Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

dropped him - roster crunch and he had to go - I was hoping for steals and got exactly 2.  May be a long term hold, but not when you are in it to win this year. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just when the hour appears darkest the light returns 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

El Maestro, aka Terry Francona, and his love affair with Mr. Kipnis strikes again! Play the kid every day you moron!! 

Edited by Sonny_D

9 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Pretty much.  I didn't play him because he didn't start, but the silver lining is the HR gives hope that a pulse is returning,

Not that I was close to considering cutting him like a lot of people seemed to be, but maybe that's because I would like for him to end up being a keeper for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

Buy-low window is rapidly closing 

Pretty much.  It was a pretty frustrating/disappointing stretch for him, at least for me since it occurred pretty much right after I traded for him, but he's definitely awake again.

Now all he has to do is start running again since he's already a solid 4-category contributor.  Maybe 3 at the very least as I don't see him hitting multiple HRs in a week quite yet, but that's fine if he can hit around .300 since he's already an elite contributor in Runs now that he's regular batting 2nd.

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to be able to scoop him up after being dropped, w/ light came power this week...very exciting, now let the kid run!

Clutch hit last night, hopefully that buys some additional brownie points with Tito and he gives this kid an extended run.

7 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Clutch hit last night, hopefully that buys some additional brownie points with Tito and he gives this kid an extended run.

I think his job and lineup spot are both pretty safe for now.  I think it would take an extended slump like the mini one that ended about a week ago for there to be any issues with playing time or being dropped in the lineup.

No, he's not running like he should be yet, but he's been solid enough otherwise so far.

• Like 1

He's built like a twig. If even players with his build are trying to hit for power rather than focusing on speed, then I do worry.

SB's are getting more rare each year. Now MLB managers have realised the value of the steal is low, should fantasy leagues start binning the cat in future?

Guys like Modesi and Mallex are becoming hugely valuable because of one skill, which just isn't justified given their overall hitting skill.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, swfcdan said:

He's built like a twig. If even players with his build are trying to hit for power rather than focusing on speed, then I do worry.

SB's are getting more rare each year. Now MLB managers have realised the value of the steal is low, should fantasy leagues start binning the cat in future?

Guys like Modesi and Mallex are becoming hugely valuable because of one skill, which just isn't justified given their overall hitting skill.

Mondesi has more than one skill. He hits the ball hard, will hit double-digit HRs, is hitting .283, and has 82 R-RBI. Sure, be strikes out too much, walks too little, and has an OBP that’s too low, but one-skill guys aren’t top 10 fantasy players in mid-June. 

• Like 1

This guy has been raking, and stealing bases is he for real? Should he be added

8 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

If in need of steals then the answer is unequivocally yes.  Otherwise still a yes but not as strong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Feel like he should have been added in any format already.  He’s hitting just like he was in the minors.  Now pacing ~20hr/25sb for a full season with solid avg/Obp and keeping k’s in check enough not to worry.  I see his rock continuing to rise as the year goes on and the hope would be he becomes what we all thought Manuel Margot would be after his rookie year.  

17 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

Yes and Yes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I haven't been more excited about a true speed guy in a loooong time!!!

Someone said he was a "twig"...lol, umm not even close. Most "twig" SB guys are the Gordon, Dyson, etc... Oscar is a man child comparatively, has tons of room to grow into his frame (@ the detriment of SB's, so plz don't do that kid...), and has legit power unlike most "speed" labeled players. I saw an oppo taco he hit not long ago that made me rewind and watch multiple times. It was just a smooth swing in a clutch moment that carried well over the fence... it was beautiful! Lastly, dude has been nothing but clutch, he's thrived in big moments that normally are too much for young guys.

IMHO, the speed is about to come in a big way, like 5-6 bags in a week... since he's yet to really start stealing bags (2 in last couple days, but only 4 total) you still might have a window to scoop him from an owner less savvy. I absolutely love this kid, and hitting in the #2 hole behind the best SS in baseball never hurts! BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbossman said:

Dark horse ROY 

That's going to be rough given how he has less than half of the ABs of a regular.  Obviously some rookies don't have as many ABs as a regular, but he's well behind.

Don't get me wrong though.  I think he's going to be very solid the rest of the way, and it's great to see the SBs finally starting to come.  They could start to pile up now that he's actually run in 2 straight games.

• Like 1

color me intrigued.  so there a spot for him everyday?  can't afford to roster a guy in a platoon.

He can definitely develop more power down the road given his lean frame.. for anybody in Dynasty/Keeper formats, we are looking @ a possible 4/5 cat guy down the line (if he continues to improve obviously). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

color me intrigued.  so there a spot for him everyday?  can't afford to roster a guy in a platoon.

Yes, he plays everyday.  Own him and enjoy...

Could be Trea Turner in the outfield with fewer steals.  That is his ceiling probably.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

He can definitely develop more power down the road given his lean frame.. for anybody in Dynasty/Keeper formats, we are looking @ a possible 4/5 cat guy down the line (if he continues to improve obviously). 

That’s a good way to put it... “lean”. 

He’s got wiry strength and is tall enough to get good leverage. Most guys who’ve put up huge MiLB SB’s fit the shorter/skinny profile and routinely bring one category to the table. Hamilton, Dyson, M. Smith, Gordon, Etc... you know what your going to get, SB’s. You pay a premium for their rarity, and pray they don’t kill you in other categories, let alone not hit enough to stay atop, or even in the lineup daily. 

I’m a believer, I’ve watched a ton of his AB’s, and I feel if things break right, we’re talking Turner/Mondesi/Merifield “light” kinda player. A guy who at years end puts up very respectable counting stats, and contends annually for the SB crown. He’s no Punch and Judy slapper, he hits the ball hard! 

Edited by LarryChip10

5 minutes ago, B&F said:

Could be Trea Turner in the outfield with fewer steals.  That is his ceiling probably.

Lol, beat me to it by a smidge! Kudos lol

Posted (edited)

Cleveland has the 5th most stolen bases and today is beginning a 4 game series vs. Texas who is last in the majors in catching base-stealers.  Time to grab Mercado and corner the market on stolen bases (see what I did there).

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 4