Sign in to follow this  
brockpapersizer

Carson Kelly 2019 Outlook

This guy starting to put it together a bit? 124 at bats 258 ba 7 homers and some nice counting stats. He also seems to be getting more starts lately. Surprised not more people are talking about him considering the state of the C position.

He should, and I stress should since it is the Dbacks and they carried 3.5 catchers for a while which is beyond idiotic, get more PT in the immediate future with last nights injury to Avila.

HR off of Scherzer last night gives him 8 on the year.

Who is left at C besides the injured Avila and Kelly now?  I know they got rid of that John Murphy dude a few weeks back.  Could be a great opportunity here.  Avila always takes forever to come back from injury.

I would say if he finally gets full time at bats, he will be the #1 catcher 2 out there in 2 catcher leagues. His upside is definitely worth a gamble as a low end catcher, or possibly end up a high end catcher 2. If he gets hot he won't last long on the waiver wire in a competitive league if he continues to get full time at bats like the manager said he would. 

6 hours ago, Beakman said:

HR off of Scherzer last night gives him 8 on the year.

Who is left at C besides the injured Avila and Kelly now?  I know they got rid of that John Murphy dude a few weeks back.  Could be a great opportunity here.  Avila always takes forever to come back from injury.

Technically Blake Swihart but he is on the IL right now too and Arizona said they weren't playing him at C for the time being.  I guess that made him the ".5" of dicka24's "3.5" catching cadre.

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's not even Top 5 in the NL

12 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

He's not even Top 5 in the NL

It's not so outrageous if they just let him be the starting catcher.  He's been pretty good with the starts he's been given, and at this point it's just silly to continue to have him split the starts with a guy who hasn't been any good since 2011 (outside of a good half of a season in 2017).

12 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Its only not controversial just because catcher is a wasteland, you can say anyone will be top 5 catcher and it wouldn't be a controversial take lol

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

Who is?

#1 JT Realmuto

#2 Y Grandal

#3 Wilson Contreras

#4 Jorge Alfaro

#5 Buster Posey

I left a gap in there for Carson Kelly to work himself into but to say he's already in there is stretching the truth. And to say he's Top 5 in the Major Leagues at the position..... What about the AL guys like Gary Sanzhez, Omar Narvaez, Christian Vazquez, and Mitch Garver??

You guys want me to believe that Carson Kelly has already proven himself to be put in the Top 5? I guess I am in the minority here but I don't see it right now. 

Edited by Cdub2k
  • Confused 1

Kelly 29/14/37 .273 .915 in 209 at bats

Alfaro 27/11/35 .264 .723 in 280 at bats

Posey 32/5/29 .260 .714 in 269 at bats

He’s definitely top 5 in the NL right now. Not top 5 in the league but he’s around 8-12 imo and I’d have no problem taking him as my catcher in a 10 man next year

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

He’s definitely top 5 in the NL right now. Not top 5 in the league but he’s around 8-12 imo and I’d have no problem taking him as my catcher in a 10 man next year

Came here to the exact same thing!!

Maybe Arizona's manager needs to read this thread too so he starts getting more than every other game starts.  I know I've said it already, but I have no idea while Avila plays anywhere near as much as he does.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Maybe Arizona's manager needs to read this thread too so he starts getting more than every other game starts.  I know I've said it already, but I have no idea while Avila plays anywhere near as much as he does.

Maybe cdub2k is the Arizona manager... and Al Avila is squarely in that big gap between Contreras and Alfaro!!

giphy.gif

I think it's safe to say Avila is squarely between crap and bat boy...

Posted (edited)

It's 2019.

4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I think it's safe to say Avila is squarely between crap and bat boy...

11 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Hopefully he comes at a bargain next season and is played more.

Edited by B&F

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ty5592 said:

Catchers im 100% drafting over Kelly next year. Sanchez, Realmuto, Contreras, Grandal

Catchers I'd consider drafting over Kelly next year: Will Smith, Garver, Sal Perez, D'Arnaud (lol, but kinda), Molina, Ramos,

I personally would easily draft Kelly over Posey and Alfaro 

Did I miss someone?  So 4 guys certainly in a tier above.  Excellent case to be made for Kelly at 5 honestly.  Will Smith, Garver, and Perez seem most interesting with Kelly.  I think it probably makes sense in snake to just wait after the first 4 to see who comes at a value, and if Kelly isn't a value to skip him, but if a ranking came out right now with Kelly as the preferred #5 catcher, I don't think that's crazy. D'Anaraud looks to be a sneaky value if he opens 2020 as Tampa Bay's starter with a strong finish. Ramos rough season I think makes him for a buy low next year.

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Catchers im 100% drafting over Kelly next year. Sanchez, Realmuto, Contreras, Grandal

Catchers I'd consider drafting over Kelly next year: Will Smith, Garver, Sal Perez, D'Arnaud (lol, but kinda), Molina, Ramos,

I personally would easily draft Kelly over Posey and Alfaro 

Did I miss someone?  So 4 guys certainly in a tier above.  Excellent case to be made for Kelly at 5 honestly.  Will Smith, Garver, and Perez seem most interesting with Kelly.  I think it probably makes sense in snake to just wait after the first 4 to see who comes at a value, and if Kelly isn't a value to skip him, but if a ranking came out right now with Kelly as the preferred #5 catcher, I don't think that's crazy. D'Anaraud looks to be a sneaky value if he opens 2020 as Tampa Bay's starter with a strong finish. Ramos rough season I think makes him for a buy low next year.

My 8-12 ranking was referring to this year. Next year he’s 6th or 7th on my way too early board. Sanchez Grandal Realmuto Contreras Smith d’Arnaud (If he stays with Tampa) are ahead imo. Garver is about even but I like Kelly a little more. He’s definitely ahead of Molina and Perez for me. There’s also Sisco (Bal) and Murphy (Oak) who could factor in. If I had to rank those two now I’d put them on Kelly and Garvers tier. 

13 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

They’ve got a platoon thing going on.

Kelly’s got some dramatic lefty/righty splits.

3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

They’ve got a platoon thing going on.

Kelly’s got some dramatic lefty/righty splits.

You are right about the splits, but it is not a platoon.  It has primarily been an even split between Kelly and Avila, aside from early this week when Kelly played two games in a row.  Kelly plays, Avila plays, Kelly plays, and so on.  I think the only time he will play in back-to-back games is when they are facing another lefty, like what I said about earlier in the week when Kelly played two games in a row (they faced Happ in the 2nd game).

Long term, hopefully Kelly can fix his dramatic split between LHP and RHP.  Marte had a pretty big issue with hitting righties prior to this season, and he put that firmly in his rear view mirror after about a month or so of the season.  Maybe he can help Kelly, but even with that, Kelly is still putting up some nice numbers for a catcher.