Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

42 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

I feel like he's more of a Starling Marte

Nailed it.

24 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Buy high while you still can

I already did.

2 more bags and a CS in the last few days, which is actually a good thing! Run run run my man. And a couple more knocks in todays game, along w/ a sac bunt. (which managers love when executed!) 

I feel like once he settles in, gets comfortable w/ both the catchers arms,  and the pitchers moves... the bags are going to come in bunches. For those that haven't looked, or don't realize, he’s got 209 MiLB stolen bases. That’s no joke, he’s even better than you think and just tapping into his power and potential. I’m smitten, he’s the sleeper of 2019 and most owners who don't have shares are going to say WTF by years end! 

Oscar for Prez 2020 lol ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Four ABs.  0 Ks

spacer.png

Edited by B&F
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Mercado has played exactly 162 games in Triple A.  A nice simple way to look at his overall game and numbers. He batted .281 with an obp of .358.   He hit 12 homers and stole 51 bases.  He scored 109 runs and had 65 ribbies. 

Given that his power appears to be on the rise I think we could be looking at a future fantasy stud.  Like many have said the window is closing and you need to pick him up asap.   

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Love this kid!  I have watched every at-bat in this Rangers series, and yes his performance should be taken with a huge grain of salt given how awful Rangers' pitching is, but the one thing that stands out besides his speed is that he simply hits the ball hard.  He has gap power not necessarily evident by his milb HR numbers.  Not sure what his exit velocity would be, but this isn't some slap-hitting speed guy just looking to get on base....he is looking to make contact and do damage.  Buy especially in leagues that count SLG%, because he will turn a lot of routine singles into doubles and triples with his power/speed combo.  By the way on the CS last night, that was a fluke.  He beat the throw by a mile but his hand slipped off the base and Andrus made a great veteran tag on him.  He will continue to steal bases at will moving forward (that is, when he isn't hitting for extra bases).

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

^Thanks for posting about the caught stealing last night. I was curious how that happened and if he just got a bad jump or what. Before I went to research his sb success rate in the minors I came to this thread to see if anyone had watched the game. I’m loving that I snagged this kid in my keeper league! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

^Thanks for posting about the caught stealing last night. I was curious how that happened and if he just got a bad jump or what. Before I went to research his sb success rate in the minors I came to this thread to see if anyone had watched the game. I’m loving that I snagged this kid in my keeper league! 

I was wondering how he caught too, it didn't seem possible! In seriousness the kid has adapted very well so far and even starting to draw a few more walks, which aint easy for a speedster (B-Ham and Mallex still can't do it). Playing on a team needing all the offense they can get has it's advantages too, run wild like the wind Oscar!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What's up with Oscar? Hasn't homered since June 17th and hasn't stolen a base since June 18th. 

Edited by smeeze
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, smeeze said:

What's up with Oscar? Hasn't homered since June 17th and hasn't stolen a base since June 18th. 

Bit of a slump the past two weeks.  Pitchers have adjusted to him now let's see if he adjusts back.

• Like 1

Good news is he has cut down his Ks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Bit of a slump the past two weeks.  Pitchers have adjusted to him now let's see if he adjusts back.

Stress the bit part there.  He's still been hitting fine for the most part, but their offense has been struggling again of late, which obviously hurts Mercado some (can't score if people behind you aren't hitting).  Still, the lack of HRs and SBs is basically on Mercado.  Not sure why he only runs in spurts so far, but he's still very intriguing regardless.  I'm eyeing him as a keeper in my league.

14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Stress the bit part there.  He's still been hitting fine for the most part, but their offense has been struggling again of late, which obviously hurts Mercado some (can't score if people behind you aren't hitting).  Still, the lack of HRs and SBs is basically on Mercado.  Not sure why he only runs in spurts so far, but he's still very intriguing regardless.  I'm eyeing him as a keeper in my league.

Doesn’t everyone run in spurts, though?

Just now, BMcP said:

Doesn’t everyone run in spurts, though?

True.  Some still run more often than others, but in Mercado's case he's basically run in one very short burst and then a couple of rare games before then, which is actually at least slightly rare for a guy who's been very successful the few times he's chosen to run (and with his speed).

Maybe in time, even if it isn't this season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been very happy with Mercado's performance in a 5OF league I own him in... that said, I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't expect more SBs going in. The pop has been a nice surprise though. Toss in the fact that he doesn't seem to strike out much... I expect good things to come.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kramjam24 said:

Hoping he can turn it around after the all star break 

Same here.  I don't see them moving him out of the #2 spot anytime soon, but if he doesn't get it going, then it wouldn't be a surprise and that would kill his value since for whatever reason he hardly runs.

With that said, I expect him to be just fine.  This isn't the first time he's hit a rough patch.  I remember he had a similar stretch right after I traded for him, and then he went off and became a guy that got talked about plenty (frequently being mentioned as a prospect call-up that was flying under the radar).

I sense they gonna give him a month to figure it out, so pressure is on.

On 7/7/2019 at 11:37 PM, DJSatane said:

I sense they gonna give him a month to figure it out, so pressure is on.

Tito sticks with his young guys.  He did with a then terrible early Dustin Pedroia.  And unless they make a big trade for a CF, who do they put in to replace him?  Nay, barring a block buster trade Mercado is here to stay.

That glove in center has a lot of value.  Yes defense matters in fantasy.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:36 AM, KingJoffrey said:

He's walked twice in the last 10 days.  I'm staying cautious.  Picked himup because I need the speed.  But I'm not expecting this to continue.

Well, you deserve a cookie for correctly predicting he was going to slump. 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Well, you deserve a cookie for correctly predicting he was going to slump. 😉

I've watched all of his games, he's trying to hard, he just needs to relax. He doesn't want to get sent back down, no player does.

The game has sped up on him, as soon as thing start to slow back down, like how he was playing when he first got called up.

he'll be fine, there's a scouting report on him now, he knows what the pitchers are trying to do to him, he'll need to adapt, and I'm

sure he will, he's going through what all rookies go through, he's pressing, when he figures it all out, he will be dangerous once

again, just my opinion.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Topgun said:

I've watched all of his games, he's trying to hard, he just needs to relax. He doesn't want to get sent back down, no player does.

The game has sped up on him, as soon as thing start to slow back down, like how he was playing when he first got called up.

he'll be fine, there's a scouting report on him now, he knows what the pitchers are trying to do to him, he'll need to adapt, and I'm

sure he will, he's going through what all rookies go through, he's pressing, when he figures it all out, he will be dangerous once

again, just my opinion.

I don't disagree with you.  My only complaint with him so far since he's been called up, which I know I've already said in here, is he hasn't run enough.  Basically only in a handful of games.  Otherwise I've been pleased and definitely wouldn't be doing something crazy like cut him.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

I don't disagree with you.  My only complaint with him so far since he's been called up, which I know I've already said in here, is he hasn't run enough.  Basically only in a handful of games.  Otherwise I've been pleased and definitely wouldn't be doing something crazy like cut him.

I cut him a week ago I’m my 12 man team, no one has touched him, I think he will have a good career, but for fantasy purposes in a re-draft he is not a definite hold.