Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

23 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

So, “he’s been SO bad, he HAS to be good.”?  That’s so mr.burns pulling Darryl strawberry for Homer.

isn't that the way fantasy managers think?   At least the astute ones...

See you gotta check under the hood to look at those underlying numbers to see that Shaw really was as bad as we thought.  See wait.  Oh s---...wtf is he talking about???

• Haha 1

OK guys, here's a breakdown of stuff I've seen posted:

1) Aguilar has NO options remaining, and he's been better in sporadic PT lately...he's not going anywhere

2) Thames has been missing his power but still managed to have great ABs and walk plenty...no options and not going anywhere

That's it, short of a phantom injury and IL stint, there is nobody that can move down besides Hiura...I don't agree with it at all, but with a 4 man bench there isn't anything else that can be done here.

36 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

1) Aguilar has NO options remaining, and he's been better in sporadic PT lately...he's not going anywhere

2) Thames has been missing his power but still managed to have great ABs and walk plenty...no options and not going anywhere

That's it, short of a phantom injury and IL stint, there is nobody that can move down besides Hiura...I don't agree with it at all, but with a 4 man bench there isn't anything else that can be done here.

For sure. And fans are going to riot. 

Hiura- .296/.345/.537

Let's hope a big weekend makes it impossible to do. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Once again a short bench is the result the total reliance on pitch counts. You have to carry one or two mediocre pitchers at the expense of bench bats.

A glimmer of hope? So I posted this in the Jimmy Nelson thread, but this move had me thinking.

Nottingham was taking the backup C ABs while Pina was down. Weird that this wouldn’t be a corresponding move. They’re not going to carry 3 catchers. I’m now thinking Nottingham is going to be the one sent down when they activate Shaw. Not sure if this is wishful thinking or not, but seems to make a ton of sense. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A glimmer of hope? So I posted this in the Jimmy Nelson thread, but this move had me thinking.

Nottingham was taking the backup C ABs while Pina was down. Weird that this wouldn’t be a corresponding move. They’re not going to carry 3 catchers. I’m now thinking Nottingham is going to be the one sent down when they activate Shaw. Not sure if this is wishful thinking or not, but seems to make a ton of sense. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Yeah this has to be it. Now will Shaw play more of a utility role-- maybe 2 starts at 3B and 1/2 at 1B a week?? See if he heats up...you can't very well keep Hiura up and make him a part-timer...

Posted (edited)

Sorry, just saw this. Now I’m not sure again 😭😥

EDIT: Unless it’s Moose to 1B, which some of the comments suggest is a possibility.

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Sad 1

And this isn't only just about Hirura.  Moose was doing well enough at 2B with his hitting but since he was moved back to his natural 3B comfort zone position he is one of the hottest hitters in all of baseball.  Putting Shaw at first screws up both Keston and the Moose and for what purpose?  To try and lose the NL Central?

Can we just get Craig Counsell admitted to the loony bin because everything he is saying about Shaw returning to 3B is totally crazy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

9th inning BOMB the game tying Kind! Brewers better not send him down for Shaw.

He's here to stay. 5 bombs already. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Moose out of the game with a right hand contusion after 9th inning HBP. Brewers out of position players in the 11th. Imagine an injury gives the team a good excuse to slow-play Moose while keeping Shaw and Huira up.

Edited by Quinn the Ezkamo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

They are in the middle of tight playoff race. 

The issue will work itself out. Even if he does have to be opted due to the current construction of the 25 man, it will be short.

Edit: Shaw himself has options BTW.

Edited by Slatykamora

Only in MLB can a hot hitting rookie with tons of upside be sent down/benched in favor of an overpaid vet who's not doing s---. Only in MLB.

• Like 5

I watched some of the game tonight, Augilar looks like the walking dead with a bat. I know the manager think Aggy and Shaw are too good to be bums, but it is what it is at this point. Sure both can hit better than they are if they keep getting at bats ROS. However when you're trying to win games and have high expectations like MIL has this year, it's silly to demote someone like Hiura who so far has shown he's ready now and making meaningful contributions, had some big moments already in his small sample. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

He's here to stay. 5 bombs already. 

The Brewers would have to be really dumb to send Hiura down or stunt his development by relegating him to a platoon.  So far Hiura has been a clear upgrade over even last year's version of Shaw.  Shaw was a very mediocre one-dimensional player last year, and he's obviously declined big time since last season.  The Brewers are not a rebuilding team concerned about service time.  They are trying to win a World Series right now, so I don't think Hiura's service time will work against him.

I have a million worries and concerns about my fantasy teams, but Hiura getting sent down for the worst player in baseball (I think it's neck and neck between Shaw and Chris Davis for the two worst players in baseball right now) isn't one of them.  I think that next week Nottingham is the one who gets sent down when Shaw gets activated and Shaw will take a backup utility role.  Given the brutal way he's hit this year in spring training, during the regular season, and even his rehab games, I fully expect Shaw to keep hitting under .200, and it would not surprise me at all if Shaw is sent to the minors by the end of June.  As others have mentioned, while Aguilar doesn't have any options remaining, Shaw has two remaining, and let's face it: as bad as Aguilar has been this year, Shaw has been a lot worse (Shaw can't even make contact)

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 3

My appologies if this has been brought up before.  But how is hiuras defense? (Harder to google)

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

The Brewers would have to be really dumb to send Hiura down or stunt his development by relegating him to a platoon.  So far Hiura has been a clear upgrade over even last year's version of Shaw.  Shaw was a very mediocre one-dimensional player last year, and he's obviously declined big time since last season.

I have a million worries and concerns about my fantasy teams, but Hiura getting sent down for the worst player in baseball (I think it's neck and neck between Shaw and Chris Davis for the two worst players in baseball right now) isn't one of them.  I think that next week Nottingham is the one who gets sent down when Shaw gets activated and Shaw will take a backup utility role.  Given the brutal way he's hit this year in spring training, during the regular season, and even his rehab games, I fully expect Shaw to keep hitting under .200, and it would not surprise me at all if Shaw is sent to the minors by the end of June.  As others have mentioned, while Aguilar doesn't have any options remaining, Shaw has two remaining, and let's face it: as bad as Aguilar has been this year, Shaw has been a lot worse

Yes, yes, yes 100% yes.  But, we still have to remember that baseball players are people and not numbers,and every locker room is fluid and different. There is no way to quantify things like players playing through injuries because they are afraid they’ll lose their job, or players afraid to slump because a rookie will replace them.  Maybe the vets have a stronger voice on some teams,maybe the manager made a promise and wants to keep players’ trust.  Let’s face it, this wouldn’t be the first time fantasy gms are banging their heads over a managers decision.  Eventually winning and keeping jobs is the most important thing, but in the meantime hiura owners might want to have a plan b in place just in case this not impossible scenario plays out.

Edited by Cesare13

31 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

My appologies if this has been brought up before.  But how is hiuras defense? (Harder to google)

From what I understand, not great (though not a butcher in the field, either). 

He is not a negative defender at this point on Fangraphs. And he turned a double play last night to end the game.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that if he’s not there, Moose or Shaw is there playing out of position. So definitely seems like a benefit to have a true 2B there.

• Like 1

Anyone else own him in a weekly league? I REALLY hope there’s some clarity today. Considering there’s no game for MIL on Monday, decision to start or sit will need to be made. Yuck.

29 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Anyone else own him in a weekly league? I REALLY hope there’s some clarity today. Considering there’s no game for MIL on Monday, decision to start or sit will need to be made. Yuck.

I’ve got him in 7 out of 8 of my weekly leagues so I’m in the same boat. I’m guessing we should hear what the decision will be sometime tomorrow. First game starts at 4:05EST, so hopefully there’s news before that.

• Like 1