The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I’m nervous. We’ll see how this plays out. Got a feeling Hiura will be the one sent back down.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Yeah @Backdoor Slider it feels like they are gonna go back to Shaw...it will be a shorter leash this time, but frustrating for Hiura as the stage has not been too big for him at all.

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It's hard to really fault them for going back to Shaw. He's crushing some really tough triple A pitching in the notoriusly pitcher-friendly PCL which has incorprated some really soft baseballs that don't carry to an eye-poping .163/.266/.281 line with a league leading 18wRC+. 

Slugging .174 will put anyone on the fast-track, amirite?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Any chance they'll send Aguilar down (if he has options) to get his swing figured out, while Shaw backs up 1B and 3B? As a Hiura owner (biased), I don't really see why they'd send him down just to go crush Triple-A when Shaw and Aguilar can't get anything going.

Edited by jvfantasy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Slugging .174 will put anyone on the fast-track, amirite?

Ha! I even messed up the numbers. His AAA numbers are so similar to the crap he produced in the majors this year, I mixed them up. His AAA numbers are .174/.269/.174. Ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Ha! I even messed up the numbers. His AAA numbers are so similar to the crap he produced in the majors this year, I mixed them up. His AAA numbers are .174/.269/.174. Ridiculous.

Wow. That’s awful.   That alone will make me hold hiura for a bit just to see what happens with shaw..even if he’s sent down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Wow! That even makes Tyler White look good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Regardless of what’s done, a 19/1 K/BB ratio over 13 games justifies the worst case scenario

As right as you are, didn’t hiura struggle like crazy with plate discipline for like the first 2 weeks of aaa and then kind of adjust, figure it out and start mashing? Sucks that he’s probably not going to get that chance now.

4 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Regardless of what’s done, a 19/1 K/BB ratio over 13 games justifies the worst case scenario

It ain’t great, but no that’s not the only thing you look at. 

.261/.306/.763 while not great, is >>> Shaw’s .163/.266/.547 and if you want to include AAA numbers for both it’ll be even more embarrassing for Shaw.

The fact is, Hiura is the better hitter now. He also doesn’t force Mouse to 2B, so their defense is better with him in there. 

This is a “give our veteran another shot to do what we know he can do and we can send the kid down because he has options blah blah” move and there’s really no good justification for it.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

.261/.306/.763 while not great, is >>> Shaw’s .163/.266/.547 and if you want to include AAA numbers for both it’ll be even more embarrassing for Shaw.

The fact is, Hiura is the better hitter now. He also doesn’t force Mouse to 2B, so their defense is better with him in there. 

This is a “give our veteran another shot to do what we know he can do and we can send the kid down because he has options blah blah” move and there’s really no good justification for it.

As a Brewer fan, I'm not crazy about some of their choices. Let's see if they can get to the playoffs and go deep again. But I'm not feeling it as of today. (Sorry I know that's more of a Brewers outlook thread post).

I think they should keep Hiura at 2B (fantasy aside).

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m nervous. We’ll see how this plays out. Got a feeling Hiura will be the one sent back down.

Why would the guy who is hitting be sent down to be replaced by the guy who has become a basket case?  Are you saying Milwaukee wants to throw their season?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yet there are no financial implications with Shaw. That $ ship sailed a long time ago regardless of what level he's playing at. You can still manipulate service time and dollars with Hiura. 

17 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Yet there are no financial implications with Shaw. That $ ship sailed a long time ago regardless of what level he's playing at. You can still manipulate service time and dollars with Hiura. 

100% agree. This isn’t about the better player right now. Hiura needed to come up and Austin Riley if he was going to stay. He didn’t. So they’ll give Shaw another shot. 

4 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Am I only one here that actually thinks Travis Shaw is more of a threat to Jesus Agulliar and Thames? In the last 30 days Jesus has a 94 RC+ and Thames has a 74 RC+.

Think Thames is ousted and its a Shaw/Jesus Platoon at 1B. We shall see though. Travis Shaw has shown he is better than his current 2019 line.

• Like 3

Bomb #4 tonight. Happy to own him in my dynasty league. Performing well in his first taste of the bigs. 

53 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Bomb #4 tonight. Happy to own him in my dynasty league. Performing well in his first taste of the bigs. 

My main thing with Keston.. is that he has 'struggled' early-on in every time he got promoted over the past 2 years. After that, he raked. So to start off this well already is a great sign. Once he lowers that K% like I expect, could be a .300 guy with pop.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 10:43 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

100% agree. This isn’t about the better player right now. Hiura needed to come up and Austin Riley if he was going to stay. He didn’t. So they’ll give Shaw another shot. 

If you want to nitpick, he's really not that different from Riley. Both are striking out a ton and walking little. But are providing unsustainable BABIP and HR/FB numbers. It's just that Riley has hit 7 HRs to Hiura's 4. Of course, Hiura plays a positive 2B where as Riley plays a poor OF (which admittedly he's learning). So that closes the gap a bit.

Just to be clear some of you think Hiura will be sent down ? 

If anything send Augilar down, let that guy get his head and game straight, if anyone deserves a trip/A vacation it's him. 

23 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Just to be clear some of you think Hiura will be sent down ? 

If anything send Augilar down, let that guy get his head and game straight, if anyone deserves a trip/A vacation it's him. 

I think Hiura going back down is a possibility but I think you might be right about Aguilar being the odd man out. Shaw is playing 3b in the minors so maybe they play Moose at 1b and send Jesus down.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:23 PM, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

They aren't the O's who are just playing out the string the last 4 months.  They are playing for all the marbles in a very tight division.  You don't send down one of your best players and the gem of your farm system the last couple of years to try and tweak a three month disaster (spring training included) on the fly.  There would be riots in the cheese state if that happened.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think Hiura going back down is a possibility but I think you might be right about Aguilar being the odd man out. Shaw is playing 3b in the minors so maybe they play Moose at 1b and send Jesus down.

agreed...

Edited by knuckleheads

Everyone here hopes you guys are right. But this is from yesterday.  Counsell and the Brewers are all set to make an awful decision. Our only hope is that last night, and this weekend, Hiura changes their mind.

When Shaw returns, barring an injury to another player or a change in plans at first base, rookie second baseman Keston Hiura is expected to be optioned back to San Antonio. Hiura was summoned to play second base when Shaw went on the injured list, with Mike Moustakas moving back to third base.

Asked if that would be a tough call to make, Counsell said, “When we get to Sunday, we’ll have a decision to make. But Travis is going to join us on the home stand.”

Of getting almost nothing over one-third of the season from Shaw and Aguilar, Counsell said, “If anything, that leaves me hopeful, moving forward. You feel like Travis, with two years of big home runs, and Aggie with two years of hitting home runs, I’m optimistic.

“It hasn’t happened yet but that’s a place where we can expect more offense. Those guys are too good of hitters. It will come.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/05/30/brewers-bring-third-baseman-travis-shaw-back-majors-next-week/1277938001/

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Everyone here hopes you guys are right. But this is from yesterday.  Counsell and the Brewers are all set to make an awful decision. Our only hope is that last night, and this weekend, Hiura changes their mind.

When Shaw returns, barring an injury to another player or a change in plans at first base, rookie second baseman Keston Hiura is expected to be optioned back to San Antonio. Hiura was summoned to play second base when Shaw went on the injured list, with Mike Moustakas moving back to third base.

Asked if that would be a tough call to make, Counsell said, “When we get to Sunday, we’ll have a decision to make. But Travis is going to join us on the home stand.”

Of getting almost nothing over one-third of the season from Shaw and Aguilar, Counsell said, “If anything, that leaves me hopeful, moving forward. You feel like Travis, with two years of big home runs, and Aggie with two years of hitting home runs, I’m optimistic.

“It hasn’t happened yet but that’s a place where we can expect more offense. Those guys are too good of hitters. It will come.”

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/05/30/brewers-bring-third-baseman-travis-shaw-back-majors-next-week/1277938001/

So, “he’s been SO bad, he HAS to be good.”?  That’s so mr.burns pulling Darryl strawberry for Homer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1