Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

it's really unbelievable that they'd call him up to sit behind retreads like cargo and leonys martin.  but that's where we're at.  looks like an easy drop at this point.  

• Like 1

Out of the Hiura, Riley, Mercado, Lopez, Calhoun, Rodgers prospect fest some of us chose Mercado 

RIP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

I think he is only going to play against lefties. 

Well that's just dandy...at least he'd be pairable with the likes of a David Dahl... #shootmenow

2 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Out of the Hiura, Riley, Mercado, Lopez, Calhoun, Rodgers prospect fest some of us chose Mercado 

RIP

I was hoping for some speed off of the bench at the very least. Giving it a day or two, but as a guy who isn't playing, I don't care how much potential he has in the SB department... just a big dud so far. I hope he gets in the game tonight and can at least swap a bag or something.

• Sad 1

The Indians are about to face a run of three straight lefties, so he should have a good chance to make a few starts in the near future.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

smh...mercado bats better against righties than lefties. 

2019 minor league splits:

Split            G  PA AB R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TB GDP

vs RHP as RHB   31 108   89 26  6  1  3        13 14 22 .292 .411 .483 .894 43   1
vs LHP as RHB   16  37   34  9  4  0  1         2  2 13 .265 .324 .471 .795 16   0

Edited by michaelai3

In all fairness to everybody who picked him up (I missed out, or so I thought), there was no way of knowing that Francona would be dumb enough to keep running out their rejects over a legit prospect that has legit upside to produce over an extended period of time.  If I was the GM, I would walk down to the dugout and punch Terry in the balls if his idea is to only play Mercado vs LHP...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

In all fairness to everybody who picked him up (I missed out, or so I thought), there was no way of knowing that Francona would be dumb enough to keep running out their rejects over a legit prospect that has legit upside to produce over an extended period of time.  If I was the GM, I would walk down to the dugout and punch Terry in the balls if his idea is to only play Mercado vs LHP...

You don’t think CarGo is going to carry them to the World Series? 

Indians outfielders last night : 0-12 with 6 Ks

There is an opportunity at the very least.  Let's see what he does with it.

batting 9th today ... at least he's playing

6 minutes ago, jb_power said:

batting 9th today ... at least he's playing

If he plays every day and produces he will still be a huge fantasy asset no matter where he bats in the order.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, B&F said:

If he plays every day and produces he will still be a huge fantasy asset no matter where he bats in the order.

ummmm....but he doesn't, and not for the foreseeable future. You can pretty say this about any *bench* schlub, "yeah, if he plays he'll be a huge asset". 

Edited by michaelai3

Impressive game today. Looked atrocious in his 1st game 0/3 3Ks just couldn't hit anything. But today showed good contact skills and good plate discipline drawing a walk too. Also of course showed off that blazing speed. Really did his best to audition for that lead-off spot 

Indians have the worst outfield in the majors. Give this kid a shot to play everyday or send him back down.

10 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Impressive game today. Looked atrocious in his 1st game 0/3 3Ks just couldn't hit anything. But today showed good contact skills and good plate discipline drawing a walk too. Also of course showed off that blazing speed. Really did his best to audition for that lead-off spot 

If Francona knew what he was doing (roll with it since he doesn't), he'd be batting 2nd.  Lindor is always going to be the leadoff hitter.

If Mercado sits tomorrow since it'll be a RHP, then Francona is easily in the Top 3 dumbest managers in MLB.  Something has to give in their OF given none of them are hitting good enough.  A few HRs from Luplow doesn't change the fact that he's Jordan Luplow. Still, if he wants to play him, then CarGo or Martin have to sit.  Neither of them are a long term answer to anybody's OF unless their offense is stacked (in regards to Martin because of his defense), so if they both play enough to keep Mercado from starting against RHP, then there's no hope for the Indians this season.  I know it sounds a bit much given Mercado isn't a Top 20 prospect, but he still has plenty of potential for a team that has almost no offense anymore.

Hitting 333 with a 1.056 OPS

Buy if you still can, the SBs are on the way

Was caught stealing today but actually had second base stolen easily. Unfortunately after sliding in, his hand came off the bag and was called out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Still a caught stealing . I also think Francona knows a hell of a lot more about running a baseball team than anybody here.

4 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Still a caught stealing . I also think Francona knows a hell of a lot more about running a baseball team than anybody here.

He made negative comments after Mercardo's first game which he was terrible, since then Oscar has been one of the best hitters on the team. With Naquin out for a while Oscar will get an extended look and end up with some ROY votes before it's all said and done 

3 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

He made negative comments after Mercardo's first game which he was terrible, since then Oscar has been one of the best hitters on the team. With Naquin out for a while Oscar will get an extended look and end up with some ROY votes before it's all said and done 

Hope you’re right but I just want to see the kid get a fair shot at it. He’s only drawn starts against lefties thus far, right? CarGo needs to be DFA’d and Mercado needs to be a full time CF, but that assumes the Indians make a good baseball decision, and lately I haven’t seen a lot of that from them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Hope you’re right but I just want to see the kid get a fair shot at it. He’s only drawn starts against lefties thus far, right? CarGo needs to be DFA’d and Mercado needs to be a full time CF, but that assumes the Indians make a good baseball decision, and lately I haven’t seen a lot of that from them.

Todays start was vs. Righty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1