Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

.394 OBP stands out. I took the jump and made an add. He had a very nice run in late April while sporting a hitting streak, and had his OPS over 1.000 at one point around then. He could stick in the OF with a team like CLE, too.

Yesssssssssssssssss

Ss

S

Ss

5 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

is he supposed to get everyday ABs ROS?  or is this just a short term thing?

From a RW blurb:

He's expected to take the roster spot of Tyler Naquin (calf). Mercado has earned the promotion by putting up a .294/.396/.496 batting line with four home runs and 14 stolen bases for Triple-A Columbus. He has elite speed and has consistently put up big steals totals in the minors, making Mercado a viable target in fantasy leagues. The 24-year-old is primarily a center fielder but has played all three outfield spots. He should see regular playing time.

• Like 1

I scooped up in numerous leagues... I has a feeling when I read Tyler Nyquin was going to the DL 

210 minor league SBs. Caught stealing 84 times, but he seems to have shown improvement. 14/17 this year.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

[...]

what kind of ceiling are we looking at for Mercado? Is he Mallex Smith with a better hit tool?

id say in an everyday role, .260-.270 with 7 home runs and 20 steals the rest of the way. 

• Thanks 1

With the scarcity of steals out here, he is a must-add in every league. In a full-season I would see him as a 10-15HR and 25-30SB player with solid average (~.280)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think if the opportunities are there (ergo: he can get on base regularly enough) and the Indians are OK with it, he'll run a lot. He stole 50 in 2015. I could see a 40sb player if he can cut down on the CS.

Should get steals.  Not a lot of competition for OF PAs in Cleveland. Has potentially to me a much better 5x5 player than real life.  

• Like 1

Wish this guy was landing somewhere other than Cleveland.  Put him on the Yankees' and he would have been stashed for months...

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Wish this guy was landing somewhere other than Cleveland.  Put him on the Yankees' and he would have been stashed for months...

There are much worse places to be

Like poor Vladdy

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

It's basically the same situation.  By numerous measures Toronto and Cleveland are the two worst offensive clubs in the AL...
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/OPS/order/true

Cleveland is just in a rut. They have great players who are all slumping.

Vladdy's the only guy on his team.

Edit: ok only a few great players

Edited by pushaZ

5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

It's basically the same situation.  By numerous measures Toronto and Cleveland are the two worst offensive clubs in the AL...
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/sort/OPS/order/true

The difference is I don’t want a guy who needs to count on RBI production to be on a crap team.

I’ll take a SB guy on a crap team. He may run more in an attempt to manufacture runs. It may enhance his value in some sense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pushaZ said:

Cleveland is just in a rut. They have great players who are all slumping.

Vladdy's the only guy on his team.

Yes better but not by much IMO.  From a fantasy perspective only Lindor, Ramirez, and Santana that are rosterable in a 12 team league.  That's pretty weak...   

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The difference is I don’t want a guy who needs to count on RBI production to be on a crap team.

I’ll take a SB guy on a crap team. He may run more in an attempt to manufacture runs. It may enhance his value in some sense.

Fair enough...

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The difference is, i don't want the guy going up against NYY, TB, BOS rotations instead of DET, CHW, KC 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

The difference is, i don't want the guy going up against NYY, TB, BOS rotations instead of DET, CHW, KC 

Which is a different discussion than the one we’re currently having, but ok

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Which is a different discussion than the one we’re currently having, but ok

The start of this discussion was about the guys on crappy offensive teams. Sorry if you're having trouble keeping up. 

Posted (edited)

Going to a crap organization where he’ll likely lose random at bats to old a** men.  Cleveland doesn’t seem to have a good hitting climate right now.  They couldn’t/can’t do anything with young bats it seems.  Yandy immediately goes to Tampa and learns to hit for power, Bauers been awful, can’t seem to get JoRam adjusted, Zimmer was garbage etc.  Hopefully he can figure it out on his own because he likely won’t have much help.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

The start of this discussion was about the guys on crappy offensive teams. Sorry if you're having trouble keeping up. 

Right. So...AL East rotations. Got it. 😂