J.T. Marlin

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

At this point the Penny hate and Carson hype have gotten so out of control, there's no way he doesn't return good value.

• Like 3

“I’m hoping to see him compete to be the best runner in the program – I want to see him be great,” Carroll said. “I’ve told him that a couple different times. He should be going for it in every phase of our game. He’s talented, he’s explosive, he’s in great shape. He’s the smartest he’s ever been, he can catch the football, his pass protection has improved. Every aspect of his game is at it’s best.

I have the highest of expectations for him and I would talk exactly the same way for Chris and let these guys have at it.”

In a great matchup vs the Bengals I don't think it's crazy to start him in deeper leagues.

I'm set to start Gore over Penny even though 100 percent of sites say I should do the opposite.

• Haha 2

It wouldn't have mattered. They both suck.

I'm trying to figure out if I should even hang onto Penny.

Penny played only 14/53 snaps to Carsons 41/53 and looks like he's pretty much a pure handcuff unfortunately. With that said I'm still willing to bet that Carson won't be able to handle a 300+ touch load so it's only a matter of time before I think the Penny lottery ticket pays off...or at least that what I've talked myself into.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

Penny played only 14/53 snaps to Carsons 41/53 and looks like he's pretty much a pure handcuff unfortunately. With that said I'm still willing to bet that Carson won't be able to handle a 300+ touch load so it's only a matter of time before I think the Penny lottery ticket pays off...or at least that what I've talked myself into.

I have the same logic lol

I would've liked to handcuff but Penny was taken. Carson's play style is so physical. And he doesn't just go down, he drags defenders piling on more hits to his body on the way. He got a RIDICULOUS workload both running and catching the ball, though, and I want to make sure I have this backfield locked up.

Just now, oresteszero said:

I have the same logic lol

Also the Seahawks only ran 53 offensive snaps which was bottom 3 week 1. I have to believe in most games they're around 65 snaps Penny will see more work, it's not like Carson can take 30+ touches in a game.

Just now, AJ92 said:

Also the Seahawks only ran 53 offensive snaps which was bottom 3 week 1. I have to believe in most games they're around 65 snaps Penny will see more work, it's not like Carson can take 30+ touches in a game.

It's only a matter of time before Carson breaks down again. It's bound to happen

20 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

It's only a matter of time before Carson breaks down again. It's bound to happen

IF it happens it’ll be a RBBC

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

Why? He’s probably the physically strongest RB in the league. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gohawks said:

IF it happens it’ll be a RBBC

You're not wrong. Gonna be a Penny/Prosise party. And by party I mean not a party.

• Haha 2

I watched Penny play live at SDSU. Rocky Long the coach absolutely leaned on this guy, the last game I watched was an absolute Penny show, over 200 yards, but granted it was college and Mountain West at that. But the dude can take a pounding, I've seen it live. I haven't actually watched any Seahawks games, so I'm not sure what he's looking like out there, but maybe it's just a lack of confidence at the pro level. I dropped him last night, because I am blinded by what I thought was excellence at the college level at least. I'll probably end up picking him back up.

I had Carson last year and while he did well every play I was biting my finger nails. He was also a game time decision for like half that season making setting your line up difficult. I told myself I’m staying away this year no matter what. Then the news of Davis leaving happened so to me grabbing penny in the late rounds was a no brainer. He’s a def hold and will have better days. It’s only a matter of time till Carson starts breaking down. Don’t drop him for at least a month.

I'll agree with the pro-Rashaad guys on the basis of Carson's fragility. But all I have to say is SEA's coaching staff empirically is loathe to put him in. 

Carson was nearly knocked out of the game twice after being looked at by trainers. In Week 1.

Yet he continued to be played on ensuing series. Ordinarily in a Week 1 this would be a great excuse to get your young backup in there and give the #1 the series off.

I'm not entirely sure if Penny would be a "3-down option" even if Carson went down for real.

Coaching staff does not appear to trust him imo.

25 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I'll agree with the pro-Rashaad guys on the basis of Carson's fragility. But all I have to say is SEA's coaching staff empirically is loathe to put him in. 

Carson was nearly knocked out of the game twice after being looked at by trainers. In Week 1.

Yet he continued to be played on ensuing series. Ordinarily in a Week 1 this would be a great excuse to get your young backup in there and give the #1 the series off.

I'm not entirely sure if Penny would be a "3-down option" even if Carson went down for real.

Coaching staff does not appear to trust him imo.

Its week 1. Give it time. Like I said Carson had so many injuries by the end of last year. Hip, knee, back etc. He was getting pulled in and out of series all the time. But I do agree Penny hasn't really shown much so far. Last year I def saw flashes but nothing consistent. So well see how it plays out. But the point is that you can't drop him yet.

• Like 1

Great handcuff, possible bye week fill in starter, seems l like a good hold

trending up, must hold at this point. risky  start though

Edited by altmin

If anything it reinforces he has some stand-alone value - obviously he got an extended look today due to Carroll's frustration with Carson's fumbles. I imagine if he takes advantage of the snaps he gets he has an opportunity to carve out more of a consistent role in this offense regardless of Carson.

He's good to own in a bye-week crunch for instance, since he will at least randomly be useful. Have to depend upon luck that he'll score the week you trot him out there.

I didn't see any of his carries but am certainly pleasantly surprised with his numbers today. Again - Carson's mistakes led to his reps today.