, which is what we are all here to discuss

Now my opinion would change if he started all week and slashed like an all-star, that is how fast things change with young guys but what I see is a guy given 500 AB's should sit around 20 HR, 10 steals and hit 250 and that is a MLB ceiling, based on MY OPINION and what I have seen

You say "just the numbers"... but really here are just the numbers: 

110 ABS batting .336 with 13 homers and 31 driven in and 5 steals. Over his last 10 games in the minors, he had two different games of 2 homers, one of 3 homers and 2 steals. So yeah I think I am going to play by the numbers and not some made up scouting report. 

So is he like a Quad-A guy @CraftyRighty😜 I like when you make those declarations!

It's really hard to say what we have here? Basically throw out any scouting reports with him, he's retooled his whole approach and it has delivered striking results (so far). To have Klaw call him a regular w/ potential to play all over in his most recent chat is pretty high praise. But seems like there really isn't much of an avenue for full-time ABs right now, so it's hard to get the call-up? It's not a great idea to bring up 24 yr olds to make 'PH appearances' in early May imo. He seems really redundant to Derek D--who is red hot but not playing everyday either. I would not bother in any leagues outside of 15+ with deep reserve slots and dynasty formats...at least yet-

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Not in the lineup today. Why call up if they didn't intend to play him?

They're waiting for him to show up on ESPN and clear waivers 😎

Just now, pushaZ said:

They're waiting for him to show up on ESPN and clear waivers 😎

He's showing up on ESPN. Just hasn't cleared waivers 😊

Sorry for the skepticism but this is the third or fourth case of AAA guy suddenly looking amazing this year. They are using new balls leading to a home run surge at that level and there are a lot of insane OPS numbers floating around. Skye Bolt, Luis Urias, Carter Kieboom, Ty France, and Josh VanMeter have all looked amazing based on 2019 AAA numbers, along with dozens of other players. All I'm saying is tempered expectations might be in order...

5 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Sorry for the skepticism but this is the third or fourth case of AAA guy suddenly looking amazing this year. They are using new balls leading to a home run surge at that level and there are a lot of insane OPS numbers floating around. Skye Bolt, Luis Urias, Carter Kieboom, Ty France, and Josh VanMeter have all looked amazing based on 2019 AAA numbers, along with dozens of other players. All I'm saying is tempered expectations might be in order...

Of course. Carter Kieboom is way more talented, Ty France has a better feel for contact, Bolt is a better athlete, but he is probably the most polished hitter of the group. For whatever that is worth.

"Reds manager David Bell said VanMeter will play in a utility role off the bench with occasional starts."

Fantasy friendly skillset from a guy who bought into the launch angle evolution hardcore. In 2018, in Double-A, he was a 47.3% Ground Ball and 32.4% Fly Ball guy. In AAA at the end of last year and into this year, he's pushed that all the way down to 34% grounders and 48% flyballs.

This is an intriguing prospect, but he's going to have to flash very well in his limited and sporadic chances to even get a shot to show it with starts. Definitely a Watch List kind of guy with an interesting power/speed combo.

• Like 1

I'm buying but it's gonna take injury or someone else's cold streak to get him in there...

I was fairly excited while I waited for Yahoo to add him, then I see he didn't play for two straight games.

So ... why'd they call him up?  

Cancelled waiver and will monitor.