The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

Do they really need Hernan Perez if Hiura is hitting and Shaw moves into until type role?

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Do they really need Hernan Perez if Hiura is hitting and Shaw moves into until type role?

He's ok (Hernan) the org and esp Council love the guy and play him far too often...I can assure you he's not going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He's ok (Hernan) the org and esp Council love the guy and play him far too often...I can assure you he's not going anywhere.

I know a guy can hope. Sending Hiura  down after moving to clean up would be...surprising.

Just now, Magoo said:

I know a guy can hope. Sending Hiura  down after moving to clean up would be...surprising.

Yeah I hear you. He's making it crazy difficult for them to option him. Thames and Jesus have been very much replacement level (or even sub that) so it leaves the option of using Moose or Shaw at 1B too...just not sure how they achieve that with a 4 man bench?

Yeah the Brewers can't screw this up. That division is too tight. Hiura can be the difference between another central title or missing the playoffs by a game 

Hiura bats cleanupWith Moustakas out and Lorenzo Cain and Yasmani Grandal getting some rest, Counsell had to reconfigure his lineup. He chose rookie Keston Hiura to bat fourth for the first time, in only his 17th big-league game. As for the importance of that, Counsell smirked and said, “There’s no crown for hitting fourth. We don’t give them a crown for doing it. I would say I didn’t expect those four guys (Moustakas, Cain, Grandal, Jesús Aguilar) to be on the bench.”

Man, I can’t stand Counsell. Seems to be of no importance that he hit cleanup today, and he mentions Aguilar in there, as if he’s a solid option. 

• Like 2

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2019/06/03/haudricourt-brewers-face-tough-decision-hiura-when-shaw-returns/1326768001/

Nothing concrete, but just about the options. Ridiculous.

Still weighing the weekly league. Worst case he’s sent down, obviously. But if he stays up, I’m assuming he’ll stay to start, but will he sit once/twice week until they realize how bad their other hitters really are? 

How can they sit him?  He’s come up and hit and done well.  Can’t Shaw/Andy Ruiz Aguilar platoon at first?  Mix Thames in off bench and in OF.  Doesn’t seem like a fun time to own many Brewers outside of Yelich, Grandal and maybe lesser extent Moose.

22 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

How can they sit him?  He’s come up and hit and done well.  Can’t Shaw/Andy Ruiz Aguilar platoon at first?  Mix Thames in off bench and in OF.  Doesn’t seem like a fun time to own many Brewers outside of Yelich, Grandal and maybe lesser extent Moose.

Keeping 3 1B and HPerez is the problem. They won’t sit him. The worry is Counsell loves his grizzled vets and he thinks they’re all “due” to start hitting any day now, because that’s apparently how baseball works. So it’s possible they send him back down “so he can work on his defense and continue to get regular ABs.” 

4 hours ago, ghostdragon said:

probably take a chance this week.. and start him.. hopefully they still play him

Think I’m going to bench in weekly. Obviously depends on your option, but in all likelihood the difference in a week is minimal. There’s always the chance the other player outperforms other Hiura even if up. And not the downside of losing out in 6 full games of production. 

Yeah, it does seem like every remark Counsel has made regarding this is leaning toward him going with the vets for now. It's almost like he's prepping the Brewer fan base and media for it.  I hope that's not the case, but if Shaw returns hitting the same way he was before he got put on the IL, I just can't see how they can continue to roll him out there every day.

5 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

Yeah, it does seem like every remark Counsel has made regarding this is leaning toward him going with the vets for now. It's almost like he's prepping the Brewer fan base and media for it.  I hope that's not the case, but if Shaw returns hitting the same way he was before he got put on the IL, I just can't see how they can continue to roll him out there every day.

Pretty much, CC is vet friendly manager. It's not gonna change when he can continually rely on numbers from years past instead of what we can all plainly see with our eyeballs...in fact, they are really putting Shaw into the pressure cooker. Hiura looks ready and if they sit him and Shaw has a slow start, this thing could really snowball...and Shaw does not strike me as a guy that is gonna thrive with the added pressure.

I wish Keston would take a page out of Scherzer’s playbook:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Brewers fans should be irate and Shaw is going to be under a microscope rarely seen for baseball players. Hiura is obviously a hold.

• Like 3

Notice Stearns won’t even say it doesn’t make them worse. Only that organizational depth also important. Lol wut

Its amazing to me they dont option Aguilar and his .190 avg and zero production and play Shaw/Thames at 1B if they really want Shaw to play. Moving a guy thats actually hitting and part of your future while Moose is on a 1 year deal and you now have two zeros (Shaw/Aguilar) on the MLB roster seems a weird move. 

• Like 1

It's funny because I kept checking into this thread laughing at people who honestly thought Hiura would be sent down. I guess I underestimated the Brewers stupidity. We just have to hope Shaw strikes out in his first at bat and he gets booed out of the Stadium. 

• Like 1

I believe it was stated earlier that Aguilar doesn't have any options left. He's just a blob on the bench at this point. I don't know what Shaw's leash will be, but based on this move I'm guessing it's longer than anyone here would be expecting.

4 minutes ago, dzemens said:

Its amazing to me they dont option Aguilar and his .190 avg and zero production

Aguilar's out of minor league options, and would be unlikely to clear waivers.

• Like 1