The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Remember when the “smart move” for the Nats was to shut down Strasburg in the playoffs because they had a young core of stars and a large window to compete? Lol

Brewers should be focusing on winning now, when they can. Playing for the future is foolish.

^^^^^

This.  Moustakas to 3B, Hiura to 2B, and Shaw to 1B.  And just scrap the whole Thame/Aguilar platoon nonsense.  

Edited by Goatstain3
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

I know it sucks he was sent down but the Brewers arent a team that can be in "Win Now" mode every year, they have to think ahead or theyll be screwed. If this truly is about service time (And it sure seems like it) then it just may be a smart move for a small market team.

*Ducks*

We all get the financial component but the Brewers are a very good team now. Who knows what they will look like in 5 years.  

• Like 1

So is fair to presume that even if they lose 5 more in a row and Shaw/Aguilar keep Shawing and Aguilaring they still won't call him up?

21 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Reddit delivering

wL4cq6dl.png

This pic was fantastic.  Thanks for posting it, hailtoyourvictor.

Also shows that teams can't pull the wool over the eyes of fans like they used to and "spin" things for the locals that easily anymore in the cyber age.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RoadApple said:

I know it sucks he was sent down but the Brewers arent a team that can be in "Win Now" mode every year, they have to think ahead or theyll be screwed. If this truly is about service time (And it sure seems like it) then it just may be a smart move for a small market team.

*Ducks*

Wait..... you say that the brewers aren’t a team that can be in “win now” mode every year and then back that up by supporting them trying to still be in “win now” mode in 5 years? 

Quite contradicting....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RoadApple said:

I can definitely see this side of it but the Brewers payroll is significantly less than even the Nats. Also the Strasburg thing was about the long term health of a player not money.

I get where youre coming from though, the window can be small.

Which makes it less likely for the brewers to maintain this core of Yelich/Cain level players 5 years from now. They should be cashing in now not playing service time games with their stud rookie.

• Like 3

Another big game in AAA tonight.  2 for 5 with a HR.  He did strike out three times though.  Still, I think he’s a great stash for now.  He has 17 HRs and 6 SBs between majors and minors this year. This guy is the real deal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Wait..... you say that the brewers aren’t a team that can be in “win now” mode every year and then back that up by supporting them trying to still be in “win now” mode in 5 years? 

Quite contradicting....

Not at all what I said. 

By Adding another year of controllable salary it MAY allow them to be in "Win Now" mode again in the next few years.Its a gamble on their part for sure and I'm not saying I 100% agree with it but I think its life for the smaller market teams.

If Hiura comes back up,rakes and the Brewers end up missing the playoffs by a game or two then the gamble didnt pay off and all of the outrage will be even more justified.

Edited by RoadApple

17 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Not at all what I said. 

By Adding another year of controllable salary it MAY allow them to be in "Win Now" mode again in the next few years.Its a gamble on their part for sure and I'm not saying I 100% agree with it but I think its life for the smaller market teams.

If Hiura comes back up,rakes and the Brewers end up missing the playoffs by a game or two then the gamble didnt pay off and all of the outrage will be even more justified.

It’s already justified 

• Like 1

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

It’s already justified 

Which is why i said "Even More" justified. I get the outrage, especially since I'm assuming you're a Brewers fan.

From a fantasy perspective he was probably dropped in some leagues which may allow some people to grab him if they didnt get him the first time (Like myself).

Ho hum, two more HRs last night, making for 15 on the year in 45 games in the minors. The Brewers sure look like geniuses here.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, phily915 said:

And "Here(a)" I thought he'd been promoted, sigh

Well someone in the minor league forum thought that he might soon now that 10 days has passed but I'm not sure if that satisfies the whole "service time" issue because I am not Einstein.

Meanwhile, like I said in his minor league forum thread that most people never go to here, Rotoworld Blurb Guy is so upset over the situation he used the word "darn" today:

Fri, Jun 14

Brewers 2B prospect Keston Hiura went 2-for-5 with two homers on Thursday for Triple-A San Antonio.

Advice: Hiura has now homered 15 times in 45 games with the Missions, and he's now slashing .331/.399/.706 over 163 at-bats at the minor league level this year. This is just a friendly reminder that Hiura can flat-out hit, and that his demotion to the minors didn't have a darn thing to do with his current baseball ability. He should be back with Milwaukee as an everyday player in the coming weeks, if not days. Hang onto him.

(Rotoworld.com)

Rotoworld Blurb Guy is pissed too!    :angry:

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anybody have any idea when his Super 2 deadline might be? Like when the brewers feel safe enough to bring him back up without having to worry about that?

1 hour ago, radioflyer9 said:

Anybody have any idea when his Super 2 deadline might be? Like when the brewers feel safe enough to bring him back up without having to worry about that?

That's hard to predict but I think he should be back on the 20th for the home series against the Reds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

Most teams feel June 1 is pretty safe. Hiura was called up on May 14th, but has been sent down another 11 days since. So even if he got called back up today, you could rough that out to be called up on May 25. That's pretty safe (meaning he could be recalled today and he'd probably be fine), but another week would start to fall in the ultra safe territory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

That's hard to predict but I think he should be back on the 20th for the home series against the Reds.

Based on??

I think it’s going to depend more on the brewers giving up on Shaw.  If he starts playing well, it could be a while 

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think it’s going to depend more on the brewers giving up on Shaw.  If he starts playing well, it could be a while 

Not necessarily.  If they continue to get crap production out of Aguilar/Thames, they could always move Shaw to 1B, Mous to 3B, and have Hiura play 2nd.  

5 hours ago, Jericho said:

Most teams feel June 1 is pretty safe. Hiura was called up on May 14th, but has been sent down another 11 days since. So even if he got called back up today, you could rough that out to be called up on May 25. That's pretty safe (meaning he could be recalled today and he'd probably be fine), but another week would start to fall in the ultra safe territory.

I think it is more the middle of June.  Not June 1st.  And end of June to be really really safe.  Honestly I don't know anyone called up as early as June 1st ever.

And pretty safe doesn't cut it.  if you  are holding off on someone you don't gamble a few million dollars on losing the year of arbitration by thinking it is "pretty safe."  You want to be super safe.

So middle of June plus the time Hiura was already up (listed as appearing in 17 games, don't know how many other days he was up with being on the bench say) pushes his date back to end of June I'd think.

Plus the Brewers started Hernan Perez again at 2B. I know Shaw is returning from injury and semi-platooning with Perez, but this is just embarrassing

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think it is more the middle of June.  Not June 1st.  And end of June to be really really safe.  Honestly I don't know anyone called up as early as June 1st ever.

And pretty safe doesn't cut it.  if you  are holding off on someone you don't gamble a few million dollars on losing the year of arbitration by thinking it is "pretty safe."  You want to be super safe.

So middle of June plus the time Hiura was already up (listed as appearing in 17 games, don't know how many other days he was up with being on the bench say) pushes his date back to end of June I'd think.

Here's the actual cutoffs the last several years:

• 2018: 2.134
  • 2017: 2.123
  • 2016: 2.131
  • 2015: 2.130
  • 2014: 2.133
  • 2013: 2.122
  • 2012: 2.140
  • 2011: 2.146
  • 2010: 2.122
  • 2009: 2.139

Source: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/super-two-cutoff-mlb-2018-2019.html

Basically if you have less service time than listed above, you are *not* Super 2 eligible for that year. If someone is called up on June 1, they'd get about 120 days of service time. That would leave them short of Super 2 status every year, though admittedly it may be a bit too close for comfort on a few of the years (2017, 2013, and 2010). But it would be a safe date 10/10 times based on historical context

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Here's the actual cutoffs the last several years:

• 2018: 2.134
  • 2017: 2.123
  • 2016: 2.131
  • 2015: 2.130
  • 2014: 2.133
  • 2013: 2.122
  • 2012: 2.140
  • 2011: 2.146
  • 2010: 2.122
  • 2009: 2.139

Source: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/10/super-two-cutoff-mlb-2018-2019.html

Basically if you have less service time than listed above, you are *not* Super 2 eligible for that year. If someone is called up on June 1, they'd get about 120 days of service time. That would leave them short of Super 2 status every year, though admittedly it may be a bit too close for comfort on a few of the years (2017, 2013, and 2010). But it would be a safe date 10/10 times based on historical context

Thanks but I have no idea whatsoever what 2.134, 2.123 etc means.  It looks like someone trying to figure out pi but off by a full digit.  Isn't there a list of "dates" in plain English for past years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3