Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

48 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

(600 AB Pace... as a RC) 

300/ 105 / 21 / 75 / 27             He hasn't even shown his true speed yet. Between Lindor & J-Ram, he's got a very bright future! :wub:

That is if they ever bump Ramirez back up to the 3-hole, although he has a very bright future regardless, and I imagine that is the top 3rd of the order next season regardless.

1 minute ago, Big League Choo said:

This guy an AL ROY candidate?

Candidate, sure.  Yordan Alvarez, John Means, and Brandon Lowe are good candidates as well.  It'll come down to how they close out the last 60 games

• Like 1

Anyone think he sticks in the 2-hole ROS? If so, he's a safe bet to return middle-round value IMO.

This guy is a young stud and he is definitely in the mix for ROY.

Buy high if you can, especially in keepers!

I think he’s batted 2nd in 48 of his 54 games.  No reason to think that will change.

• Like 4

OF15 over the past 30 not counting today's dong.  Lindor setting the table ahead of him, Santana, Puig, and Ramirez to drive him in.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Definitely liking what I am seeing from him, but I will always continue to hope he starts running more consistently at some point.  Maybe not until next year.  The Indians definitely like to run.

Not out the question he is a top 75 pick next season.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, KilloWertz said:

Definitely liking what I am seeing from him, but I will always continue to hope he starts running more consistently at some point.  Maybe not until next year.  The Indians definitely like to run.

Why is he not then? Just because J-Ram has heated up? Guess he hasn't got on base quite as regularly either.

The power's been a nice suprise though. Definately looks like a 20-20 guy over a full season, and they don't grow on trees anymore.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, B&F said:

Not out the question he is a top 75 pick next season.

Agree.  He could have sneaky good value next year. 

10 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Why is he not then? Just because J-Ram has heated up? Guess he hasn't got on base quite as regularly either.

The power's been a nice suprise though. Definately looks like a 20-20 guy over a full season, and they don't grow on trees anymore.

I can't answer that question as I've repeatedly wondered that myself on here.  He's gotten almost all of his SBs in 2 or 3 short spurts this season, which makes it even more puzzling since he's also been pretty successful the rare times he runs.

As for getting on base, he's been a bit inconsistent of late.  He'll have a huge game or two, and then do very little the rest of the week.  Obviously there's very little concern with him long term, and it's hard to complain too much with his overall production so far.

As much as I like Mercado, I think it might be time for a little time on our benches.  2-23 in his last 5 games after another 0-fer tonight (0-5).

I'm not going to go crazy and cut him, as there's too much potential that he's already shown, but I've had enough of the lack of anything right now.

Talk about a kick in the nuts.

Tribe scores 19 and I think Mercado somehow contributed and broke out of his slump. DNP.  Oh and his replacement Greg Allen had the game of his life.

18 hours ago, B&F said:

Talk about a kick in the nuts.

Tribe scores 19 and I think Mercado somehow contributed and broke out of his slump. DNP.  Oh and his replacement Greg Allen had the game of his life.

Allen is actually a name to keep an eye on, he came up as a really good prospect. He is a ++ defender and has ++ speed. He came up with zero power potential, but he hit a homer a couple nights ago (not last night) that was a mammoth blast. Is the power developing? If it is and his hit tool progresses he could easily push for some playing time. I think there is room for both in the OF, with Reyes at DH, Puig, Mercado, Allen and Naquin is actually a pretty decent group of 4, with some + defenders in the mix. If Zimmer ever returns then Cleveland has depth (that's not even counting Luplow who at least looks serviceable as a righty platoon guy)

While I understand giving Allen another start after doing what he did last night, this isn't great for Mercado's short term value (at least).  He's been in a decent length slump, and Allen is now possibly red hot (if he follows it up tonight).

It's not like Mercado was having a bunch of awful ABs (aka striking out a ton) during this, so I don't think he's all of a sudden become a bench player, but I knew something had to give eventually if he didn't get it going soon.  Unfortunately that opportunity might not present itself right now if Allen keeps going, but I also don't think benching Mercado for even a decent length of time is exactly the best idea either.  Unfortunately it's either keep stashing him or move on, but I'm trying to keep stashing Mercado as I still believe he has an extremely bright future (evident by what he was doing before this cold streak).

Posted (edited)

For your purposes, in a redraft league it's hard to hold onto Mercado, but should probably do so because the Allen star could fade quickly. Still, Allen has some exciting tools. Mercado does too as well, I think Tito is rolling the hot hand. 

In a dynasty league you do not even think of dumping Mercado and right now I still have Mercado graded higher than Allen in dynasty even though I do like what Allen can bring to the table.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

For your purposes, in a redraft league it's hard to hold onto Mercado, but should probably do so because the Allen star could fade quickly. Still, Allen has some exciting tools. Mercado does too as well, I think Tito is rolling the hot hand. 

In a dynasty league you do not even think of dumping Mercado and right now I still have Mercado graded higher than Allen in dynasty even though I do like what Allen can bring to the table.

Allen is a solid enough player.  He showed that near the end of last season (I remember since I picked him up and used him a decent amount late), which is why I was surprised when he became a complete afterthought at the start of this season.

Still, Mercado has the much brighter future.  Allen is fine if you have a stacked OF otherwise, but Mercado is still obviously the more complete player.  I'm in a keeper league and was considering Mercado as one, but obviously as of right now that could be in jeopardy.  If he can get his full-time ABs and lineup spot back and finishes the season strong, then things would be different.  In a keeper league with a limit on how many you can keep (like 9 in my league), Mercado could easily be gotten back in the draft if the season ended today.  We just have to see how things go from here.

Yea Killo-Our league we keep who we want, so a different animal. For a league with smaller number of keepers, yea you are right no need to keep him.

4 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Yea Killo-Our league we keep who we want, so a different animal. For a league with smaller number of keepers, yea you are right no need to keep him.

Well, good for you. 😉

Seriously though, like I said, he could enter the conversation again if he finishes the season pretty strong.  Like I also said though, we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

This dude is turning out to be one of the streakiest hitters in the majors but goddamn when he's on he's ON. 

Three hits, dong, 3 rbi, 2 steals and a walk today - a little taste of what he offers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

This dude is turning out to be one of the streakiest hitters in the majors but goddamn when he's on he's ON. 

Three hits, dong, 3 rbi, 2 steals and a walk today - a little taste of what he offers.

You are not kidding.  Hopefully he's able to be slightly less streaky next season.  I know everybody goes through slumps, but his last one was bad enough that he probably came close to losing his job to Greg Allen.

Glad I held onto him though.  Maybe Allen's mini-hot streak helped a bit too.

He's only 24 so he could add some additional power as he ages, I think he's got 25-25 upside.  I agree with the above, he's hot then he's cold (start singing), but overall the numbers are there.

His xStats aren't great, but he's one of those guys that looks like he could easily add some exit velo on his swing in the upcoming years. Eye test type of guy for the future. 

Also:

Senzel: .268/.325/.445, 10 HR, 10 SB

Mercado: .285/.333/.456, 10 HR, 11 SB