Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Carson Kelly 2019 Outlook

Checked for a thread, couldn't find one.  

He is killing it in May. KILLING it. I'm not dying to have this guy on a 12 team 1 catcher league, but wouldn't surprise me if he was a viable starter there very soon.  Was one of the top catching prospects not too long ago and is only 24.  Certainly should be owned in 2 catcher leagues and is stock in such is rising. This is also a guy the Dbacks traded Goldschmidt for. They want him to be their every day catcher if he can grab the job and produce. 

For someone who struggled mightily in April, he's already up to basically being a league average hitter on the year, which is quite valuable at catcher. In May, he's been elite, The sample size is prety pointless, but is' nice to see. Catchers take a while to develop. 

He's very intriguing in 2 catcher leagues and in dynasty leagues where the prospect fatigue has hit hard on him.  Even with his awful April, he's slugging 453 on the year, which I would guess would be top 5 in most years.

This has been your  notice for  BrockPaperSizer's Deep League Turd of the Week™

I hope you all enjoyed last week's edition featuring Garrett Cooper before he got injured after 1 PA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He is killing it in May. KILLING it. I'm not dying to have this guy on a 12 team 1 catcher league, but wouldn't surprise me if he was a viable starter there very soon.  Was one of the top catching prospects not too long ago and is only 24.  Certainly should be owned in 2 catcher leagues and is stock in such is rising. This is also a guy the Dbacks traded Goldschmidt for. They want him to be their every day catcher if he can grab the job and produce. 

For someone who struggled mightily in April, he's already up to basically being a league average hitter on the year, which is quite valuable at catcher. In May, he's been elite, The sample size is prety pointless, but is' nice to see. Catchers take a while to develop. 

He's very intriguing in 2 catcher leagues and in dynasty leagues where the prospect fatigue has hit hard on him.  Even with his awful April, he's slugging 453 on the year, which I would guess would be top 5 in most years.

I hope you all enjoyed last week's edition featuring Garrett Cooper before he got injured after 1 PA.

I've been keeping an eye on him, and a few others for my 2x catcher league. One of the problems with Kelly is who he plays for.  Arizona has 3.5 catchers on their 25 man and it raises the issue of playing time.  Kelly, Murphy, Avila (slated to return this weekend from the IL) and the recently acquired Swihart (won't catch much but any time there hurts Kelly).  Don't ask me why they carry all these guys but they do and it does limit PT.     Any thoughts on playing time moving forward?

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

I've been keeping an eye on him, and a few others for my 2x catcher league. One of the problems with Kelly is who he plays for.  Arizona has 3.5 catchers on their 25 man and it raises the issue of playing time.  Kelly, Murphy, Avila (slated to return this weekend from the IL) and the recently acquired Swihart (won't catch much but any time there hurts Kelly).  Don't ask me why they carry all these guys but they do and it does limit PT.     Any thoughts on playing time moving forward?

Eeek that is a lot of guys. There's no real point in a team cycling through 3 guys very often, let alone 4, so one will surely be moved somewhere be moved. Roster Resource has Kelly as the regular for now. Avila was terrible last year and is 32, but he was good for his 21 PAs before he got hurt. Murphy seems like nothing. 

If I had to guess Avila/Kelly share duties and whoever is hot pulls away for this year. Dbacks are rebuilding and I'm sure they want Kelly to be their catcher of the future, so if he shows himself to be that guy, he will be slated as such.

Catcher is a waste land so it might be worth picking up Kelly and see how the PT gets split up.  I don't believe Murphy has options left, and I know Swihart doesn't cuz that's why the Sox DFA'd and traded him.  He couldn't be sent down.  Maybe Murphy gets designated when Avila comes back. It's a crowded situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Bro. He is hardly killing anything..

• Like 1

"Killing it" must have an alternate definition that I'm not aware of. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

Bro. He is hardly killing anything..

5 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

"Killing it" must have an alternate definition that I'm not aware of. 

I said it was for a 2 catcher league if either of you bothered to read. 385 average in May.   On the year he's top 14 in slugging percentage for catchers and thats with a horrible start to the season. He's an interesting guy for deep leagues. If you don't play in them, that's fine.  I never came close to reccomending him as a starting catcher in 1 catcher 12 team formats, only said he could be potentially that down the line.  The bar to be a top 10-15 catcher in fantasy baseball is very low, and many of us play in leagues where 20-30 are owned and started every week.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

In my points league he’s 4th among catchers over the last 7 days and 13th over the last two weeks. OPS over 1.000 during both time frames. That’s blazing white hot for catchers this year. 

He's on the bench again tonight. It seems like they should ride the hot hand for a while. He's been hitting alright while he's playing. I don't know anything about the diamomback manager, but it seems weird to rotate 3 catchers. Especially when he was a main piece in the goldshmit trade. I was hoping that he would be a late round steel in our 2 catcher league. 

Posted (edited)

I am in a deep league with 2 catchers [...]

Can someone convince I should pick him up me even though it looks like AZ will be rotating three catchers?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content

Posted (edited)

The only thing I have to convince you to pick him up would be that there probably isn't anybody on the waiver wire with a chance of more upside than Kelly. [...] I would like to see what he could do if he actually got to play for a full week, or even back to back games. He never was able to get full time at bats in STL. because he was behind Yadi. He may take off if finally given a chance to play. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed response to deleted Bench Coach content

It's mind boggling that an MLB team would carry 3.5 catchers on its 25 man. 

Posted (edited)

Keep an eye on Carson these next few weeks.  Arizona FO just gave him a big vote of confidence in sending down their 3rd catcher, and he'll likely be a 60/40 split with Avila now, with Swihart as an emergency catcher if Avila injuries act up.  

This kid has a great approach at the plate, only 24 years old, and along with Luke Weaver, valued so high that Cardinals were able to get Goldshmidt via trade for him.  Carson was seen as the heir to the throne at C position once Yadier Molina retired, but Yadi continued to out-duel father time.  Many, many teams were pursuing Carson these past 3 seasons, seen as a valuable Catcher with strong bat skills, great work ethic, lots of confidence, and top prospect pedigree.

With the Catcher position so thin, a guy like Kelly may be able to help your squad, and not hurt you anywhere, unlike many other catchers that can put balls in the bleachers, but struggle to average above .200's.  Carson Kelly can bat above .250, possible .275 with 15 HR's.   He truly reminds me of a young Buster Posey and from his limited time I've watching him play this year, I've been seriously impressed, waiting for the D Backs to make a move like and get those training wheels off him.  I'd recommend keeping a close eye on him, and if he has a strong week, scoop him up quick.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 2

I picked him up in a 2x catcher league as soon as I saw they DFA'd Murphy.  Outside of a handful of players, catcher has been a wasteland this so far this season.

Hey guys. He's raised his batting average over a hundred points since my initial post, batting over 350 in that time. But yeah, crazy to suggest he'd be worth an add in two catcher leagues according to some.

Also looks like hq is tracking my rotoworld posts again.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hey guys. He's raised his batting average over a hundred points since my initial post, batting over 350 in that time. But yeah, crazy to suggest he'd be worth an add in two catcher leagues according to some.

Also looks like hq is tracking my rotoworld posts again.

Well done.  I added him last week and it's nice to see actual stats from my 2nd catcher.  Threads like this are what make this forum so helpful. 

• Like 1

Picked him up in my dynasty league since Beef Castillo is on the IL.  Been happy with him so far.

Posted (edited)

Lots of Yadi folks may be flocking this way...isn't it ironic, don't you think?

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1

Kind of bummed though that he has only started twice out of the last 5 games though.  I thought that on Monday that Avila got the start because he was going to be Greinke's personal cather, but then Avila got the start on Tuesday and tonight while Kelly gets the bench.

He hit a home run last night,  and back to the bench today.  I wish they would let this guy get consistent at bats so we can see what he can do. 

Love this kid.   He's got an understanding of the strike zone.   Even better he's got an incredibly simple swing which helps for catchers since they get beat up so much physically. 

He has been putting up good numbers when he plays. He has never had a chance to get full time at bats in his MLB career. If he does get more of a full time roll this season I believe he could end up being a top 12 catcher. He was a big prospect, I'd like to see what he can do if given full time at bats.