Boudewijn

Mark Andrews 2019 Outlook

35 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

I wouldn't say it was due to a blowout totally (he wasn't pulled, caught a TD from RG3) rather Andrews shines above the other TEs on the roster in the passing game.  He's the worst blocker of the group of tight ends, but the best receiver.  So maybe if they were just lining up in power formations running he wouldn't have been in there.

That said, look at last year's snap counts (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndrMa00/fantasy/2018) Andrews seems to get utilized only on passing downs.  He'll still get numbers at year end, but if you're hoping him to jump into the Ertz / Kittle tier it can be a limiting factor.  As a Ravens fan, love Andrews and what he brings, he looks like an absolute force to bring down.  But his lack of versatility in terms of blocking ability compared to the tight ends behind him will likely limit his time on the field and keep him from being a "league winner" type breakout player.

Reading comparisons like this to "last year's raven's offense" is why I missed out on Andrews.  Yes I blame you.  In 2018, Lamar Jackson was thrusted into a starting role on a team that didn't fit his strengths and so they mostly just relied on his raw talent.  They rebuilt the offense around him this off-season, and we can say without a doubt even after 1 week that the offense is much less 1-dimensional now.  Mark Andrews was productive last year even in the 1-dimensional system.  I expect good things from him this year.  Full disclosure: No Andrews for me but I'm all in on Lamar.

Edited by Mathew Berry

7 minutes ago, Mathew Berry said:

Reading comparisons like this to "last year's raven's offense" is why I missed out on Andrews.  Yes I blame you.  In 2018, Lamar Jackson was thrusted into a starting role on a team that didn't fit his strengths and so they mostly just relied on his raw talent.  They rebuilt the offense around him this off-season, and we can say without a doubt even after 1 week that the offense is much less 1-dimensional now.  Mark Andrews was productive last year even in the 1-dimensional system.  I expect good things from him this year.  Full disclosure: No Andrews for me but I'm all in on Lamar.

If you read careful I didn't compare the offense, I compared his usage.  They can change the offense and that can open up more snaps for Andrews if they're throwing more.  But that doesn't change that Hurst and Boyle exist who are much better blockers and will impede his snap count.  Seems like after 1 week, this planned usage of Andrews hasn't changed.  If Andrews isn't getting the 90%+ share of snaps that guys like Kittle, Ertz, and Engram do, then he's going to struggle to break into that tier, he will still be productive though.

50 minutes ago, Illusion_J said:

If you read careful I didn't compare the offense, I compared his usage.  They can change the offense and that can open up more snaps for Andrews if they're throwing more.  But that doesn't change that Hurst and Boyle exist who are much better blockers and will impede his snap count.  Seems like after 1 week, this planned usage of Andrews hasn't changed.  If Andrews isn't getting the 90%+ share of snaps that guys like Kittle, Ertz, and Engram do, then he's going to struggle to break into that tier, he will still be productive though.

Don't the Ravens run a lot of 2 TE sets?

2 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Don't the Ravens run a lot of 2 TE sets?

They do, they recognize their strength at that position and seem intent on exploiting it.  And just to make things clear, I think Andrews will have a nice year, something along the lines of 800-850 yards seems like a reasonable projection.  But the abilities of Hurst and Boyle to block and also be effective as receivers (not to Andrews' degree of course) will get them both on the field quite a bit and sometimes to Andrews' detriment.  I think that would be the roadblock to saying Andrews could put up a 1000 yard season...then again John Ross just had 150 yards and 2 TDs last week, so clearly anything can happen in the NFL these days.

33 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

No practice today...commence freakout

What's wrong with him?

36 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

What's wrong with him?

TMZ supposedly has photos of him and Darnold making out at a club.

• Haha 7

Doesnt seem to be any cause for concern.  

FWIW I just googled him and read an article about how this game in Arizona is a homecoming for him.   Family and friends will be there.  Theres no way he doesn't suit up.

Patiently waiting 

Edited by affliction

22 hours ago, Funkenstein said:

Doesnt seem to be any cause for concern.  

FWIW I just googled him and read an article about how this game in Arizona is a homecoming for him.   Family and friends will be there.  Theres no way he doesn't suit up.

cool. 

but the game is in Baltimore. 

🙋‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

cool. 

but the game is in Baltimore. 

🙋‍♂️

Haha.  ok.  DOH!

Could have sworn i saw something about him "getting up for this one" and "family and friends watching".  i just assumed IN Arizona!

8/100/1 in each of his first two games. Looking like a potential stud at the position. Lamar Jackson is targeting him heavily. He’s a must start right now unless you own Kelce.

Edited by ponchsox

On 9/10/2019 at 8:41 PM, MJJ28 said:

Hockenson > Andrews. Not sure if you’ve seen his highlights, but they looked as good as any TE I’ve ever seen in my life. I would be surprised if he didn’t lead the team in receiving and finish as a top-5 TE. He truly looked incredible, and I’m an Andrews owner.

🙄

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, seadog54 said:

🙄

Glad I appear wrong since I own Andrews. Hope you are as fortunate!

• Like 1

Dude's a stud. I said it earlier in this thread that Lamar liked the TE at Louisville. Nothing has changed. Glad I got this guy.

I think he will be number on in points for TE's after two weeks. Right ahead of Kelce.

I lucked out with Kittle last year. It looks like I may have been lucky again this year.

5 hours ago, ponchsox said:

8/100/1 in each of his first two games. Looking like a potential stud at the position. Lamar Jackson is targeting him heavily. He’s a must start right now unless you own Kelce.

I own Kelce and got lucky with Andrews on waivers last week, I knew he would be a stud. Letsssss Go!!

Gosh I’m jealous I missed out on this train. Good luck to you all, Lamar loves him and he’s killing it out there

• Like 1

This feels real, and not just a hot start vs some hole filled defenses.      They haven't even faced a divisional opponent yet, and all three of those other AFC North teams are not exactly putting up much resistance to opposing offenses.      It also appears that Baltimore's defense is human.