bjvance5

Ronny Rodriguez 2019 Outlook

This 27 year old guy has been hitting the ball well for Detroit. Is this simply a hot streak? I’ve never heard of him.

Slashing .333/.380/.711 with three home runs, eight RBI and one stolen base and working his way into lineup often...

Read this on pitcherlist today:

Rodriguez has always boasted a rare combination of power and speed, having gone 17/15 in Triple-A back in 2017 and 14/12 last year with Detroit and Triple-A Toledo.

Plus, even though the sample size is tiny, Rodriguez has shown much better patience at the plate, with an 8.9% walk rate. His power probably won’t last (a 51.6% hard-hit rate is absurd), but he does have the ability to go 15/15 even in a utility role. And if he continues to improve his plate discipline that could make him a very nice piece in deeper (14-plus–team) leagues.

• Like 1

In Yahoo leagues he has eligibility at all four infield positions. Last year at Triple A in just 260 ABs he hit .338, 9 HR, 10 SB, .923 OPS.  He doesn't strike out a ton either. I'm interested, especially for my MI spot.  Does anyone else have any info on this guy?

Another big game from this guy. 3 hits, a double, triple and 4 RBIs. And in Yahoo leagues he's eligible 1B, 2B, SS, and 3B.

He really is smoking the ball since he got his opportunity...and he should keep finding his way into the lineup, esp with Mercer hitting the IL again.

Have him in my MI spot. Thinking of making the move in my shallower league but not sure yet. He is all-name team so that's a plus.

Love him! My greatest pickup in January for Fantasy as soon as I read he changed his swing and improve his launch angle I was sold!

Bammmmmmm Bammmmm Rodriguez

• Like 1

.349 BABIP, maybe teams just haven't figured out what sort of shift to put on this guy yet. But his groundball rate is not very high...so...intersting dude...

What is the scoop on this guy? Position versatility and seems to be swinging a hot bat.

Fangraphs has him listed at 170 lbs, mlb at 200 which seems more accurate. His hitting power seems similar to Niko goodrum, 89/92, 45%, a little less than ja a oby Jones, but his k-rate is a lot better, though his swstr and contact is pretty bad (how does he only strike out at 21%)

13 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

What is the scoop on this guy? Position versatility and seems to be swinging a hot bat.

You seem to have summarized it quite nicely.  In a super-deep league this guy wasn't on anyone's radar.  I happened to grab him a week ago to replace Adam Frazier (didn't spend much on him, but what I spent didn't pan out) and been enjoying the ride. I have no expectation it will continue but will enjoy while it lasts.  I took one glance at his BABIP and assumed that he'll be hitting .230 by the end of May.  Would love to be proven wrong. 

16 hours ago, michaelai3 said:

.349 BABIP, maybe teams just haven't figured out what sort of shift to put on this guy yet. But his groundball rate is not very high...so...intersting dude...

Where did you see a .349 BABIP? Fangraphs has it at .319, and that seems to be within range of what he's produced the last few years -- .332 in 2015 at AA, .298 in 2016 in AAA, .329 in 2017 in AAA, .383 in 2018 in AAA. That dipped to .253 in Detroit last year, but I don't see .319 as something that's unsustainable. 

• Like 2

I’m on board. Cano has been mediocre so this guy slots in nicely at 2B to play while he’s hot. Hitting behind Miggy (even 2019 Miggy) everyday is a good way to see some pitches.

former indians prospect. IMO, nothing more than a utility guy who can chip in some home runs and steals here and there. On a rebuilding club like Detroit though, he could continue to get an extended look. 

22 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

former indians prospect. IMO, nothing more than a utility guy who can chip in some home runs and steals here and there. On a rebuilding club like Detroit though, he could continue to get an extended look. 

He completely changed his swing at the end of last year, thats a big plus. Its the same thing with Yandy Diaz improving his launch angle

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/tigers/2018/08/ronny_rodriguez_tigers_1.html%3foutputType=amp

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BMcP said:

From 4.4 to 4.8?!

I dont own Yandy I said that based on what others were saying but seem he didnt improve much in that department after facts checking. lol

As for Rodriguez he improved from 11.3 to 17.1 with his new swing.

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
  • Like 4

On 5/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, LivingOnTheEdge said:

I dont own Yandy I said that based on what others were saying but seem he didnt improve much in that department after facts checking. lol

As for Rodriguez he improved from 11.3 to 17.1 with his new swing.

What do you make of his low contact rate?

7 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

What do you make of his low contact rate?

That he's having trouble getting the bat on the ball in comparison to other major leaguers.  

• Haha 3

I'll stick along for the ride, but swing change doesn't suddenly mean you develop an eye at the plate. Still swings at a lot of bad pitches and is getting destroyed by sliders. I can buy into this power outbreak, i'm not buying the BA or OBP even remotely.

Useful! Not that it matters a ton but he should prob be batting 2nd or 3rd...maybe soon, or they just wanna leave him where he's been productive, idk?

• Like 2