Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Right. So...AL East rotations. Got it. 😂

I can't wait to be educated. Please, do tell me why I'd rather have a guy on a s---y offense going up against NYY / BOS / TB rotations instead of DET / KC / CHW 

• Haha 1

Took a shot and added him everywhere. 

Why not? If he is terrible you throw him back. Francona knows how to manage and if the kid has wheels the CLE Offense needs a jump start. In the AL Central no less, I'll take a shot.

25 SB's/.270 and decent counting stats the rest of the way? That would be perfect!

All I know you can’t steal second base unless you can get on first ... first. 

So, Oscar let’s do it 

Cleveland didn't wait for the super 2 so you know they brought this kid up to help them. They still believe they can win the division but their offense needs help. Cargo and Leonis Martin are both hitting .221. If Mercado performs he will stay up. If he doesn't hit the ground running hopefully they give him time to adjust.

At worst he needs to be the everyday RF if they still want to start Martin.  I know Mercado is a natural CF, but I'd expect them to give up on their RFs before they gave up on Martin (because of what happened to him last season and also his defense).

In deep leagues even if he doesn't play every day but receives regular at bats he is a huge asset.  

Probably a lot of pinch running opportunities to steal bases.

I don't see any reason for them not to play him everyday.  They don't have a single OF on the team that really deserves to block Mercado from an everyday starting role, and I really don't see any reason to call him up otherwise.  I can understand them not playing him today, but they hardly used the last OF they had up that could have filled that role (Greg Allen).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's pretty clear he will get a chance to start while Naquin is out. Given the state of their outfield, I would say he has a good chance to stick. I would say he's a must-add type of player simply because of the fantasy upside he carries with his toolset, and then you hope he hits the ground running.

9 minutes ago, nlm said:

I think it's pretty clear he will get a chance to start while Naquin is out. Given the state of their outfield, I would say he has a good chance to stick. I would say he's a must-add type of player simply because of the fantasy upside he carries with his toolset, and then you hope he hits the ground running.

I would say must add in 14+ team leagues or deeper 12 teamers...

12 minutes ago, nlm said:

I think that he's starting regardless of what happens with Naquin. They didn't call him up to watch CarGo fail miserably, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I think that he's starting regardless of what happens with Naquin. They didn't call him up to watch CarGo fail miserably, 

As do I, but a lot of people in here seemed to be concerned.

16 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Going to a crap organization where he’ll likely lose random at bats to old a** men.  Cleveland doesn’t seem to have a good hitting climate right now.  They couldn’t/can’t do anything with young bats it seems.  Yandy immediately goes to Tampa and learns to hit for power, Bauers been awful, can’t seem to get JoRam adjusted, Zimmer was garbage etc.  Hopefully he can figure it out on his own because he likely won’t have much help.  

Good point, it does make you wonder what is going on with their hitting coaches. Hopefully he can hit the ground running and not need coaches advice lol.

15 hours ago, shakestreet said:

All I know you can’t steal second base unless you can get on first ... first. 

So, Oscar let’s do it 

That's the kind of analysis we love on here.

If he gets on base at a high clip is there any chance of a leadoff role in future? As Lindor shouldn't be leading off anymore with his power. That said hitting power might give Oscar more opportunities to steal as their only good hitters are before him.

24 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Good point, it does make you wonder what is going on with their hitting coaches. Hopefully he can hit the ground running and not need coaches advice lol.

That's the kind of analysis we love on here.

If he gets on base at a high clip is there any chance of a leadoff role in future? As Lindor shouldn't be leading off anymore with his power. That said hitting power might give Oscar more opportunities to steal as their only good hitters are before him.

Nope.  Lindor is strictly a leadoff hitter.  While I find it hard to believe, they have tried him in the middle of the lineup is the past and it didn't go well.  I would have to believe over a big sample size, he'd be fine, but Mercado doesn't have to leadoff anyways.  Kipnis continues to bat 2nd, so in other words, they have no #2 hitter.  That slot would be perfect for Mercado.

• Like 2

read somewhere that francona said during the game that this was just intended to be a short term call up....i didnt see it myself.

5 hours ago, herschel said:

read somewhere that francona said during the game that this was just intended to be a short term call up....i didnt see it myself.

1:35

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"This could be short term."  Sounds like if he hits he could stay, but the window would seem to be pretty short.

Well at least they plunked him on the 4th AB to save him from the shame sombrero.

24 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

Not in lineup tonight. This is fun. 

He looked so bad the other night...manager had no choice