k.k.

Jorge Mateo - SS OAK

Didn't see a thread for Mateo. He's been raking and looks to be perhaps forcing his way onto the A's roster at some point this season. Sorry I don't have valuable scouting reports like some of the guys here who post in the MILB threads, but here's the latest blurb:

Athletics SS prospect Jorge Mateo went 4-for-5 with two doubles and a triple on Wednesday for Triple-A Las Vegas.

Mateo is off to a scorching start to the 2019 campaign with a .389/.405/.639 line over his first 36 at-bats. While that is obviously not a large sample, it's nice to see considering how much the 23-year-old struggled to begin the 2018 season. Mateo is an 80-grade runner who could steal 50-plus bases if he gets on enough, and he's shown flashes of an above-average hit tool with sneaky power from the right side. There's just as much risk as there is reward here, but Mateo definitely offers upside. If he keeps this up, he could get a chance to play a role with the Athletics this season.

Apr 12, 2019, 10:52 AM ET

Posted (edited)

Good stash.  Probably take an injury to Simien or Profar to be recalled.  

Edited by B&F

I owned this guy for like 2 years seemingly 4 years ago. Seems like he's been in the minors forever. I've always been a fan, but sadly one of our lazies owners randomly grabbed him earlier this year.

He has cooled a bit and that is expected with his sky high BABIP. He has brought down his K's and my understanding is that he was receptive to coaches in the spring. I believe he went through phases of not being coachable in his early 20s. I think his shortest path is through Profar if there are no injuries. It has been a very long road for those that have held him in dynasty and I am hoping he gets a shot in Oakland this summer. 

Khris Davis has been in and out of the lineup in recent days and was pinch hit for earlier tonight. An IL trip there seems imminent there, though I'd imagine next man up is Skye Bolt since he was just up for last weekend's series in Pittsburgh. 

There used to be a thread...not sure what happened to it. I posted in it, lol. 

I used to like him, but I personally don't believe he'll ever amount to much. Too few walks...to many Ks. 

Posted (edited)

Figure Franklin Barretto still ahead of Mateo or have they given up on him?

Edited by FantasyFiend

I used to own him and made the mistake of trading for him and it's not worth it.

There will be times where he'll be boom and be worth owning on your team and there will be times where he'll be a bust and will not be worth owning at all and there will be times when every team in your league will lineup to take there turn to own him for a week to week and half.

So move on and let this thread die because what I said is the truth and he's not worth nothing tell he's indeed in the major and there no need to discuss when that will happen because he's more likely will be in the time he's not worth nothing over the time he's worth something when that time come.

• Haha 2

With Profar struggling, only a matter of time here. Mateo has been RED HOT,. Hit his 10th homer last night to go along with 14 bags and is now slashing .335/.367/.586. He’s hitting 3rd in the LV lineup. Shouldn’t be too much longer, I can see him making a Laureano type impact from last year. 

4 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

With Profar struggling, only a matter of time here. Mateo has been RED HOT,. Hit his 10th homer last night to go along with 14 bags and is now slashing .335/.367/.586. He’s hitting 3rd in the LV lineup. Shouldn’t be too much longer, I can see him making a Laureano type impact from last year. 

Barreto is on fire too, already has 5 homers in June. I think he’s still likely to be in line ahead of Mateo.

23 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

I saw this write on Mateo.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/the-stash-6-9-the-top-10-hitting-prospects-to-stash/

Jorge Mateo, SS/2B, (Oakland Athletics) – ETA Early July

Jorge Mateo continues to roll on, grabbing another home run and a stolen base while batting .320 this past week. Mateo is on a 14-game hitting streak that includes eight multi-hit games.  Mateo is incredibly aggressive, leading to a paltry 4.3% walk rate, but has maintained his 5% strikeout reduction from last season, leading to a spike in his OBP. Jurickson Profar is batting .192 this season at second base in Oakland; Mateo would be an upgrade both over Profar at second base and over Marcus Semien as the team’s leadoff hitter. Mateo has little left to do in the minor leagues as this is his second full season in Triple-A and has managed to only improve his second time around.

I haven't been following what Profar has been doing lately other than knowing he sucked early on. but I see Profar has been hitting well lately. this is what Profar has been doing in June, 8 hits and 2 walks in 7 games, .308/.357/.538/.896.

I imagine it would take a really cold streak for Oakland to move on from Profar at this point.

does anyone think/know if the A's would move Profar to LF to bring up Mateo at 2B? who is the A's LF, Canha? Pinder? Grossman?

I did search and found this tweet, so I imagine it's unlikely.

Not sure of the exact archiving rules on the forums, but there used to be a Mateo thread.  It doesn't show up in search because it's been archived, and thus is not open for replies.

Just in case anyone wants a stroll down memory lane here.

15 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any updates on a call up?

Probably will take an injury to Profar, Semien, or Pinder.

Semien playing like an All-Star and Profar is heating up.