Backdoor Slider

Oscar Mercado 2019 Outlook

13 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

I cut him a week ago I’m my 12 man team, no one has touched him, I think he will have a good career, but for fantasy purposes in a re-draft he is not a definite hold.

I agree if you can stash him then he's as good as any prospect stash while he plays but for those churning to make the playoffs he is a drop or a trade for a more reliable bat or arm for that matter...

5 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I don't disagree with you.  My only complaint with him so far since he's been called up, which I know I've already said in here, is he hasn't run enough.  Basically only in a handful of games.  Otherwise I've been pleased and definitely wouldn't be doing something crazy like cut him.

My understanding is, he's doesn't have the green light, he'll have to earn that, that's my opinion.

1 hour ago, Topgun said:

My understanding is, he's doesn't have the green light, he'll have to earn that, that's my opinion.

He should have earned it during his nice stretch on the basepaths in mid-June.  Granted his last attempt was a caught stealing, but only because he slide off the base, so that shouldn't have been held against him or anything for getting the green light (it happens to a lot of players).

Not saying you're wrong.  Just saying what should actually be by now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Has been terrible for awhile now. Does he still have a really long leash? 

I think it's getting shorter by the day.I think he should be sent down, so he can work on his issues,

hard to do that at the major league level, if he goes down, I'm sure he'll be better , and more

consistent player when he returns.

Edited by Topgun

4 minutes ago, Topgun said:

I think it's getting shorter by the day.I think he should be sent down, so he can work on his issues,

hard to do that at the major league level, if he goes down, I'm sure he'll be better , and more

consistent player when he returns.

Might not be the worst idea, but honestly they have nobody else to put there other than maybe Greg Allen, so I can see why they are trying to let him work through his struggles up here.  I'd give him another week or so before I'd consider the demotion anyways, as this has only been truly bad for about a week's worth of games (right before the break and now).  He was hitting .314 not that long ago.

Posted (edited)

[...]

Now, I see him usefull as long as he stays in #2 slot, something I fear wont last, with todays game though he definitely bought himself safety net to stay there for at least next 2 weeks...

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DJSatane said:

[...]

Now, I see him usefull as long as he stays in #2 slot, something I fear wont last, with todays game though he definitely bought himself safety net to stay there for at least next 2 weeks...

I'd say the only way it doesn't last is if he falls into another slump and somehow can't get out of it.  I know Francona loves to put Kipnis up there when Mercado doesn't play (a horrible #2 hitter, but whatever), but Mercado has been there for quite a while now, so I can definitely see him sticking there for the rest of the season.  If they bump Ramirez back up, it would be back to his usual 3rd spot in the order.

Lookin forward to his production next year for sure...he will have outbursts of brilliance...He's a gamer...if you have the patience get him but next year he puts it together more consistently w more green lights...

In a 15 team league with OBP I've been flirting with trading Choo (to full other needs) and replacing him with Mercado (on my bench). That should give you a sense of how I value him. He's not as good as Choo, but he's close. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Athebaby7 said:

I can see him being a 20hr 25sb guy in his prime.

Agreed. And who knows with the juiced balls these days..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dfstout said:

Lookin forward to his production next year for sure...he will have outbursts of brilliance...He's a gamer...if you have the patience get him but next year he puts it together more consistently w more green lights...

Yeah, next year could be pretty interesting for owning Mercado.  I'd imagine Jose Ramirez would be back up to 3rd, and he should be back to normal, so obviously batting in between Lindor and a good Ramirez is almost as good of a spot as you can get for a player like Mercado (solid average, solid pop, and obvious speed.

That's not to say he won't provide solid value the rest of the way this season.  His first extended slump seems to be over, which means he should go back to be a solid source of batting average and runs at the very least.

If Jose Ramirez starts heating up for real like he has been the past few days, Mercado's value goes way up

• Like 4

Holy cow massive game tonight. Dude has been killing it over the past little while.

• Like 1

And he definitely deserves this after tonight...

th-6.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm getting a vintage Grady Sizemore vibe with less walks.  If he stays in the 2-spot between Lindor leading off and either Santana or hopefully JoRam, this could be a big 2nd half for him.  I think a final line of .275/.330 with 15-15 is reachable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I'm getting a vintage Grady Sizemore vibe with less walks.  If he stays in the 2-spot between Lindor leading off and either Santana or hopefully JoRam, this could be a big 2nd half for him.  I think a final line of .275/.330 with 15-15 is reachable.

I’m hoping he can reach close to 25 steals. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Shut your mouth lol

4 hours ago, Topgun said:

Shut your mouth lol

No, you shut your mouth. 😉

I actually don't think the comparison or the projection is too bad, although I expect the average and OBP to be higher by the end (especially with him basically at .300 right now).

• Like 1

(600 AB Pace... as a RC) 

300/ 105 / 21 / 75 / 27             He hasn't even shown his true speed yet. Between Lindor & J-Ram, he's got a very bright future! :wub:

• Like 2