brockpapersizer

Corbin Martin 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Ace_King said:

He was the #78 prospect on Baseball America and #81 on MLB. So he isn't Whitley but he isn't some scrub. 

How does he compare to other Houston pitchers? Miley has had success this year. Peacock has been up and down this year but succeeded as a starter in 2017. Morton was a JAG until he went to Houston. Is he comparable to these guys in terms of talent? Better? Worse?

His potential is an sp2 but probably more mid rotation. I have some Miley shares in deep leagues because of Astros but he's a back end rotation guy.  There will be ups and downs but Martin is very talented. Peacock has been dominant at times, but is also someone the Astros have been quick to make a reliever. I have no idea what Peacock's role will be in a few months or a year so he's very hard to compare anyone to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Common with rookie pitchers, but also think the Astros were saving bullets so he could pitch more innings in the majors. 

That, and they unfortunately weren't going to let him go beyond 90 since he never had, whether I agree with it or not (I don't).  It doesn't mean he won't get to throw 100 at some point.  Maybe even in a couple of games when they feel he is stretched out a bit more.

Add me to the list of people thanking you for Corbin Martin.  I doubt I would have had any idea who he was or that he was being called up if it wasn't for this thread and your first few posts in it.  It's been a rough season so far, so it's nice to at least get a positive thing here and there.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

His potential is an sp2 but probably more mid rotation. I have some Miley shares in deep leagues because of Astros but he's a back end rotation guy.  There will be ups and downs but Martin is very talented. Peacock has been dominant at times, but is also someone the Astros have been quick to make a reliever. I have no idea what Peacock's role will be in a few months or a year so he's very hard to compare anyone to. 

As a real life SP, I assume? What do you project as his ceiling as a fantasy SP and his most likely outcome. If he can be even a reliable top 40-50 SP he will turn a profit as a waiver addition.

I second KillorWertz. If it weren't for you Brock I wouldn't have added him in two of my three leagues. One is a super deep league with no start limits where even a top 100 SP has value.

8 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

As a real life SP, I assume? What do you project as his ceiling as a fantasy SP and his most likely outcome. If he can be even a reliable top 40-50 SP he will turn a profit as a waiver addition.

I second KillorWertz. If it weren't for you Brock I wouldn't have added him in two of my three leagues. One is a super deep league with no start limits where even a top 100 SP has value.

He sure does have potential to be a guy to draft 25-40 overall in sp one day, but a lot of guys do. For this year he's pretty league dependant. In a shallower league I get going with a hot hand more, and if Martin goes cold and there's someone enticing sure, drop him. I think in a standard league there's a lot of potential here for wins and decent strikeouts that I think he should be valued at the very least a top 90 arm for as long as he starts for and upside for much better. 

• Like 1

Big fan but benching this week, hoping I am wrong about it.................

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

This Kool-Aid taste great but I don’t wanna drink it.

36 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

It's nice that his next start is later in the week.  I'd 100% be benching him if it was any earlier.

I can see benching him but want to note Texas isn't chopped liver. They lead MLB in runs per game (Boston is 4th).

"I'd like to tempter expectations but can't"

classic, might use for my signature...

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 4:16 PM, MrBrown said:

His next start is in Fenway, unfortunately.

I have found that having a lot of patience and using your brain and common Sense wins a lot of championships that has been mine experience anyway but I can't say that once in awhile I do throw in the occasional WTF go for it so I'm starting them at Fenway

1 hour ago, bugkilla said:

I have found that having a lot of patience and using your brain and common Sense wins a lot of championships that has been mine experience anyway but I can't say that once in awhile I do throw in the occasional WTF go for it so I'm starting them at Fenway

I actually think he might pitch well.

7 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I actually think he might pitch well.

It wouldn't be crazy if he did.  Still, I can understand people being hesitant to start him, especially since J.D.'s power is awake.

I'm about 40/60 on starting him right now, but it could change.  It will be a great test one way or the other.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Anyone starting tonight? 

Yes and not thinking twice. Has enough talent to at least give Red Sox hitters trouble. Biggest issue tonight will be his control I think. 

31 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Yes and not thinking twice. Has enough talent to at least give Red Sox hitters trouble. Biggest issue tonight will be his control I think. 

You're not wrong, but even if his ratios end up not being the greatest, he's in a great position to get a win with the Astros' offense being red hot right now.  Not scared of them facing Velazquez at all.

5 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

You're not wrong, but even if his ratios end up not being the greatest, he's in a great position to get a win with the Astros' offense being red hot right now.  Not scared of them facing Velazquez at all.

He's just an opener.

Marcus Walden has been the getting the Bulk work when he starts. Who has 5 Wins already thanks to a 1.46 ERA and 0.69 WHIP with an over 30% K rate 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He's just an opener.

Marcus Walden has been the getting the Bulk work when he starts. Who has 5 Wins already thanks to a 1.46 ERA and 0.69 WHIP with an over 30% K rate 

Did not know that, but Walden will only be in there a few innings at most anyways.  I'll downgrade my projection from great to good, as they could still get to Velazquez early or the rest of Boston's bullpen, which really isn't that special.

11 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

Not great vs. Boston, but expected.

Should have better luck vs. the White Sox. 

I’m afraid he needs to or his audition is over.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1