Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Now would be a good time for him to go beast mode.

I agree. Shaw has been awful but he’s got a track record and I’m just not convinced that the Brewers are ready to hand the position over to a rookie. At least not yet.

Edited by DFWSooner

5 home games this week. 2 games against the Reds, 3 against the Phillies.

Reds probables are Sonny Gray and Luis Castillo so could be tough. We will see how he fares. 

6 for his last 16, batting 5th with Yelich out of the lineup, haters nowhere to be found.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

6 for his last 16, batting 5th with Yelich out of the lineup, haters nowhere to be found.

10 strikeouts in 28 at-bats with only one walk. That’s over 33%. Small sample but he’s got to really stand out to not get sent back down.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

10 strikeouts in 28 at-bats with only one walk. That’s over 33%. Small sample but he’s got to really stand out to not get sent back down.

.286/.355

Now do Shaw (and consider Shaw’s presence forces Moose to play out of position). 

Guy strikes out a lot for being known for his hit tool.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deke said:

He was literally just called up. Do you expect every prospect to be Trout? Give it time. 

1 minute ago, JaJock said:

He was literally just called up. Do you expect every prospect to be Trout? Give it time. 

Guy struck out a lot in the minors for being known for his hit tool.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deke said:

No he didn't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deke said:

23% k rate in the minors is a lot?  Or are you just looking to be a wet blanket for the sake of being one?

3 minutes ago, cizastro said:

23% k rate in the minors is a lot?  Or are you just looking to be a wet blanket for the sake of being one?

Yes it is. 28% in AAA plus the majors. And add 3 more today.

2 minutes ago, Deke said:

Oh, so you're cherry-picking the numbers to make your stance logical.  I got it.  Didn't realize we were doing that.  Well in his first AB of today he hit a HR so therefore he's Babe Ruth because he's hit a HR in every first AB on this date.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Deke said:

What do you define as a lot? What level would you call normal, and what level would be good?

16 hours ago, cizastro said:

Oh, so you're cherry-picking the numbers to make your stance logical.  I got it.  Didn't realize we were doing that.  Well in his first AB of today he hit a HR so therefore he's Babe Ruth because he's hit a HR in every first AB on this date.

Wait, I was the first to make a comment on it, so how exactly could I be cherry picking when it was my point to begin with? I included more relevant numbers - I don’t care what he did in single A two years ago. 

If you don’t think he strikes out a lot, then you’re not logical. People defend these call ups like it’s their child. Facts are facts. 

31 minutes ago, Deke said:

Wait, I was the first to make a comment on it, so how exactly could I be cherry picking when it was my point to begin with? I included more relevant numbers - I don’t care what he did in single A two years ago. 

If you don’t think he strikes out a lot, then you’re not logical. People defend these call ups like it’s their child. Facts are facts. 

His sample in the Majors is awful so far, for sure, but hes a guy through his stops in the minors who showed a good ability to handle the zone and adjust. He was actively lowering the K rate in AAA in his 13 May games before the call up and the sample so far in the majors is too small to draw any real conclusions from but hes shown a great ability to keep bat to ball at all other stops with a K rate that was around 20%. Another contributing factor seems to be that at AAA he was selling out for power as a conscious decision where in the other levels he was working much more bat to ball and contact approach. The sell out for power more than likely would adversely effect the K%.

Ill be curious to see if this approach keeps up or not. Its probably a bit too soon for either side to be claiming to be right on this topic in reality. But while facts are facts, the overall body of work for the player is not one that paints a picture of a free swinging hacker, the only way we get clarity is through time. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Deke said:

You look at everything. Prospect pedigree, minor league numbers, adjustment ability, etc. Everyone knows the more recent k% spike is something to watch, but looking at it with a grain of sugar so to speak is justified considering he literally had the 2nd best hit tool in the minors and if not for Vlad would have had the clear cut number one hit tool.

21 hours ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

For who?  Travis Shaw's return?  He is up to stay.

17 hours ago, Deke said:

Everyone strikes out a lot these days.  Strikeouts are no longer the big no-no in the age of lift angles used to defeat fielding shifts.

17 hours ago, JaJock said:

Also this.  And call-ups sometimes try and do too much and swing at too many balls in an effort to prove that they can hit and are MLB worthy.  Happens all the time.  Also good example with Trout in another way.  He didn't exactly have a good start in the majors.

Travis Shaw looks to be about a week away. Really getting nervous the Brewers will send Hiura down. Hopefully Shaw moves to first. Otherwise this is troubling.

Posted (edited)

People are really complaining about a rookie who is slashing .273/.333/.455 in his first 8 games?

Come on, folks.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor
  • Like 4

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

People are really complaining about a rookie who is slashing .273/.333/.455 in his first 8 games?

Come on, folks.

A lot of it isn't complaining. Hiura is going to be a star. I think there's little question about that. It's just when he'll make his full impact. Mike Moustakas signed a one year deal with the Brewers. If the Brewers see a future for Shaw at 3B (with Hiura at 2B in 2020), once Moustakas leaves this offseason, they're not going give up on him completely after back to back 30 home run seasons. Meaning, Hiura has to truly stand out to stay up in the majors and look major league ready to make it worthwhile to kick Shaw to the curb. If Hiura were on any other team, with no competition at 2B, he's up for good, no questions asked.

In keeper league, stay fully invested. In redraft, who knows, you might want to sell high. I'm sure, if Hiura keeps hitting homers, you can feel confident about Hiura taking Shaw's spot.

This interview leaves me with the impression Counsell wants Shaw back.

• Thanks 1

I like the bat, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets sent down for Shaw.  Whether he stays down, or whether they keep him up and (worst case scenario for we fantasy owners) run a committee approach between Shaw, Moose, and Hiura at 2B/3B & interleague DH, I don't know, but I do think Shaw is their 3B for 2020.  Unless something changes.  The latter would suck for owners of all 3 players.  As a Shaw owner I want Hiura to be named the man, or Hiura sent down (preferably the latter of course), so I can make a definitive decision on Shaw one way or another.  The worst is rostering a guy you can't cut, who doesn't play enough to start in your lineup.  The one negative on Hiura so far for me is the K's.  More AB's should help him tho.

3 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I like the bat, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets sent down for Shaw.  Whether he stays down, or whether they keep him up and (worst case scenario for we fantasy owners) run a committee approach between Shaw, Moose, and Hiura at 2B/3B & interleague DH, I don't know, but I do think Shaw is their 3B for 2020.  Unless something changes.  The latter would suck for owners of all 3 players.  As a Shaw owner I want Hiura to be named the man, or Hiura sent down (preferably the latter of course), so I can make a definitive decision on Shaw one way or another.  The worst is rostering a guy you can't cut, who doesn't play enough to start in your lineup.  The one negative on Hiura so far for me is the K's.  More AB's should help him tho.

I get what you're saying, but for any of this to happen, Shaw needs to perform.  Which he has shown no signs of doing.  All of his analytics, support his craptastic season to date.  I truly believe, if Hiura hits, he plays.  Nor do I expect Shaw to magically start hitting again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, Magoo said:

Travis Shaw looks to be about a week away. Really getting nervous the Brewers will send Hiura down. Hopefully Shaw moves to first. Otherwise this is troubling.

Why would Shaw play anywhere in the field at this point?  He is a giant black hole.  Hirura is performing really well. 

This isn't some last place, Baltimore-caliber team playing out the string for the next 4 full months so it doesn't matter who you play.  The AL Central is going to be a tight race all year and Milwaukee can't Mickey Mouse with trying to fix Shaw on the fly at the cost of losing games.  Shaw has had all of spring training and 2 months of the regular season to get it together and he hasn't.  You stick with Hirura and no brainer you have the better option of the two to help you make the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why would Shaw play anywhere in the field at this point?  He is a giant black hole.  Hirura is performing really well. 

This isn't some last place, Baltimore-caliber team playing out the string for the next 4 full months so it doesn't matter who you play.  The AL Central is going to be a tight race all year and Milwaukee can't Mickey Mouse with trying to fix Shaw on the fly at the cost of losing games.  Shaw has had all of spring training and 2 months of the regular season to get it together and he hasn't.  You stick with Hirura and no brainer you have the better option of the two to help you make the playoffs.

While I personally agree with you, we’ve seen “proven” vets get more leash and chance rebound before. And Shaw isn’t a pending FA so the team has more incentive to try to get him out of it and see if he can’t contribute. I hope they keep him down for a while to give Hiura more time to make it a complete non issue.

Edited by Magoo