mavsfan23

Dylan Carlson OF STL

Poor guy doesn’t have a thread yet, and absolutely deserves one. He’s one of only 8 guys in AA currently that are 20 years old or younger, and posting a 120 wRC+. That continues his streak of not having a sub-100 wRC+ at any level yet and being young for his level along the way. 

In 31 games at AA this year he has 4HR, 5SB, 7 doubles, and two triples. Icing on the cake is a 10.6% walk rate and 19.9% K rate. Looks like he could be tapping into the power that was previously lacking. I think he’ll be a big riser on prospect lists. 

Homered for the 3rd time in 4 games today. Season line now at 291/363/544.

Seems like an underrated prospect to me. He doesn’t have any super loud tools, but you look deep and there’s really no weak spots in his game. He’s got good plate discipline, the power is really developing well, he’s a decent runner. He’s playing CF now - probably won’t stick there but he’ll be a good corner OF. And he’s only 20 and in AA. He was a regular starter in MLB spring training and held his own, even homered off Edwin Diaz. And all the scouting reports praise his makeup and how he’s mature beyond his years.

I don’t know if he’ll rocket up lists or not but I want him on my team either way.

The Fangraphs guys were strangely high on him before the year began and now we're seeing why. He was already a guy to watch but if he keeps this up he'll shoot into the top 100, maybe top 50 since some evaluators were waiting for this breakout. 

Another bomb tonight. I think he's safely well inside the top 100 by now.

• Like 1

Named to the futures game.

Only 20 in AA and producing a real solid line at .280/.363/.493.  He also has 10 homers and 11 steals.  Along with an 11% walk rate and 18% K rate.  

Not quite as good as Colby Rasmus was when he was 20 at the same level/team/park as Carlson is, but still pretty good.  In 2007 Rasmus hit .275/.381/.551 at 20 in AA and was the #5 prospect the next spring (also hit 29 homers and had 18 steals.)

He's also 6'2" 205 so more power could come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

He’s hit 2 hrs in July already. Leads all of AA in runs and leads Texas league in XBH. Switch hitter that’s hitting well from both sides. 11 for 11 in steals so far this year. Only 20 yrs old.

Edited by Helms

Key thing to remember is he hasn't faced the juiced ball yet at AAA/MLB.

Could put up Ozuna like stat lines for the Cardinals in a couple of seasons (strangely Ozuna has learned effective baserunning, stealing 10 in 86 games, only getting caught once), so the comparison seems even more appropriate.

• Like 1

Colby Rasmus 2007 age 20 in AA Springfield vs. Dylan Carlson 2019 age 20 in AA Springfield (normalized to Rasmus' 556 PA)

Rasmus: 556 PA .275/.381/.551 with 29 homers, 18 steals, 70/108 BB/K (started the next year as the #5 prospect)

Carlson: 556 PA .283/.366/.523 with 24 homers, 21 steals, 59/113 BB/K

18 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Do you guys think there is any chance he gets a cup of coffee this year? 

I guess anything is possible, but it will also likely depend on how much they think he can be one of their starting OFs next season (even if they manipulate his service time first).