Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

15 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Oscar likes being in the 2-hole...2/4 with a dinger today.   Hopefully this is the production needed to convince Tito to keep him at the top of the order.  But then again, it’s Tito...

It’s also Oscar

• Like 2

2nd day in a row in the 2-hole. Got on base via error but then stole his 1st base. Then he hit a ground ball single his 2nd time up and stole another base. Time to pick him up if you haven't already with the dearth of quality stolen base guys out there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Looking like what we wanted mallex Smith to be.

I'd give this guy  more pop potential than Mallex 

I'm quickly falling in love with this pickup.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

2nd day in a row in the 2-hole. Got on base via error but then stole his 1st base. Then he hit a ground ball single his 2nd time up and stole another base. Time to pick him up if you haven't already with the dearth of quality stolen base guys out there.

He should be long-gone in most competitive leagues by now. I was lucky to nab him (literally) the second the blurb about his callup came through. But I agree, in a league where steals are evaporating, this guy could be a big help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nlm said:

He should be long-gone in most competitive leagues by now. I was lucky to nab him (literally) the second the blurb about his callup came through. But I agree, in a league where steals are evaporating, this guy could be a big help.

Only 11% owned on yahoo. 

• Like 1

The last two games at the plate have definitely been fantasy appealing. He has the 1 homer last night, and the 3 runs scored with 2 swipes today. 

The defense today vs. Boston was pretty bad and was really showing his young age. He misplayed a hard hit line drive by Mookie they ended up turning into a triple. A couple innings after that, a ball hit off of the wall, hit his glove and went over for JD. 

He still is one of the more exciting guys they have going in the lineup right now, so I doubt that would be a huge factor if he continues to hit like he has so far. Fantasy wise we thankfully don’t take into account defense, but just something that was obviously very rough today for the kid.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, buzzkilloton said:

Only 11% owned on yahoo. 

That's absurd. He's 44% on Fantrax, but they have a lot of dynasty leagues and there's tons of prospects in their database. I think the keeper/dynasty leagues add to the ownership % a bit.

It's long past time we all take a trip to the Super Mercado and pick us up some fantasy wins...multi cat stud in the making...

• Like 2

Some rest of season steals projections:

ZiPS: 17, Steamer: 12, Depth Charts: 14, THE BAT: 8

With the exception of maybe ZiPS, these all seem really low.. he should by all accounts destroy these projections, no?

• Like 1

Just now, smeeze said:

Some rest of season steals projections:

ZiPS: 17, Steamer: 12, Depth Charts: 14, THE BAT: 8

With the exception of maybe ZiPS, these all seem really low.. he should by all accounts destroy these projections, no?

Absolutely with Tito giving everyone the green light at this point trying desperately to manufacture runs. 

That's one of the many problems with analytic sites.  They just bury their head in metrics and fail to look at the bigger picture like growth and learning curves and, in this case, the context of Cleveland's approach with hitting now as Tito tries to squeeze runs out of a sucky line-up by going all in on small ball.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

40 steals ROS bank it

I would sign up for that, unfortunately i am thinking that might be a little optimistic 

Ill say 25.

["Percent owned: useful or not?" derail removed.  Some people find percent owned useful in assessing the market value of a player.  Some don't.  If you don't, you are more than welcome to discuss that in a general purpose thread.  What you're not welcome to do is hound people to stop using it any time it comes up in a player thread just because you think it's not useful.]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More please.

His defense shouldn't be an issue moving forward.  He is a good defensive outfielder.  Good enough to play center.  Can't explain what happened last night though.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Looks lost at the plate lately. How long of a leash does he have before he is “hiura’d”?

To be Hiura’d he needs to hit 3 bombs in his next 5 games and raise that average to .300.  Then they’ll send him down for some bum.

In all seriousness though I think his mlb leash is pretty long, they don’t have many options

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

To be Hiura’d he needs to hit 3 bombs in his next 5 games and raise that average to .300.  Then they’ll send him down for some bum.

In all seriousness though I think his mlb leash is pretty long, they don’t have many options

I will just take a couple steals at this point. 

They should keep in the lineup for two weeks and then reevaluate even if he is 0-4 with 3Ks every game.  I get they are trying to win but benching him after every bad game is too much pressure.  See if he can figure things out.  

A lot of his value is his defense in center.  Martin isn't holding his own right now.

• Like 1

I think he still needs to be owned in standard 12-team 5 OF roto leagues, at least among teams with a SB deficiency, since he was getting looks in the 2-hole and has SB upside, but I don't blame anyone from moving on in shallower formats.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, B&F said:

They should keep in the lineup for two weeks and then reevaluate even if he is 0-4 with 3Ks every game.  I get they are trying to win but benching him after every bad game is too much pressure.  See if he can figure things out.  

A lot of his value is his defense in center.  Martin isn't holding his own right now.

Agreed.  While he's fallen flat on his face after starting out really good (coincidence that it started right after I traded for him?), they need to just keep marching him out there.  I understand a day off here and there during a slump, but today will be his 2nd in just under a week.

In reality, they aren't making the playoffs even if the team things they have a chance.  They have too many injuries to their pitching staff, too little hitting talent after their lineup got gutted, and Jose Ramirez will all be the major reasons why they miss the playoffs for the first time in a little while.  Well, all that plus the Twins of course.  Basically, what I'm getting at is they have nothing to lose by just letting Mercado work through this.  He did good enough in the minors to make me believe this isn't the real Mercado long term.

Still, right now I wouldn't blame anymore either for being extremely frustrated with owning him.  His main contributions should be in average, runs, and steals.  He's scored plenty of runs, but that's been it of late.  Now his playing time is kind of being messed with.  Still, I'm sticking with him as, like I said, I don't believe this stretch is the real Oscar Mercado.  It would be nice if he would get it going soon though before Terry gets tempted to drop him in the lineup and take away his biggest contribution so far.  He's entitled to a rough stretch after starting off hot (well, after his first week or so), and that's directed towards owners and Terry Francona.